• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

I tend to view my girl is a decent predictor of the interest in a movie, and I was thinking "uh oh" when she would ask me where's Tom and Charlize while watching the trailer or whenever a commercial came on.

I didn’t like it as much as the last one, but was still enjoyable. The first fury road sequence was amazing and some of the best stunts I’ve ever seen.

One thing that bugged me is they implied it was a big deal she was hiding that she wasn’t a male. Then they find out and nothing happens. Also, when she escaped, there was no repercussions or anything for anyone.

One thing that bugged me is they implied it was a big deal she was hiding that she wasn’t a male. Then they find out and nothing happens. Also, when she escaped, there was no repercussions or anything for anyone.
That's what I was trying to figure out.

There had to have been some scenes cut because there's no way someone like Immortan Joe would have been cool with her escaping a life of servitude as one of his wives.

I just assumed they didn't recognize her, and believed her to be a new person all together ... an once Praetorian Jack vulged for her as his new apprentice/ she was consider under his protected...

That's what I was trying to figure out.

There had to have been some scenes cut because there's no way someone like Immortan Joe would have been cool with her escaping a life of servitude as one of his wives.
Yeah they went out of their way to make Immortan Joe look like a reasonable guy compared to what we saw in FR

Yeah they went out of their way to make Immortan Joe look like a reasonable guy compared to what we saw in FR
I guess they didn't want to take any focus off of Dementus as the main villain. It wasn't so much "Joe's an okay guy here" as much as it was "Joe's definitely a monster but don't worry about him right now".

Dune 2 also has that Chalament fellow and Zendaya. Those two alone are able to bring in the younger type audiences to the seats. At the very least make that certain demo aware of the film release etc. ATJ is far more talented than Zendaya to me, but she isn’t a well known name outside our niche groups, and Hemsworth has never been a box office type outside of mcu. FR also didn’t set the box office on fire, even after being declared an immediate classic and all them Oscar noms/wins.

The sci-fi sequel produced a $20,019 average and the CinemaScore ranked “A”, with a split of 59% male and 41% female audience, and 64% aged over 25. By race demographic, the film attracted a 65% Caucasian, 14% Hispanic, 9% African‐American, 8% Asian, and 4% Native‐American crowd.

Action movies and comic book movies in general almost always skew male (as in >=51%) to a small or great extent, female lead or not.

Furiosa gets a B+ CinemaScore like Mad Max: Fury Road. Males are present at 72%, the 18-34 crowd reps 55% of the audience, and Imax and PLFS rep 54% of the weekend gross. The movie is playing in the East and West, with AMC Lincoln Square so far he highest-grossing venue in the nation with $77K.

This isn't an exact apples-to-apples comparison as the first article takes into account the full weekend and not just opening Friday.

I liked it! But yeah the cinema I saw it in had like, eight people in it and for some reason when I asked my friends if they wanted to see it they were less than enthusiastic. No idea why everyone turned on it so quickly

I liked it! But yeah the cinema I saw it in had like, eight people in it and for some reason when I asked my friends if they wanted to see it they were less than enthusiastic. No idea why everyone turned on it so quickly
I don't think people turned on it so much as it was overestimated how many people actually were interested in this outside of cinephile and genre fan circles.

White men are more attracted to the material of an Australian post-Apocalypse.

This is less of a problem for Dune and Apes Kingdom.

I’m thinking the tracking for box office and Rotten Tomatoes survey for hype oversampled white men.

I didn’t like it as much as the last one, but was still enjoyable. The first fury road sequence was amazing and some of the best stunts I’ve ever seen.

She was hiding,

specifically from Rictus and being a bride. Once Jack brought her back, as Furiosa, her identity as Little D, was gone. She was no longer the "untouched" little kid, they assumed could be a bride. She was just another part of the populous. So there was no worry from the pedophile or becoming a bride.

Ladies and gents some box office info. Furiosa sales are doing really well and at this rate it’s basically guaranteed to beat FR opening weekend of 45M. Very important week ahead with the Cannes Premiere on Wednesday and the embargo apparently lifting straight afterwards. If it is well received and the subsequent reviews follow suit then brace yourselves because it will be coming in hot at the BO.

58ea5bce71788d1ebac28fde64271425.gif

* Great news for the franchise because if this does indeed perform well then GM will more than likely finish his modern Mad Max trilogy of films.
This sadly hasnt aged well.....

But other than that, I really enjoyed the movie. Great prequel to Fury Road.

The biggest miss and its just a questionable one
when Furiosa escapes the wives/breeders den as a child....ITS NEVER MENTIONED. At all.

And considering how the film ends...honestly throughout the entire thing...they could've had Charlize star in the film instead of recasting. Though Anna did a great job.
Since we end right before the start of Fury Road...at least have Charlize and the OG wives cameo in that part

You could tell how much fun Hemsworth was having in this role. He really let loose though his nose for half of the film always looked lighter than the rest of his face which hit home the fakeness of it.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Primal Slayer about Charlize Theron. Charlize Theron is 48 years old yes. But she's incredibly fit at 48. Guess what else? Nathan Jones is 54 years old. And yet he's supposed to be playing a younger Rictus Erectus. A bunch of other actors are back for this sequel playing younger versions of characters they appeared as in Fury Road.

I get the reasoning for recasting Furiosa, but I still don't buy that Theron could not have come back. I see no reason they had to use heavy digital effects to make Theron look younger. Just use makeup and camera techniques. It's not unheard of. Plenty of actors play roles meant to be younger these days. It's hardly earth-shattering. IMHO it's industry age-ism.

IMHO it is a good movie and I think it's Chris Hemsworth's best performance to date.

But here's what people are forgetting. Fury Road wasn't that big of a hit. The movie only made a little lover $150 million domestically and less than $400 million worldwide. Even in 2015 that wasn't all that big.

I like Anya Taylor-Joy. Talented performer, very good actress. However, she didn't own this role IMO. Charlize Theron was the main attraction for me in Fury Road. And I never felt like she totally owned this role like Charlize Theron did.

Also, Fury Road is a relatively lean, fast-paced aggressive 2-hour trek. Furiosa is a longer, more deliberately paced movie. Now I have no problem with that, but that could've been another barrier against it. Movie length isn't always a barrier for movies like this. But that might have been an issue. You aren't getting that same type of wow factor with Fury Road.

Here's my other issue. They waited too long to make this movie. Fury Road came out 9 years ago. Franchise momentum is important, and this movie lost all of it.

I think Alien: Covenant suffered similarly. Any intrigue or momentum they could've built off of Prometheus was lost with Covenant. And then with Covenant, they clearly pivoted from what they were doing and building with Prometheus, so it's very frustrating. I think Star Trek Into Darkness squandered all the momentum Star Trek finally had with the 09 Star Trek. They waited too long to get it done. And then it turned out to be this half-baked rehash of Wrath of Khan.

Also, the TV spots for this movie were terrible with these really bad 80s song covers. Feels totally wrong for the tone of Mad Max.

I agree 100% with Primal Slayer about Charlize Theron. Charlize Theron is 48 years old yes. But she's incredibly fit at 48. Guess what else? Nathan Jones is 54 years old. And yet he's supposed to be playing a younger Rictus Erectus. A bunch of other actors are back for this sequel playing younger versions of characters they appeared as in Fury Road.

I get the reasoning for recasting Furiosa, but I still don't buy that Theron could not have come back. I see no reason they had to use heavy digital effects to make Theron look younger. Just use makeup and camera techniques. It's not unheard of. Plenty of actors play roles meant to be younger these days. It's hardly earth-shattering. IMHO it's industry age-ism.

IMHO it is a good movie and I think it's Chris Hemsworth's best performance to date.

But here's what people are forgetting. Fury Road wasn't that big of a hit. The movie only made a little lover $150 million domestically and less than $400 million worldwide. Even in 2015 that wasn't all that big.

I like Anya Taylor-Joy. Talented performer, very good actress. However, she didn't own this role IMO. Charlize Theron was the main attraction for me in Fury Road. And I never felt like she totally owned this role like Charlize Theron did.

Also, Fury Road is a relatively lean, fast-paced aggressive 2-hour trek. Furiosa is a longer, more deliberately paced movie. Now I have no problem with that, but that could've been another barrier against it. Movie length isn't always a barrier for movies like this. But that might have been an issue. You aren't getting that same type of wow factor with Fury Road.

Here's my other issue. They waited too long to make this movie. Fury Road came out 9 years ago. Franchise momentum is important, and this movie lost all of it.

I think Alien: Covenant suffered similarly. Any intrigue or momentum they could've built off of Prometheus was lost with Covenant. And then with Covenant, they clearly pivoted from what they were doing and building with Prometheus, so it's very frustrating. I think Star Trek Into Darkness squandered all the momentum Star Trek finally had with the 09 Star Trek. They waited too long to get it done. And then it turned out to be this half-baked rehash of Wrath of Khan.
Nathan Jones, who hasn't looked different since he was in the WWE 21 years ago, isn't a really good comparison. He's a big, bald, muscular person playing someone meant to be a full grown adult. There are not a lot of options out there for someone similar. Which is why the same giants show up across different projects. Also, he's like 10th on the list of important characters here.

With Furiosa the point was to show her at three completely different points in her life. As a small child, as a very young adult, and then as a fully grown person. Each actor has a significant age gap from the other, and that's the point. Because Furiosa/Fury Road are the character's odyssey, and it emphasizes the length and breadth of her journey to get back to the Green Place.

I am more than okay with them casting a different actor for a younger version of the character than this new age trend of just CG deaging characters. Frankly, I think more films should begin doing this again. Nothing takes me out of a thing more than crap like CG Luke or Leia in modern Star Wars. Multiple actors can play the same role. It's fine. As for Nathan Jones, as noted by others, more basic look about him, has a role that requires less acting ability, and he is a much less important character. So I don't see them as being the same.

OK but is it even necessary to use CG de-aging for Charlize Theron? I realize she's 48 but she looks great. She's aging very gracefully.

Also, frankly, it's not like Furiosa's role requires a lot of Anya Taylor-Joy either. She's mostly acting stoic throughout the movie. Most of the more emotional trauma and performance work falls on the younger Furiosa Alyla Browne.

I think Anya Taylor-Joy is fine in the role, but it never truly feels like she owns the role to me. And when I watched Fury Road, I was captivated by Charlize Theron as Furiosa. She made the movie to me. The only person who came close to that in this movie was Hemsworth really.

This sadly hasnt aged well.....

But other than that, I really enjoyed the movie. Great prequel to Fury Road.

The biggest miss and its just a questionable one
when Furiosa escapes the wives/breeders den as a child....ITS NEVER MENTIONED. At all.

And considering how the film ends...honestly throughout the entire thing...they could've had Charlize star in the film instead of recasting. Though Anna did a great job.
Since we end right before the start of Fury Road...at least have Charlize and the OG wives cameo in that part

You could tell how much fun Hemsworth was having in this role. He really let loose though his nose for half of the film always looked lighter than the rest of his face which hit home the fakeness of it.
The truth of the matter was that the sales where indeed petty good at that point, according to BOT trackers and news outlets, but while the early reviews from Cannes where good early on, the more reactions came out the more apparent it was that the movie had glaring flaws.

Towards the end of its pre sales run enough lukewarm reactions had filtered through to the point it started to dissipate the film’s early BO momentum.

I saw it noon on a Saturday so not peak time but it was literally me and 3 other people. Doesn’t bode well at all

@TheVileOne is spot on about one key thing, they waited too long for this movie, they lost any momentum that Fury Road might've given them. And Heck, they could have used Theron if they had done the sequel back then, too. dont get me wrong ATJ, crushed it and I'm very happy with what they gave us but yeah it might have been too little too late.

But I have to admit, and this may just be my own bias, I thought that the trailers on their own sold the movie and I thought would appeal to audiences. So, I naively thought that general audiences might just look at this as a cool looking post-apocalypstic movie thats similar looking to Dune.

I do think the long gap between movies is a contributing factor to the underwhelming opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"