Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Yeah, these new articles still shed no light whatsoever really about what they're planning.

WHAT IS THIS SHOW ACTUALLY GOING TO BE ABOUT? :whatever:

This is interesting, I guess? From the Hollywood Reporter article:

What is Peter Jackson's involvement?

We're in conversations with him that I think are very amicable about how much involvement he wants and what kind. We haven't figured out exactly what that is yet. He may say he is involved or he's not involved. We're still very much in conversation with him about what kind of involvement he would propose.

Yall really need to be patient. This show is two years away at least. It's still in the very early preproduction stages. We probably arent going to find out plot details until sometime in the second half of next year.

Per episode:

Season 1 - $6 million
Season 2 - $7 million
Season 3 - $8 million
Season 4 - $8 million
Season 5 - $10 million
Season 6 - $10+ million
Season 7 - $10+ million
Season 8 - $15+ million

Its about $660 - $700 million for 73 episodes. But that's just what's been reported. The real total budget plus the marketing costs and release costs (including limited IMAX releases) probably puts GOT's budget closer to $1 billion.
Since season 5 that's mostly due to the high salaries. Supposedly the main cast are getting 500K-1million an episode.

If that's true, the budget has to be even higher than reported. As the set design and special effects are way beyond season 1.

If Lord of the Rings truly has a huge budget like reported; it's gonna be INSANE for tv.

GoT has an insane size of cast, and many more very important characters than nearly anything else I can think of. Even LotR won’t have that many big characters to cater for. Which means more money for effects, costumes, sets etc.

So what’s the latest on this? I’m not expecting it until 2021 unfortunately.

I hope this never gets made. A Middle Earth TV series sounds all sorts of bad.

It'll get made but I'm not sure it's going to end up adapting any of the books. It sounds like it's going to be a series of stories based off Tolkien's works rather than a straight adaptation. Maybe they think that's been done already.

As for Peter Jackson, I can't see him every wanting to wade back into Tolkien after what happened with The Hobbit. He did so much work on those movies but they still ended up being a mess.

I hope this never gets made. A Middle Earth TV series sounds all sorts of bad.
You've seen how much Amazon paid for this, right? It's happening, for better or worse.

It'll get made but I'm not sure it's going to end up adapting any of the books. It sounds like it's going to be a series of stories based off Tolkien's works rather than a straight adaptation. Maybe they think that's been done already.

As for Peter Jackson, I can't see him every wanting to wade back into Tolkien after what happened with The Hobbit. He did so much work on those movies but they still ended up being a mess.
I'm still hoping that they get around the re-adapting the books, even if we are talking way down the road. I imagine it could happen sooner if their initial plans don't catch fire the way they hope they will.

I think it'll be about Aragorn. I'm already trying to come up with my casting choices for him and the rest of the characters we might reasonably expect in a series like this (Arwen, young Denethor, young Theoden, Halbarad, sons of Elrond, etc.) Anybody got any suggestions?

I think it'll be about Aragorn. I'm already trying to come up with my casting choices for him and the rest of the characters we might reasonably expect in a series like this (Arwen, young Denethor, young Theoden, Halbarad, sons of Elrond, etc.) Anybody got any suggestions?
Bring back the one true Aragorn, Viggo Mortensen.

I don’t mind if this is a few years away, just get it right from the beginning, like Game of Thrones.

Don't know if I'm missing it but I can't find an existing thread for this series.

Production budget is $1 billion for the first season (though $250 million of that might have been for the rights). Based on the timeline of the rights I believe they have to start shooting this year.

Show-runners are writing partners JD Payne and Patrick McKay, who have been in the industry for a bit now but have yet to had one of their projects actually make it to the screen. They're working with JJ Abrams on Star Trek 4 and sounds like JJ basically hooked them up with this gig by recommending them to Jennifer Salke, head of Amazon Studios.

Sounds like the story will basically be "The Adventures of Young Aragorn."

This might not shoot in New Zealand. It does sound like Scotland will be getting at least some of the location shooting...

New £1bn Lord of the Rings prequel to be filmed in Scotland

Ever since it was reported that this would focus on a young Aragorn, my anticipation has cooled a bit. It's just... so lackluster when you consider what they could be doing instead.

Amazon spent half a billion dollars on this. How they could spend that much money and not walk away with the rights to The Silmarillion is simply staggering to me. But even if we take Silmarillion off the table, they have the entire Second Age and Last Alliance to work with.

Yeah that is disappointing. Still, Aragorn is an awesome character with a rich backstory they could explore. It also gives people a touchstone who were fans of only the LOTR books of the films. And maybe if this first season is a hit, they could exlpore some Silmarllion stuff in later seasons? It’s not like Amazon doesn’t have the money to get those rights if they want them.

But yeah... I’d seriously much rather have a Morgoth series.

Ever since it was reported that this would focus on a young Aragorn, my anticipation has cooled a bit. It's just... so lackluster when you consider what they could be doing instead.

Amazon spent half a billion dollars on this. How they could spend that much money and not walk away with the rights to The Silmarillion is simply staggering to me. But even if we take Silmarillion off the table, they have the entire Second Age and Last Alliance to work with.
100% agree.

I liked Aragorn. Seeing his early interactions with the elves and Arwen would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"