• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

This is why you don't cast Hemsworth if he's not going to play Thor! Thor Curse strikes again. :waa:

George Miller made the right call with not using cgi Charlize. He mentions the tech isn’t quite right yet, talking about the Irishman and gemini. Will Smith still looks pretty damn young for his actual age, but it was bloody distracting in that movie.

George Miller made the right call with not using cgi Charlize. He mentions the tech isn’t quite right yet, talking about the Irishman and gemini. Will Smith still looks pretty damn young for his actual age, but it was bloody distracting in that movie.

OK instead of CGI de-aging why not just use like makeup and camera techniques? Surely movies before the advent of CGI have tried to make older actors look younger and vice versa?

That doesn't matter

I mean yes it does. Look what it does to the people of the Wasteland. City miles and all that.

I'm not asking for heavy de-aging tech, but I see no reason they couldn't have worked around it.

Just FYI, a near 60-year-old Viggo Mortensen portrayed a person about 30 years his junior in Green Book. Won Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor. Mortensen was nominated for an Oscar. Literally no one, NO ONE, gave a **** that Mortensen was a f'n 60 year old man playing a guy in his early 30s. Tony Lip is about 31-32 in the movie.

This is HOLLYWOOD AGE-ISM plain and simple.

I mean yes it does. Look what it does to the people of the Wasteland. City miles and all that.

I'm not asking for heavy de-aging tech, but I see no reason they couldn't have worked around it.

Just FYI, a near 60-year-old Viggo Mortensen portrayed a person about 30 years his junior in Green Book. Won Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor. Mortensen was nominated for an Oscar. Literally no one, NO ONE, gave a **** that Mortensen was a f'n 60 year old man playing a guy in his early 30s. Tony Lip is about 31-32 in the movie.

This is HOLLYWOOD AGE-ISM plain and simple.
Green Book isn't a franchise movie where we saw the character in question in the then present. I don't even remember his character's age being mentioned in the movie. When you are doing a prequel to a character we have seen that takes place years before, these things matter more than a movie made with no frame of reference. Is there agism in Hollywood? Absolutely. Am I mad they opted to not have Charlize play a younger version of her character nearly 10 years after she played it last time? No I am not. Male or female, I am all for this. I wouldn't have wanted CG deaged Marlon Brando in Godfather Part II if it had been made today either.

Of all the filmmakers and flicks out there in which agism is a real thing, but to bring it up about George Miller is laughable. Sometimes the simple answer is simply that easy, the tech isn’t quite right yet and no amount of makeup would’ve worked. And we could go on another direction if we want to be extreme with said gossip. What if Miller simply didn’t want to work with Theron again? Tis’ his bloody right on his 45 year old franchise. Like, is anyone in here going to be surprised if Hardy gets recast on the next one? BO tells me we wont get another unfortunately, but you know what I mean.

OK instead of CGI de-aging why not just use like makeup and camera techniques? Surely movies before the advent of CGI have tried to make older actors look younger and vice versa?
You told me once that you wore a toupee, and I was supportive. But don’t get it twisted, we can tell it ain’t real. :nosee:

You told me once that you wore a toupee, and I was supportive. But don’t get it twisted, we can tell it ain’t real. :nosee:

Have you seen Green Book? Did it bother you Viggo Mortensen was portraying someone 30 years younger? Was it a disgrace it got so many awards?

@TheVileOne is spot on about one key thing, they waited too long for this movie, they lost any momentum that Fury Road might've given them. And Heck, they could have used Theron if they had done the sequel back then, too. dont get me wrong ATJ, crushed it and I'm very happy with what they gave us but yeah it might have been too little too late.

But I have to admit, and this may just be my own bias, I thought that the trailers on their own sold the movie and I thought would appeal to audiences. So, I naively thought that general audiences might just look at this as a cool looking post-apocalypstic movie thats similar looking to Dune.
I mean outside of being set in a mostly desert setting, this shares next to nothing with Dune. Especially in ways that would appeal to audiences. Aesthetically alone, Dune's world is far more digestible to the average audience member with the sterile/sleek science fiction designs vs the weird heavy metal/punk rocker wasteland.

Have you seen Green Book? Did it bother you Viggo Mortensen was portraying someone 30 years younger? Was it a disgrace it got so many awards?
Again, it's not the same. Watching the movie, you wouldn't know the character's age. You would have to know the real person's age independent of the movie itself. It's a bad comparison. Green Book also isn't based on a franchise with existing media. This would be applicable if you're saying they didn't hire Actress X cause Role Y was for someone 20 years younger in real life but age in the script didn't actually matter within the story.

Would you hire Michael B Jordan for a Creed prequel today in a movie about Adonis in college?

I hated Green Book…So yes. It was a disgrace it got so many awards. Mortensen age was never brought up in said flick, so it wasn’t an issue. Ryan Gosling still looks great, can he pull off a 20 year something character today? No.

Villaneuve's Dune wasnt exactly Star Wars either in terms palatability for the general audiences. The first Dune especially was very stoic and exposition heavy and there was plenty of weird eccentricities that could have easily put off your average viewer. But I think like a lot of you have said, Dune had heavy star power that drew in Gen Z and a "YOU NEED TO SEE THIS IN IMAX" marketing campaign that I think worked very well in its favor.

Villaneuve's Dune wasnt exactly Star Wars either in terms palatability for the general audiences. The first Dune especially was very stoic and exposition heavy and there was plenty of weird eccentricities that could have easily put off your average viewer. But I think like a lot of you have said, Dune had heavy star power that drew in Gen Z and a "YOU NEED TO SEE THIS IN IMAX" marketing campaign that I think worked very well in its favor.

There wasn’t a 9 or so year gap in between flicks as well. WB is also to blame on this, they didn’t jump on board post FR. It also doesn’t help that they were in a legal issue vs Miller for some of the profit and that took around 3-4 years to ‘’fix’’. Eh.

That is lower than I expected. But not surprising. Not a direct sequel to a movie that came out in 2015... though I'm surprised with the budget, as it doesn't look better (in terms of production) than the first film.

But still yikes at this month's box office opening weekend numbers. Only Planet of the Apes earned over $50 million during its opening weekend.

Again, it's not the same. Watching the movie, you wouldn't know the character's age. You would have to know the real person's age independent of the movie itself. It's a bad comparison. Green Book also isn't based on a franchise with existing media. This would be applicable if you're saying they didn't hire Actress X cause Role Y was for someone 20 years younger in real life but age in the script didn't actually matter within the story.

Would you hire Michael B Jordan for a Creed prequel today in a movie about Adonis in college?

I knew it watching Green Book, and he clearly didn't look like he was in his 30s.

It's not a bad comparison at all. It's simply ageism.

I knew it watching Green Book, and he clearly didn't look like he was in his 30s.

It's not a bad comparison at all. It's simply ageism.
Most people watching Green Book don't know the actual person's age. I certainly didn't until this very conversation. You're projecting your own knowledge to fuel a personal bias.

You also didn't address my other question about Michael B Jordan in a Creed prequel now. That tells me all I need to know

n-LZGKdKsKe02WVtkyQ3ohOZA04wjW5k0m07LkYAzrY.png

Sometimes tis’ alright to be wrong, chief. To die on the green book hill is bloody funny and ridiculous, but this is the wasteland of dying forums on the internet. I’m no longer surprised.

Someone please @ me when that office painting becomes available in any form for purchase. I needs it on my bathroom wall.

Most people watching Green Book don't know the actual person's age. I certainly didn't until this very conversation. You're projecting your own knowledge to fuel a personal bias.

You also didn't address my other question about Michael B Jordan in a Creed prequel now. That tells me all I need to know

Michael B. Jordan to show Creed in college? Yes. He's only 37. Not 50. Older actors have done this before.

Michael B. Jordan to show Creed in college? Yes. He's only 37. Not 50. Older actors have done this before.
I wouldn't hire Michael B Jordan for that movie, so agree to disagree. It's okay to just have different people play the same character at different ages of life. Movies have done that since forever.

So this movie had a disappointing opening weekend too? Sheesh I don’t know what it’s going to take to get people back into theaters again.

But hey. Why go see Furiosa when you can stay home and watch high quality entertainment like Atlas. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"