Mad Max: Furiosa Spinoff

Speaking for myself, I’d happily watch a Furiosa movie if it’s directed by Miller. The casting sounds alright for it too.

But as an Aussie.... Mad Max is a cultural icon. My first choice is always going to be what crazy, chaotic situation that Max has walked in on and it’d be pretty **** if Miller’s ditched the character.

A Furiosa movie is like if they made a spin off about Tina Turner of Bartertown. These are interesting people with interesting worlds, but they functioned to hinge Max's story on. And going away from Max kind of betrays that point.

I get in a sense these were influenced by westerns and samurai films, where the stranger falls into a place with a specific problem and gets involved. Making a spin off about the people there misses the point and is a step back. They weren't about the place. The place and people are over with when the hero rides out. No matter how popular they got in Furiosa's case. Would it have been cool to see a Lee Van Cleef Angel Eyes spin off with Leone directing? Maybe, it might sound really cool like Furiosa, but it misses the point.

It being a prequel doesn't really help. This is Miller and I'm sure he could make something interesting out of it, outside of that point, it just seems creatively limiting. He could do anything and chooses a spin off?

Unless Miller does something totally different with it where he can get experimental and create something of a wholly unique identity and Furioisa is a jumping off point. Otherwise I have zero interest in seeing a prequel story involving Imogen Joe or the concubines. Been there done that. I'd rather see a wholly different Miller film like the one we're getting or another Max film that expands the world.

Last edited:
A Furiosa movie is like if they made a spin off about Tina Turner of Bartertown. These are interesting people with interesting worlds, but they functioned to hinge Max's story on. And going away from Max kind of betrays that point.

I get in a sense these were influenced by westerns and samurai films, where the stranger falls into a place with a specific problem and gets involved. Making a spin off about the people there misses the point and is a step back. They weren't about the place. The place and people are over with when the hero rides out. No matter how popular they got in Furiosa's case. Would it have been cool to see a Lee Van Cleef Angel Eyes spin off with Leone directing? Maybe, it might sound really cool like Furiosa, but it misses the point.

It being a prequel doesn't really help. This is Miller and I'm sure he could make something interesting out of it, outside of that point, it just seems creatively limiting. He could do anything and chooses a spin off?

Unless Miller does something totally different with it where he can get experimental and create something of a wholly unique identity and Furioisa is a jumping off point. Otherwise I have zero interest in seeing a prequel story involving Imogen Joe or the concubines. Been there done that. I'd rather see a wholly different Miller film like the one we're getting or another Max film that expands the world.

My counter would be it is just as limiting, if not more so, to insist that Miller must stick to a formula that is itself somewhat influenced by Westerns and keep Max as the main character because of that. Instead he created an exciting new protagonist in Furiosa (who I would argue is as much if not more the main character of Fury Road than Max), and so finding new stories for her is following a more creative impulse than doing another Mad Max adventure because that's how it's always been done.

And to take it a step further, with regards to Sergio Leone's Dollar Trilogy, those were only ever quasi-related. Fans like to imagine The Man with No Name is the same guy in each film, but he has different names, different degrees of personality, and of course Lee Van Cleef played two very different guys. The reason we kept getting Clint Eastwood as Leone's lead is because Eastwood was a perfect match for that style (even if he personally didn't really care for it) and audiences loved seeing him as the no name desperado.

The Mad Max formula you describe really worked for Mel Gibson's Max. Gibson ain't Max anymore, and honestly Tom Hardy wasn't a great substitute. I've loved Hardy in plenty of roles but as Mad Max he was only "fine." Furiosa, on the other hand, was great and audiences responded to her. So moving in that direction makes sense as the Gibson Max is long gone... that said moving away from Theron as Furiosa could create the same problem which is why this is so strange but interesting.

Hey @Doctor Jones if you see this, pls shoot @C. Lee a PM.

I don't necessarily aggree with the formula argument. I think most Mad Max movies were different from one another and from what I've read I'm sure that not only the spin-off will be too but also the inevitable Mad Max sequel, if it does indeed come out at some point.
A change in characters honestly doesn't mean anything on its own in terms of freshen things up. It's the approach that matters. You can have a completely formulaic movie like Alien Covenant which is too similar to the original two films despite an entirely different cast, characters and setting and on the other hand you can have a Terminator 2.

ATJ is a good choice. It makes more sense compared to Jodie Comer (who I absolutely love) from an age perspective if that makes sense. I feel like if their plan is to cast someone else for a younger Furiosa, it needs someone who can pass as a teen.

ATJ is a good choice. It makes more sense compared to Jodie Comer (who I absolutely love) from an age perspective if that makes sense. I feel like if their plan is to cast someone else for a younger Furiosa, it needs someone who can pass as a teen.
The story will be about teen Furiosa?

The story will be about teen Furiosa?

No, I don’t know. What I just meant is that for Charlize’s recast to be justified (at least for me) it needs to be someone who looks significantly younger than her.

Well, Ana Taylor Joy is about 20 years younger than Charlize Theron.

Comer is 15 years younger. I don't see much difference. Both pass as significantly younger. But Comer's likeness is better.

Seems like we’re back in business.

Wow, crazy facts about FR. I like Renner a lot but don’t see him as Max.

“Why would you do a Mad Max movie and not bring back Mel Gibson? That’s freaking asinine.” - someone ten years ago, probably

So has Charlize Theron torpedoed her career and committed career suicide yet before doing all the mea culpas and getting allowed back into Hollywood and directing a war movie?

And honestly, Tom Hardy was a mediocre Max and the weakest aspect of the movie. To me there's no reason you couldn't have had Gibson in there again other than the fact he was in movie jail at the time.

So has Charlize Theron torpedoed her career and committed career suicide yet before doing all the mea culpas and getting allowed back into Hollywood and directing a war movie?

And honestly, Tom Hardy was a mediocre Max and the weakest aspect of the movie. To me there's no reason you couldn't have had Gibson in there again other than the fact he was in movie jail at the time.
I agree about Hardy as Max. He was the weak link. But the movie was still balls to the wall amazing.

I doubt when people theorized about a Mad Max movie they really cared about Mel's reputation. It was still hard to imagine a Mad Max movie without him regardless of his status. Fury Road proved otherwise. They just needed a better fitting actor for Max, who had better chemistry with Theron, if Mel was unavailable for whatever reason.
NY Times - Furiosa’s Back: George Miller Discusses the Next ‘Mad Max’ Movie
The ‘Fury Road’ director is currently casting a prequel, but Furiosa may look a little different this time around.
Good, good. This movie needs to happen.

And GM is totally right about de-aging technology.

Fury Road probably would have ended up with Mel Gibson's older Max passing the torch - in this case to Furiosa. Which is what they did anyway even with a younger Tom Hardy, and is Hardy's own reading on what his role was.

TOM HARDY: "Charlize [Theron] arguably laid down the finest lead character in an action movie, and that credit is much deserved, in my opinion; both to her as a phenomenal talent and also to George [Miller] for recognizing from the very start that it was time to pass Mel’s shoes onto Furiosa." (May 12, 2020)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"