• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

OK but is it even necessary to use CG de-aging for Charlize Theron? I realize she's 48 but she looks great. She's aging very gracefully.

Also, frankly, it's not like Furiosa's role requires a lot of Anya Taylor-Joy either. She's mostly acting stoic throughout the movie. Most of the more emotional trauma and performance work falls on the younger Furiosa Alyla Browne.

I think Anya Taylor-Joy is fine in the role, but it never truly feels like she owns the role to me. And when I watched Fury Road, I was captivated by Charlize Theron as Furiosa. She made the movie to me. The only person who came close to that in this movie was Hemsworth really.
She looks amazing. But she doesn't look 20.

I am more than okay with them casting a different actor for a younger version of the character than this new age trend of just CG deaging characters. Frankly, I think more films should begin doing this again. Nothing takes me out of a thing more than crap like CG Luke or Leia in modern Star Wars. Multiple actors can play the same role. It's fine. As for Nathan Jones, as noted by others, more basic look about him, has a role that requires less acting ability, and he is a much less important character. So I don't see them as being the same.

The child version of Furiosa has a CGI deepfake mask on her face that makes her look more like ATJ (the exact same technology they use on modern Star Wars). It's on her for her entire screentime, and it increases in volume throughout the movie. If they can do all that, I don't see how some slight deaging and makeup on Charlize Theron would be so outlandish.

I still think they should've gone with three actresses. Child, teen-young adult, adult. Just like Moonlight. A lot of people would've been excited to see Charlize back for the final portion of the film.

Last edited:
I do think the long gap between movies is a contributing factor to the underwhelming opening.
That plus coming out in a time where even Marvel movies struggle at the box office because in regards to movie theaters, Covid and studios broke something that can't be fixed.

0c4d981a792258be95663c3163414e3f.jpg
vs. 2023
GettyImages-1470252414.jpg

De-aging totally could've worked fine imo.

But either way....I still think
they should've brought her back for the last scene since it's supposed to be right before Fury Road and its as if no time had even passed between her revenge and fury road

I'm just glad that the film was good and yes it'll suck that it may flop since at least WB is putting out quality films now but it doesnt hurt the franchise so there's that.

I rewatched Fury Road after I got home and they tie together almost flawlessly with some loose ends from Furisoa.

The child version of Furiosa has a CGI deepfake mask on her face that makes her look more like ATJ (the exact same technology they use on modern Star Wars). It's on her for her entire screentime, and it increases in volume throughout the movie. If they can do all that, I don't see how some slight deaging and makeup on Charlize Theron would be so outlandish.

I still think they should've gone with three actresses. Child, teen-young adult, adult. Just like Moonlight. A lot of people would've been excited to see Charlize back for the final portion of the film.
I dont think they needed to do that, either. We have had people playing younger and older versions of characters all throughout film history. There is no reason to just use deep fake tech for something like that. I also don't think Theron being in it would have contributed that much BO wise. Whatever gains you make BO wise would be lost on cost for CG cause budget is either increasing or you have to sacrifice budget on other aspects of the project

While Furiosa has 9 years of ticket inflation helping it, Max and 1-month VoD release windows detract from what movies could have made if those did not exist.

P.S. it’s a good movie to see in a theater.

My review

Loved it but it's no Fury Road obviously. All the scenes with Alyla Browne and Charlee Fraser were really great and I loved the final act with ATJ.

These are some horrific domestic box office numbers, especially when you realise films like Morbius and Dark Phoenix had higher opening weekends than this ($39 and $32 million, respectively) while being much worse films.

It hurts me great films like Furiosa probably won't make even $200 million worldwide, while trash like GxK is currently nearing $600 million.

I dont think they needed to do that, either. We have had people playing younger and older versions of characters all throughout film history. There is no reason to just use deep fake tech for something like that. I also don't think Theron being in it would have contributed that much BO wise. Whatever gains you make BO wise would be lost on cost for CG cause budget is either increasing or you have to sacrifice budget on other aspects of the project
Im trying to think of any big female lead movies that have allowed older females to portray younger versions of themselves...

I can think of plenty of male-lead films.

Yikes. And you can’t really argue there was competition. Garfield was a different demographic. Fall Guy is already on VOD. Apes has been out a couple of weeks.

I think high ticket prices, nice weather for a holiday weekend, and limited star power didn’t help.

ATJ isn’t a name draw. She was great in Queen’s Gambit but she hasn’t really headlined her own movie. Hemsworth can’t catch a break unless it’s Thor and he’s pretty unrecognizable in this.

I think if they had gotten Charlize back, it would have done much better.

Im trying to think of any big female lead movies that have allowed older females to portray younger versions of themselves...

I can think of plenty of male-lead films.
I am against it largely for male led movies also, lol! Like, I hated Solo, but Harrison Ford not being Han isn't why I didn't like it. I think that's the best way to go creatively. I don't need Robert DeNiro pretending as a 70-80 year old man like he is a 30 year old. Just get a younger guy.

I am against it largely for male led movies also, lol! Like, I hated Solo, but Harrison Ford not being Han isn't why I didn't like it. I think that's the best way to go creatively. I don't need Robert DeNiro pretending as a 70-80 year old man like he is a 30 year old. Just get a younger guy.
Which is fine, just interesting (and not at all surprising) how Hollywood hasnt really applied the same standard to female lead roles that often, if at all.

Wow 25mil opening?! What the Heck? I was never under any illusion that this would be some massive blockbuster but opening this low? That is crushing.

I really thought the marketing did a solid job selling this but i guess people just didnt care.

The CGI sheen was one of my biggest complaints and it basically doomed the film for me. When watching the trailers I was willing to give it a pass because I thought that in the teaser it was just a long ways off from the release date and the second trailer had looked infinitely better. My hopes where also that those dodgy shots where part of bigger sequences and providing everything else looked fine I was willing to give it a pass. Truth of the matter was that large chunks of the film are just that and it was a big turn off because I couldn’t take stuff seriously.

A lot of the TV Spots looked good and so on(those like the trailers are always done to look good) but there was a bit of nagging feeling because of those lackluster effects in parts. Then there were in particular like 3 TV Spots/sneek peaks that started to leave a really sour taste in my mouth. One was the Dementus and Furiosa confrontation in the sand which I thought looked off, the other was the monster truck chasing the Cranky Black which looked so CGI and the last one was the one where Dementus and his crew where approaching Gas Town, some of the background and green screen where simply not up to par and even WB removed that clip a few hours afterwards.

Even though I went in wanting to like/love it, I just couldn’t get over so much of the CGI looking like scenes from a video game.

This sucks. Sad to see it end up like this. There were some good/great performances and the film has a lot of inventive and unique scenes/shots… plus I love that damn world. Unfortunately if this doesn’t pick the slack moving forward with some sort of decent word of mouth we likely won’t see another George Miller Mad Max directed film.

a93438eadd4cdb95ced33dc7c8a6d99c.gif

Which is fine, just interesting (and not at all surprising) how Hollywood hasnt really applied the same standard to female lead roles that often, if at all.
There is certainly agism in Hollywood at play there. Absolutely agree on that. I am just saying my opinion isn't coming from that place as I am equal opportunity against it lol

Median total domestic box office of the Top 20 releases:
2024: (5 months in): $56.5M
2023: (5 months in): $80.3M (full year $182.5M)

The releases in the latter half of years raise the median as they perform better at the box office. That said this year is down so far.

Oh man I can't believe how bad it's doing. I thought international it might do better or the WoM would maybe pick up at the weekend.

There's nothing major out next weekend so we can only hope it picks up a bit there.

I thought Anya owned the role brilliantly. I love Charlize, but the recast was 100% the right call here, imo. In no way would she have been remotely convincing as a 20-something Furiosa.
I beg to differ!

0c4d981a792258be95663c3163414e3f.jpg
vs. 2023
GettyImages-1470252414.jpg

De-aging totally could've worked fine imo.

But either way....I still think
they should've brought her back for the last scene since it's supposed to be right before Fury Road and its as if no time had even passed between her revenge and fury road

I'm just glad that the film was good and yes it'll suck that it may flop since at least WB is putting out quality films now but it doesnt hurt the franchise so there's that.

I rewatched Fury Road after I got home and they tie together almost flawlessly with some loose ends from Furisoa.

I think it could've worked. Just use movie magic and not heavy CG de-aging tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"