• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

Wooo!!! This movie was awesome. And yes, I liked this even more than Fury Road. Yes I said it. Specifically because of Anya Taylor Joy, for me she was much more compelling to watch than Tom Hardy in Fury Road and I was invested in her revenge story.

This movie was a vibe though, maybe a LIL too long, maybe couldve been shaved down by 10 mins but this was cinema. The visuals, the score, the nonstop narrative pace, Anya's regal acting, Hemsworth's bats*** crazy scene chewing, the tense chases, this is what you go to the movies for.

Last edited:

Unlike Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, last year’s big Hollywood premiere at Cannes which was knifed by critics, Furiosa won many over with 89% certified fresh on RT. Knock on wood, Furiosa on the Rotten Tomatoes audience meter is 96%. Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak exits on the Taylor-Joy and Chris Hemsworth movie is also very strong at 4 1/2 stars and a 70% recommend. Men at 68% gave the pic an 87% score while women at 32% gave it 81%. Hopefully all good word of mouth pays off during the Friday through Sunday span.

I just got home from watching the film. What a FUN RIDE!

I'll give my thoughts on the film while also including some pros and cons while doing my very best to remain spoiler free.

First off, the film was not what I expected in terms of storytelling. It was done differently from all films before it, but that is not a bad thing. The Film is 100% a Furiosa story and full origins packed in its runtime, but again, that is not a bad thing at all in my opinion as I like the way Miller told the story. If you are expecting a non-stop action filled linear sequence like Fury Road, this is not it. But the buildup to the events of Fury Road was very entertaining and I loved every bit of it. You will still be getting lots of action, stunning imagery and sound no doubt about that!

Before my viewing I had read a few mentions of disappointment regarding the overuse of CGI. While I can confirm the film had more CGI than Fury Road, I cannot really complain about it. It was mostly done very well with only one scene standing out to me that was lacking. The scene in question was likely a filler transition scene thought of or done after filming had wrapped. No big deal to me as it really was the only scene that stood out in such a way.

All the actors/Actresses did an amazing job! I had read a few reviews saying that Chris Hemsworth stole the show. His performance as Dementus was indeed spectacular and a standout performance! However, Anya Taylor-Joy stood out to me the most! Which is quite surprising as she was one of my early worries because I had loved Charlize Theron so much in the role. Anya stepped in and was amazing as Furiosa!

It was fun to see several returning people from Fury Road and those that were recast were done so extremely well! Plenty of fun new characters and some we are already familiar with. To my surprise, there were even some that were in the Mad Max Video game that were not in the previous films. I recall reading something about the game now being loosely canon a good while back and I suppose these were part of that connection.

There are a few other fun details, but I'll avoid being so direct as they can be a bit more spoiler specific. All I can say is keep your eyes peeled for a cameo or two.

Obviously, I'm a fan and loved it. I hope it does well so Miller can bring us more adventures! I miss Max and hope to see him again soon, but even though Furiosa's story likely closed with Fury Road, I'd welcome her back anytime as well.

Last edited:
I loved it.

I’m so happy to say. This lived up to my own hype. It played beautifully as a prequel and I just want to jump into fury road. George Miller you beautiful maniac! Hemsworth is aces! ATJ can say everything with only her eyes, her devilish and angelic eyes, like a Disney nightmare princess. I pray to the wasteland we get more adventures from Miller.

Also, I would also get that painting done in my home. If you’ve seen the flick, you know what I mean. One of the greatest prequels of all time! I said it.

I would agree with it being one of the best prequels ever, but to be fair, most prequels suck lol

I would agree with it being one of the best prequels ever, but to be fair, most prequels suck lol

I may still be too hyped, but this is the godfather II for Miller. The actress who plays the mom was also wonderful. I want more guzzolline!!!

I dont know if I would go that far. I think Road Warrior was The Godfather Part 2 of the series. But it's a great movie no doubt. I can see what you mean from a story standpoint cause this would be similar to the Vito section of that movie

Last edited:
Furiosa is also one of those prequels that a first time viewer can watch first because while having prior knowledge of Fury Road enhances the experience a bit, it isn't necessary to follow the story. As long as they shut off the movie as soon as the credits start before watching Fury Road, that is. :o

Also, I rewatched Fury Road after the fact and...
while I've always loved this moment and it truly is one of the best parts of the movie, I'll be damned if seeing Furiosa didn't make it even MORE poignant and powerful.

You feel Furiosa's pain even more having seen where she came from and knowing all that she'd been through leading up to that.

There were moments where i would swear Charlize Theron was doing ADR. ATJ did a phenominal job affecting Theron’s voice and her look.

I'm already dying to see this again. Pre ordered the steelbook! I have to say, it's been amazing watching Anya Taylor Joys success over the last decade. Ever since I saw her in The VVitch, I knew there was something special about her. So many actors wish they could have the career she's had and shes not even 30 yet.

That's disheartening. I know that it's not the biggest franchise by any means but I was expecting it to at least match Fury Road's $45M opening weekend take. Hopefully it can hang in there with some good WOM.

Damn.

Yep... I made a post a few pages ago about the film's poor start here in France (70,000 tickets sold on opening day including preview vs. 270,000 for Fury Road...) and I read that Imax theaters were only 35% full in Montreal for the first WE (but I need a more solid source on that)...
Since the film has been well received by critics, let's hope that translates to the public and that word-of-mouth works a small miracle.

Normally i would say that this is one of those movies that might just be too crazy and eccentric for mass audiences but we’re living in an era where DUNE is now a mega franchise so clearly audiences have an appetite for this kind of weird, sci-fi dystopia stuff. So i wonder what the divide is here.

I didn't wanna say anything, but I couldn't go to the better theater cause of party planning. So I went to the more local one, which usually has smaller crowds on a good day. But opening night at 7pm, I literally was only person in the theater. So....I am hoping this finds some legs, cause yeah that's not an opening that bodes well for another Mad Max

Saw the movie and it was probably just as good as Fury Road well not quite up to its standard but still good nonetheless

Sf0TJ.jpg

Sf0TG.jpg
hotter than Arrakis in summer.

The Cinemascore should be published Saturday morning. Fury Road's was B+. Of course, they never ask me.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga: B+

Critics reviews (updated May 25):

Audience reactions (updated May 25):

Had this been a bit more similar to FR I think it would have faired better. It’s a C19 film and that was also part of the problem. Plus, GM tried to reinvent the wheel when he already had a wining formula on his hands.

Furiosa is just not cut from the same cloth as Fury Road. Furiosa is a lot more eccentric, brutal and weird… It’s messy, unfocused, glossy and much more abstract and fantasy orientated than its predecessor. I don’t think it’s as audience friendly as FR either.

As much people try to paint the action in Furiosa as being on par with that of Fury Road that just simply isn’t the case. Nothing in Furiosa is as good as FR. The inventiveness is 100% there for sure but the visuals are not on par, the CGI backgrounds are off putting which detracts from the whole experience plus the FR action sequences are simply unbeatable, with the practical, on location filming, the great score, that more lived in, tangible, rusty look is a big part of it as well plus the CGI is there to augment the final product while in Furiosa it’s there to make those scenes possible which is a much bigger difference.

Furiosa is still living critically off of the coattails from FR. The general audience is clearly not buying into the overall look and feel of the film otherwise we would be seeing more of a stronger footprint at the BO. So far it’s looking pretty underwhelming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"