• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

Saw this yesterday and it was great.

ATJ channels perfectly Charlize Theron, especially in the last act and Hemsworth stole every scene he was in.

The action and visuals (despite a few wonky CGI shots) were amazing and the 15-min rig sequence was chef's kiss.

Not as good as Fury Road, but a great prequel that expands the world and I am just floored by what Miller does at 79 while I complain about back problems while doing the laundry at 30.

8/10

But again, is Furiousa as a movie that much more eccentric than Dune? Dune was a franchise that for a long long time had a hard time landing with mass audiences because of its weirdness and eccentricities and now look at it. What did Furiousa lack in its marketing that Dune had?

But again, is Furiousa as a movie that much more eccentric than Dune? Dune was a franchise that for a long long time had a hard time landing with mass audiences because of its weirdness and eccentricities and now look at it. What did Furiousa lack in its marketing that Dune had?
Im intrigued by this question myself. Im about to watch this film today and in my afternoon showing theres only 5 people who have brought tickets my social circle hasn't mentioned seing this film either and they liked FR lol. I generally don't know what the disconnect is. The marketing and promotion has been pretty good. I guess a good word of mouth will help but for it to stumble out of the gates like it has is weird.

Thought it was great and had a fun time. I have some minor complaints about it but overall pretty happy. Curious to hear why some people did not like it because nothing really stood out as being really off (imo but maybe if someone else brings something up it might click for me).

Just some thoughts/minor nitpicks:
I was surprised that it takes about an hour before ATJ shows up on screen. I thought the kid actor was good and they got the resemblance pretty accurate imo, but I was still surprised how long that early section dragged on. Not to say that was bad at all, just felt odd to see our main actress enter the film almost halfway through the film.

I know they did it in Fury Road as well but some of the jerky motion and sped up shots didn't quite work for me. It's a minor nitpick though because it's not like that happens in every scene.

My main issue with the film is probably how "episodic" it felt. Lots of scenes fading to black leading to another scene fading to black and it didn't have that great flow that Fury Road had. Even if Fury Road was light on story I will say this felt even lighter. I think you could still have done the vengeance story but had a little bit more going on storywise.

One positive I want to highlight though is that I did really like the action setpiece of the first proper tanker sequence when Furiosa gets to kick ass and help Jack ward off the attackers. That setpiece was maybe the one time during the movie I felt we were keeping up with the level set by Fury Road.

And yeah I do think ATJ did great as Furiosa and to "match" the template set by Charlize in the last one. I also thought Chris Hemsworth was perfectly hammy as the bad guy and it was nice to see him have fun and play something different than Thor.

Different animals. I had my nitpicks with Dune 2 but it’s overall much better executed and more cohesive than Furiosa. Dune 2 was truly an epic and much bigger in scope, also with soundtrack and visuals to go with it.

Even when we compare FR with the first Dune. They are completely different animals. Dune is much broader and far reaching while FR is an incredibly complete and compact package.

I like FR better than any of the Dune films though and I liked a lot/loved the first Dune even more than the second actually.

I can't begin to understand the full extent of the disconnect, but I do think part of it might be that in general, audiences are wary of a "[name your IP] Story Without [main character from IP]" premise. It's always a bit of risky move, imo. I could imagine many just saw this as a "Mad Max movie without Mad Max" kind of thing. The barrage of Sony "Spider-Man movies without Spider-Man" probably haven't helped that stigma. Look at the Egerton/Firth-free Kingsman prequel or the Katniss-free Hunger Games prequel for further recent examples that disappointed big time at the box office.

Of course, Furiosa is much, MUCH better than those, but with the collapse of the MCU projects starring the lesser known characters as well, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that audiences are kind of sick of spinoffs/prequels/etc. that don't feature the main faces of these franchises.

It's kind of a sucky thing to say especially since I love George Miller and any story he wants to tell in this world is one I will pay to watch, however my main feeling when this was announced was "Is this a story we really need to see?" (how Furiosa becomes Furiosa) and even though I had a blast in the cinema and enjoyed the film, I still kinda feel that. But it's a beef I have with pretty much every prequel film.

I can relate to what's been said here. In my circle of friends, who are huge and quite eclectic cinephiles, they always thought Furiosa looked bad, and this from the first trailer. While I agree that the film looked CGI-heavy (in a bad sense), I wondered why they were so adamant because the film still looked like he had much more to offer. I don't know if they finally went to see it or if they intend to, didn't had the time to catch on about that, but there's definitely a disconnect between that film and the audience.
Oddly enough, I'm the guy who "missed" Mad Max (I only saw Fury Road once years ago and I'm still discovering the original trilogy now) and yet I'm super interested in this movie. If it weren't linked to something else, my interest would be exactly the same. The "epic" tone in a Heavy Metal-style universe may seem niche, but it still seems pretty fresh to me in the cinematic landscape. Also, it features one of the biggest stars of the moment and there was that huge and positive Cannes coverage... But still, things are apparently not catching on.

About Dune, I think that what may have helped this franchise to meet the public eye was that it had a few more star-power. Chalamet, Zendaya, Momoa... All very popular with people who go to the movies the most. And then Villeneuve worked his magic...
Also, maybe the film's promise was simply much more in tune with what audiences wanted. Some things are hard to predict.

I can't begin to understand the full extent of the disconnect, but I do think part of it might be that in general, audiences are wary of a "[name your IP] Story Without [main character from IP]" premise. It's always a bit of risky move, imo. I could imagine many just saw this as a "Mad Max movie without Mad Max" kind of thing. The barrage of Sony "Spider-Man movies without Spider-Man" probably haven't helped that stigma. Look at the Egerton/Firth-free Kingsman prequel or the Katniss-free Hunger Games prequel for further recent examples that disappointed big time at the box office.

Of course, Furiosa is much, MUCH better than those, but with the collapse of the MCU projects starring the lesser known characters as well, I'm starting to get the distinct impression that audiences are kind of sick of spinoffs/prequels/etc. that don't feature the main faces of these franchises.

It's a valid argument, but I'm not sure if it really applies to this film. Or at least not completely.
Just to share my perspective: it seems to me that it's indeed Mad Max afficionados who talk the most about Furiosa the most and who already went see it. In fact, I don't think "Max" as a character is still really popular (an argument can be made about Hardy eventually boosting the sales though). The original saga is over forty years old, and Fury Road is almost ten. Those who grew up with the first films, whether they were kids from the 70s or 80s, and those who discovered all this later with Fury Road are almost all automatically over 30 and are perhaps no longer in the age range to be rushing to the cinema...

I'm pulling a theory out of my hat here, but I think we're seeing a lot big licenses movies fail because, quite simply, a new generation of viewers is emerging who may just consider that all of this "isn't for them" (and it's kind of true). On a forum like this, we're in a bit of an echo chamber, but if you consider that young adults are generally the bracket that enables big box-office numbers, I'm personally seeing more and more of them who haven't seen Star Wars, Aliens, Jurassic-Park or even Nolan's Batman films and so on. And just don't really care about it. These are not their childhood, they developped other interests and so , there's no push for them to see all thoses new movies.

When this period of revivals and other legacy films, which we're still in, began between 2012 and 2015, it was really aimed at the "young" 20-30 year olds, with a not inconsiderable nostalgia factor. But now ten years have gone by and the composition of the audience and its tastes have, I believe, changed much more than we think.

Last edited:

Yeah, this kind of nails it.

Dune 2 was coming off the acclaim of the first 3 years later with the same cast and a continuation of the story.

If Miller had made a direct sequel Fury Road 2 instead with Hardy and Theron returning I’d say it would be a completely different story this morning.

But see, i dont know, i guess my reading of the general audiences shifting tastes are off then. I was thinking with the success of Dune, Oppenheimer, Barbie, and even something like Everything Everywhere all at Once was suggesting that audiences were just looking for something different now in their blockbuster movies as they move away from superheroes and and the same old IP sequels over and over.

Furiousa to me fit that mold of weird, esoteric action film that i would have thought was what audiences were wanting more of based on the success of the aforementioned movies plus the trailers in my opinion have been bangers.

Oof this summer's not off to a good start box office wise.

Thought it was great and had a fun time. I have some minor complaints about it but overall pretty happy. Curious to hear why some people did not like it because nothing really stood out as being really off (imo but maybe if someone else brings something up it might click for me).

Just some thoughts/minor nitpicks:
I was surprised that it takes about an hour before ATJ shows up on screen. I thought the kid actor was good and they got the resemblance pretty accurate imo, but I was still surprised how long that early section dragged on. Not to say that was bad at all, just felt odd to see our main actress enter the film almost halfway through the film.

I know they did it in Fury Road as well but some of the jerky motion and sped up shots didn't quite work for me. It's a minor nitpick though because it's not like that happens in every scene.

My main issue with the film is probably how "episodic" it felt. Lots of scenes fading to black leading to another scene fading to black and it didn't have that great flow that Fury Road had. Even if Fury Road was light on story I will say this felt even lighter. I think you could still have done the vengeance story but had a little bit more going on storywise.

One positive I want to highlight though is that I did really like the action setpiece of the first proper tanker sequence when Furiosa gets to kick ass and help Jack ward off the attackers. That setpiece was maybe the one time during the movie I felt we were keeping up with the level set by Fury Road.

And yeah I do think ATJ did great as Furiosa and to "match" the template set by Charlize in the last one. I also thought Chris Hemsworth was perfectly hammy as the bad guy and it was nice to see him have fun and play something different than Thor.
Holy crap i thought i would be the only one that clocked this. With the first point i was generally taken back by how long she took to appear aswell lool i know it may seem silly to others but that first act was longer than i thought it would be with young Furiousa and ATJ turning up at the beginning of the 2nd act was abit of a relief. I feel the pacing was off throughout which brings me to your second point.

I haven't seen fade out to black seen used so aggressively like this film does lol looking at it through a editing lens. I see it as quite lazy and disrupted the flow especially with the chapter title screens thrown in there.

Overall though i had a blast. Action was great, everyone had there moments to shine especially Hemsworth, I can see why ATJ was chosen. I was pretty much captivated by her eye movements throughout. Score was better than i was told to believe so im happy with that.

Some great discussions on why this film is abit decisive and why the modern audience are voting with there wallets on what they actually want to invest there time in. FR to me is the more streamlined film (I watched it before seing this) Furiosa does a great job in the world building of madmax and as a prequel ultimately thats what you want. I do feel this doesn't have rewatch ability. Me personally i probably wont watch again.

Oh and my showing had 10 people max. Age range was 40's to 60s when i scanned the room, make of that what you will.

But see, i dont know, i guess my reading of the general audiences shifting tastes are off then. I was thinking with the success of Dune, Oppenheimer, Barbie, and even something like Everything Everywhere all at Once was suggesting that audiences were just looking for something different now in their blockbuster movies as they move away from superheroes and and the same old IP sequels over and over.

But then that’s discounting Jurassic World Dominion making a billion just two summers ago. Or Avatar 2. Or Top Gun 2.

I don’t think you’re wrong people looking for something new. I just think there’s still some goodwill in some classic IP under the right circumstances. Hence if this felt less spin-off and more continuation.

It’s probably why Deadpool and Wolverine will be the only 800M+ film this summer.

But I wonder if we get Mad Max: The Wasteland after this film? Because it has taken so long to make a Fury Road sequel so what is the hold up? If you don't want to bring Hardy back as Max, then recast the role for the sequel problem solved

If this bombs i think this franchise ends here honestly no matter what Georg Miler wants. :(
I mean Fury Road didn't do great and that was a highly regarded film (though some of that has come after its cinematic release and people being late to the party). I feel like Furiosa was always going to have some struggles to even match those numbers, even if I'm sure some people were hopeful the hype post Fury Road would mean more people seeing this in the cinema.

Even if I don't think Furiosa is a masterpiece or anything by far it's still sad when fans of big blockbuster action movies aren't going out to see these films shot on location with real stunts but will instead go see other big movies filmed 95% in front of green screens in the comfort of a studio with an abundance of CGI.

That can mostly be summed up in one photo:

1716647779633.png

An in-demand cast, each of them coming off of recent huge hits. Chalamet with Wonka, Zendaya with No Way Home, Pugh with Oppenheimer and Butler with Elvis.

To a lesser extent, the popcorn bucket. Yes I'm serious. The fact that it went viral the way it did brought more attention to Dune on social media.

Also, Dune 2 came along when audiences were absolutely starved to see something good at the movies. It followed up a two month wasteland of movies like Argylle and Madame Web. By comparison, Furiosa is coming out after a steady run of movies like Challengers, The Fall Guy, and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes.

As a movie, I'd also call Dune more accessible to wide audiences than Furiosa. Furiosa is still a great film and it still has genuine stars in ATJ and Hemsworth but it's a little more in-depth in the lore than Fury Road was, which more casual moviegoers might not be into.

But apart from all that, I think FC hit the nail on the head with this assessment.

Seeing it today but I agree on people not flocking to this because it's a prequel/spinoff.

We want a continuing story.

6YrLtCm.gif

A continuing story with an adult Furiosa then you would have to bring back Charlize or you would have to recast

Seeing it today but I agree on people not flocking to this because it's a prequel/spinoff.

We want a continuing story.

6YrLtCm.gif
Without spoiling anything, this movie feels like it was made more for Fury Road fans who wanted to see more from that specific part of the franchise than something to appeal to broader audiences. No complaints from me in that department but I can totally understand why more casual moviegoers might not buy it.

Oh well, at least we got the movie and its fire. I honestly think this is a good note for GM to bow out on in this franchise. This isnt one of those series that needs to go on and on.

Saw it yesterday with my father, we were entertained.
Anya Taylor-Joy was good as a younger Furiosa, same for the kid actress.
Funny thing, my dad thought Dementus bikes charior was over the top and he knows his Mad Max !

Random :
No Corpus Colossus.
Pretorian instead of Imperator title.
The end scene where Furiosa breaks out the wifes doesn't seem to match with Road Fury.
Max spoted on the cliffs, V8 Interceptor !

Last edited:
I think we have to remember, Mad Max Fury Road only made just under 400 mil WW. So Mad Max has never been a Star Wars level franchise. This movie came 9 years after that one, so it doesn't have the same upward momentum it would have had it come out say 5 years ago. So in the end, maybe they just missed their window on a Furiosa movie.

Saw it yesterday with my father, we were entertained.
Anya Taylor-Joy was good as a younger Furiosa, same for the kid actress.
Funny thing, my dad thought Dementus bikes charior was over the top and he knows his Mad Max !

Random :
No Corpus Colossus.
Pretorian instead of Imperator title.
The end scene where Furiosa breaks out the wifes doesn't seem to match with Road Fury.
Max spoted on the cliffs, V8 Interseptor !
Roh et les spoilers Monsieur Xavier ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"