• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

So this movie had a disappointing opening weekend too? Sheesh I don’t know what it’s going to take to get people back into theaters again.

But hey. Why go see Furiosa when you can stay home and watch high quality entertainment like Atlas. :o

It's tough these days. For a movie to draw an audience, it needs to have like this viral movement behind it like the whole Barbenheimer thing.

Kinda surprised at the opening but I also don’t remember Fury Road blazing the US box office. It wont help that the film will prolly be on digital next month.

Saw it on Thursday and loved it. Maybe some pacing issues at times but it was an absolute blast at the movies. Such a shame its current performance, I am surprised by it. I hope there's some legs to it, it is much deserved but also looks like people haven't been going to the theaters really this year for a few exceptions.

This flick also left me with

the itch to see an action flick about a mom trying to recover her kidnapped daughter.

One thing I thought of a lot when and after watching the film was how damn brutal it was. There where some pretty disturbing and nightmarish scenes that had me shook.

I mean we see some weird stuff in FR and it was easy to chalk it up to those being the rules of this post apocalyptic world but Furiosa really went behind the curtain and really showed how messed up and sick this world really is. It hits home why they’re mad, they have these crazy beliefs, they don’t show much affection… The Wasteland is no ****ing joke and it’s almost like nightmare fuel to ponder on how the harshness of the world affects everyone involved.

Some of the brutal/disturbing scenes I can remember…
- The dude that was bleeding to death in front of Dementus and everyone were only interested in him drawing the map.

- The crucification/disemboweling scene. I got Braveheart “vibes” with that which is also one of the saddest scenes for me ever.

- Bikes limb detachment torture.

- The crushing of the Gas Town dude’s head.

- Riktus sick habit.

- That drag scene plus the dogs feeding frenzy.

- The butcher/cannibal witch/lady.

- Those haunting shots from the 40 day war.

- The maggots eating the corpse under the tree.

In parts it was almost like a Saw film or straight up horror film. Talk about nightmare fuel.

Maybe its because I grew up in a household where I was watching Evil Dead 2 as a 9 year old but a lot of that stuff doesn't even stand out to me in most movies. Sure in movies like Saw or Hostel its slightly different because the traps or torture rooms are just excuses to go "look at me cut this achilles tendon off" or "look at me stick a needle in an eye". But with something like Mad Max where it's just a brutal world and these ways of killing others feel like something you would expect from these movies, I don't even really think about it that way. Then again I guess if you compare it with most other blockbuster films they are super tame by comparison.

Kinda surprised at the opening but I also don’t remember Fury Road blazing the US box office. It wont help that the film will prolly be on digital next month.
It started out slow for Fury Road if i remember correctly...but that was still a different time.

The fact that so many movies come out so fast digital, is one of the major problems the industry faces.
Studios forgot to make going to the movies an experience and a way for a movie to build an audience.
Many dont got anymore because they know, if they wait 3-4 weeks...they can watch it at home.

It started out slow for Fury Road if i remember correctly...but that was still a different time.

The fact that so many movies come out so fast digital, is one of the major problems the industry faces.
Studios forgot to make going to the movies an experience and a way for a movie to build an audience.
Many dont got anymore because they know, if they wait 3-4 weeks...they can watch it at home.

The thing is do studios even make that much off of digital sales?

Surely there are more profits in the BO? Some of the March releases are still making money due to good holds. They might have made a little bit more without these early digital releases.

Maybe the split is better (more favorable) for the studios selling through online retailers than splitting the box office with the various theater chains around the world.

Probably the wrong thread or whatever. Wicked trailer played before this and it was absolutely awful. I had to look away a lot. I’m not the desired demo for that, but sweet baby Jesus.
I love Wicked. My favorite musical. I can't get past the flat look and Grande casting, even as the rest of the cast seems pretty perfect.

So this movie had a disappointing opening weekend too? Sheesh I don’t know what it’s going to take to get people back into theaters again.

But hey. Why go see Furiosa when you can stay home and watch high quality entertainment like Atlas. :o

Lower ticket prices may help a bit. And theaters kind of need to get with the times as well....it's all about making it a social media experience so a good photo op may draw in the younger crowd

Surely there are more profits in the BO? Some of the March releases are still making money due to good holds. They might have made a little bit more without these early digital releases.

I remember an article where they had a study that people were more excited for a streaming release once the film has been released theatrically first.

So even if Fall Guy lasted only 3 weeks in theatres, people are more prone to check it out on digital and streaming than if it had just dropped on streaming right away as there is a stigma around streaming only releases (ala Direct to video stink).

So even if the film doesn’t do very well theatrically, it was worth it for all the ancillary markets down the line, and you don’t have to market it much again. It has a much longer life now than most straight to streaming fare.

I remember an article where they had a study that people were more excited for a streaming release once the film has been released theatrically first.

So even if Fall Guy lasted only 3 weeks in theatres, people are more prone to check it out on digital and streaming than if it had just dropped on streaming right away as there is a stigma around streaming only releases (ala Direct to video stink).

So even if the film doesn’t do very well theatrically, it was worth it for all the ancillary markets down the line, and you don’t have to market it much again. It has a much longer life now than most straight to streaming fare.

And I get that in some ways. But movies that flop at the BO don’t then end up getting a sequel through streaming successes either. So surely the BO is still where the money is at?

And I get that in some ways. But movies that flop at the BO don’t then end up getting a sequel through streaming successes either. So surely the BO is still where the money is at?

100% for sure. We’re not suddenly going to get The Fall Guy 2 even with big numbers on VOD.

But I think it’s not as dire of a situation as some would lead you to believe based on those ancillary markets for some titles.

Maybe the split is better (more favorable) for the studios selling through online retailers than splitting the box office with the various theater chains around the world.

Studios have long chased after a shorter window (long before Covid), but that’s due to most movies making most of their money in the opening couple of weeks. This is all to say this notion was around long before studios had their own streaming services (only fairly recently) and perhaps even before Netflix took off.

There were many articles on this at the start of Covid indicating studios pushed for shorter windows for a long time and Covid just gave them the negotiating power that they needed over theaters in order to do it.

I also don’t think they were fully prepared for the notion that they would indirectly be teaching audiences to stay at home and wait. I think they probably thought it would be more akin to how windows tightened before (ex. Movies used to stay in theaters for close to a year or sometimes more) Knowing suits, I think it was more wanting their cake and eating it too.

For a side note - studios are switching to digital over physical because they do make more money in those means (no longer have to make, package, ship, etc.).

I really hope Furiosa can perform decently at the box office. I like the cast and director involved and it would be nice to see them not only get an acclaimed film under their belts but also a profitable one.

I always wanted this to succeed, I loved FR, I didn’t mind ATJ taking the role of Furiosa at all, I was really looking forward to seeing CH as Dementus and just wanted to revisit that world and meet those characters once again. I didn’t necessarily want another Fury Road either and I adjusted my expectations with the visuals from the trailers… Unfortunately in the end it just didn’t work for me and it sucks that that was the case.

A few more observations about the film and my experience watching it.

- CH Dementus was really good as was the Young Furiosa. ATJ and Tom Burke where also good.
- The action was inventive and interesting as only GM can provide.
- Some really cool visuals… Some beautiful, others quirky and others haunting.
- A bit more of Gas Town and The Bullet Farm.
- The actor that played Immortan Joe was really good.
- I liked the History Man as well.
- CH’s wife was also pretty good too.
- I like seeing a better glimpse at the green place.

My biggest gripe with the film ended up being the visuals even though I didn’t mind that much the stuff we saw in the trailers and even adjusted my expectations going into it as well. The problem was that they used way too much CGI in basically everything and I just couldn’t get into it in many instances.

The movie became a video game. The action was cool in places but the amount of green screen/backgrounds, overuse of CGI was just too damn much… It was cartoony and very distracting. So many examples to choose from.

The pacing or structure of the film was a mess as well. The jumps in time were not well executed imo. The chapters were uneven… it could’ve been done so much better.

The movie was also really chocking and brutal in parts. It was dark and really weird in some instances. A bit too much for my taste.

It looked to me like they had reshot parts of the final confrontation. Also seemed to me like they used CGI to recreate the Bullet Farmer’s face since the actor passed away.

That last scene it looks like they CGI’ed Charlize Theron’s face into Furiosa when she took the wives or they reused other footage. And showing images from Fury Road as the credits role? Seriously? C’mon man…

Now comparing Furiosa with Fury Road is just unfathomable for me. Comparing it favorably to FR is downright inexcusable imo.

We had the same exact take on it. I too wanted to like it and was even in the process of trying to speak others into seeing it, before I did and was unfortunately disappointed.

I think this is maybe in part why Furiosa isn’t performing as some thought it would.

A week before, while in line, I heard random general audience members commenting that they had no interest in seeing it due to too much reliance on CGI.

While other films get away with that, I think part of the reason it stood out here was part of the mystique surrounding Fury Road is that they did it largely practically. That just leads to a very noticeable contrast that audiences picked up on.

I’ve recently noticed over social media an increase in people wanting practical over CGI for a while now. I think for Furiosa that just came to the forefront due to Fury Road being one of the “latest” epitomes in practical effects.

Might be wrong, might not be. All I know is warning signs popped up in terms of performance when I started hearing CGI complaints while waiting in line the week before. I knew that talk was online, just didn’t expect to hear it when out and about since (from my experiences) the G.A rarely talks about technical aspects like that and give it that much prominence.

Last edited:
We had the same exact take on it. I too wanted to like it and was even in the process of trying to speak others into seeing it, before I did and was unfortunately disappointed.

I think this is maybe on part why Furiosa isn’t performing as some thought it would.

A week before, while in line, I heard random general audience members commenting that they had no interest in seeing it due to too much reliance on CGI.

While other films get away with that, I think part of the reason it stood out here was part of the mystique surrounding Fury Road is that they did it largely practically. That just leads to a very noticeable contrast that audiences picked up on.

I’ve recently noticed over social media an increase in people wanting practical over CGI for a while now. I think for Furiosa that just came to the forefront due to Fury Road being one of the “latest” epitomes in practical effects.

Might be wrong, might not be. All I know is warning signs popped up in terms of performance when I started hearing CGI complaints while waiting in line the week before.
Nearly every single frame of Fury Road is manipulated in post, and involves CGI and green screen.

Nearly every single frame of Fury Road is manipulated in post, and involves CGI and green screen.

Fury Road did use CGI as well. As does almost every film.

But, would you honestly say it was on equal terms as noticeable as in Furiosa?

Even when the trailer hit, people online (social media, YouTube) were commenting about CGI to an almost “that’s not my Sonic” levels. Pages back, many people on here did as well. I don’t recall that being the case leading into Fury Road, rather on set videos being shared and focused on. The reception beforehand was just overall different.

As with everything else there’s levels to it.

I’m not saying it’s the only or main reason for its performance, rather probably one of them - whether that’s fair or not.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it, I do think it is one I would enjoy more at home as I maybe able to notice more. I was surprised with how much time they had with her as a kid.

The reason why you and everyone else noticed the green screen and CGI in Furioisa is that they changed cameras and lenses (they went from Panavision to RED), used a different cinematographer, and the post-production work is much cheaper and quicker now than it was 10 years ago.

If the same process was done with Fury Road, everyone would notice all the CG and greenscreen shots more.

Fury Road did use CGI as well. As does almost every film.

But, would you honestly say it was on equal terms as noticeable as in Furiosa?

Even when the trailer hit, people online were commenting about CGI to an almost “that’s not my Sonic” levels. I don’t recall that being the case at all leading into Fury Road.

As with everything else there’s levels to it.
Fury Road didn't just "use CGI". It's full of it. All the big effects shots people like to talk about, have it. And plenty of it is noticeable in 2024.

The most "overt" effect shots in Furiosa are those intended to be by artistic choice. Furiosa is not the same film as Fury Road.

So am I aware of people acting like authorities on the internet, and not understanding what they're talking about? Yes. But it does not make it so. And with Furiosa, the movie looks fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"