Making Superman More Than a Superhero Movie

MadVillainy

C'mon Son
Reaction score
I noticed that DC usually has deeper purposes and second genres to alot of their characters

Batman....superhero gangster saga
Wonder Woman....superhero swords and sandals story
Green Lantern...superhero space epic
The Flash.....superhero adventure comedy
Aquaman.....superhero underwater King Arthur

How can a person make Superman be more than just a regular action superhero movie?

Superman kind of has a second genre as a journalist film and also a third genre of a romance tale. What would be needed to bring these things to the screen?

I'd prefer it be a patriotic adventure. That likely won't happen, because they'll want other countries to feel included under Superman's shadow. The stomping down of patriotism began with the darkening down of the colors of his suit in SR. It's sad. For the sake of misguided political correctness, they sacrifice any sense of national individualism.

Before GL came along, I would've said that Superman could be the star of a space epic, but that's obviously GL's territory now.

I almost like the idea of Superman being a romance/adventure combination, except I don't normally care for the love subplot of comic book movies. Still, Lois is a strong character in her own right.

Maybe Supes could be a mix of almost all those. Just add romance, mystery, space adventures, and comedy and you've got yourself a trilogy. :yay:

Lois and Clark are the 20th century Romeo and Juliet,
also they're the greatest comic book couple.

How would they add the adventure aspect?

^Superman could travel to the farthest ends of the earth to fight supervillains. Also, great CGI would give the audience the sensation of flight and fear as Superman takes on the bad guys in epic battles. Also, Lois and Supes's other friends need to be in danger at times, until he swoops in and saves them of course. :super:

i say keep it simple for the first movie. entertain people in the first movie. then when you have the fanbase you can make it more serious or complicated.

^ Disagreed. I think it's advisable to start off with a heavy-handed bang. That will set a precedence in the audience's minds for the new Superman film series.

Superman should be a patriotic adventure in what sense?

A Superman movie should inspire, not simply promote one county over another.

The idea of an Earthbound godlike/savior being is incredibly compelling, and should be explored.

Last edited:
^ Disagreed. I think it's advisable to start off with a heavy-handed bang. That will set a precedence in the audience's minds for the new Superman film series.
really?
TDK is nto happening every year. having a to complicated superman mvoie is a huge risk IMO.

No it's not. You're the only one talking about TDK. Having a slow-paced, introductory Superman film is a high risk. That's what we had with Superman Returns, and I don't have to tell you how that turned out. Fans have been drooling over the idea of Superman fighting a superpowered villain on the silver screen. The wait should be over. Everyone knows his origins, everyone is sick of Lex Luthor. The last thing the average person wants is yet another Superman film that beats around the bush.

After the first credits, I'd start off the film with Superman smack-dab in the middle of a fight with a lesser known villain. Something to get a death-grip on the audience's attention, that also foreshadows the fight that will come later. It should be something of a preview within the film itself.

And I know someone will come along and say that they want more than an explosive brawling film. I agree. I want an explosive brawling film that also has an engaging plot and cast of characters. It can be done. That is what I demand from this Superman reboot.

Superman should be a patriotic adventure in what sense?

The idea of an Earthbound godlike/savior being is incredibly compelling, and should be explored.

"Truth, justice, and the American way." I'd at least like to see his American symbolism restored. That means restoring the latter part of that classic phrase that was removed in SR, making his suit vibrant again, and ensuring that there are writers who understand the values the character represented. Sure, a lot of those values seem archaic by modern standards. They still exist in the mid-west to some degree, especially amongst the baby boomer-aged crowds and up. I should know. I live in Kansas. It would be highlighting what makes Superman a unique character, and would also be quite nostalgic.

Last edited:
Lois and Clark are the 20th century Romeo and Juliet,
also they're the greatest comic book couple.

How would they add the adventure aspect?

markstrange said:
Superman is a Drama

Great Scott!.......no!

Think back....what word is most frequently used in the title of a Superman production.........ADVENTURE.
That's what the character is about....The Adventures of Superman.

Superman Prime said:
"Truth, justice, and the American way." I'd at least like to see his American symbolism restored. That means restoring the latter part of that classic phrase that was removed in SR, making his suit vibrant again, and ensuring that there are writers who understand the values the character represented. Sure, a lot of those values seem archaic by modern standards. They still exist in the mid-west to some degree, especially amongst the baby boomer-aged crowds and up. I should know. I live in Kansas. It would be highlighting what makes Superman a unique character, and would also be quite nostalgic.

Amen.

The Gaurd said:

I don't see extolling the American Way as promoting a country; but rather an ideal. Obama's "Middle East" speech pretty much did the same thing.

Last edited:
"Truth, justice, and the American way."

Not to put any Americans down or spark a row, but the "American way" hasn't meant what it used to in recent times, I think that's why Singer omitted it from SR. Hopefully recent political changes can turn that around.

I understand Supes being a national icon and all and I respect that, but I'd rather he stood for what's honest and decent in mankind. I'd like to think it's not just Americans that are like that. :woot:

I'd prefer it be a patriotic adventure. That likely won't happen, because they'll want other countries to feel included under Superman's shadow. The stomping down of patriotism began with the darkening down of the colors of his suit in SR. It's sad. For the sake of misguided political correctness, they sacrifice any sense of national individualism.
I agree. S.R. was waaaay to PC. Being patriotic certainly didnt hurt Spider-Man much now did it.
You dont just ignore what made a character so popular to begin with.
The next one I hope embraces that.

I noticed that DC usually has deeper purposes and second genres to alot of their characters

Batman....superhero gangster saga
Wonder Woman....superhero swords and sandals story
Green Lantern...superhero space epic
The Flash.....superhero adventure comedy
Aquaman.....superhero underwater King Arthur

How can a person make Superman be more than just a regular action superhero movie?

Superman kind of has a second genre as a journalist film and also a third genre of a romance tale. What would be needed to bring these things to the screen?

Superman Returns turned Superman into Jesus.

That was their hook to making him different from the other heroes; elevating him to a god among men.

It didn't work.

But I think they should take that concept and tone it down a notch;

Make the world very realistic and Nolan-esque with Superman standing out as an unrealistic character in a realistic world.

What would our world be like if someone like Superman appeared?

How would everything change? Humans tend to fear change at first; it's built into our nature.

I think it's a good way to bring the character into the 21st century.

Last edited:
If you wanna make the next Superman movie deep, then all you have to do is establish a proper Lex Luthor. Singer dropped the ball big time going with the Hackman Esque Lex. You'd think it would be simple. Lex is the smartest man in the world. A man who built himself up from nothing to become probably the greatest representation of Human Achievement. Then along comes this Alien. This, God, who can move faster than bullets and leap tall buildings in a single bound, which leads him to ask, what good is human achievement in the face of other worldly might? So, he takes it upon himself to rid the world of this Alien. Cuz if Superman is there to catch them when they fall, then they will never be able to get themselves back up. You know, a Lex who has a point. A Lex you could almost sympathize with. That's how you do a proper Superman movie, by making sure that his greatest enemy isn't some real estate scamming, wig wearing, hooker with a heart of gold banging, idiot.

Superman Returns turned Superman into Jesus.

That was their hook to making him different from the other heroes; elevating him to a god among men.

It didn't work.

But I think they should take that concept and tone it down a notch;

Make the world very realistic and Nolan-esque with Superman standing out as an unrealistic character in a realistic world.

What would our world be like if someone like Superman appeared?

How would everything change?

I think it's a good way to bring the character into the 21st century.

See here is where Marvel gets it with their films.

The question is mute if Superman is just one of many superheroes that co-exist in a film universe. Superman as Jesus/Saviour is irrelevant.

You are aware that Marvel is building there own Film Universe....right?

The question is mute if Superman is just one of many superheroes that co-exist in a film universe. Superman as Jesus/Saviour is irrelevant.

That's why Superman is generally the first to appear.

And even if Superman debuts after Batman, Batman is just a crime fighting street vigilante; not a super-powered being of the likes that no human has witnessed before.

Anubis said:
which leads him to ask, what good is human achievement in the face of other worldly might? So, he takes it upon himself to rid the world of this Alien. Cuz if Superman is there to catch them when they fall, then they will never be able to get themselves back up. You know, a Lex who has a point. A Lex you could almost sympathize with.

Lex should never have anyone's interest but his own as motivation, and should never ever be a sympathetic character. Superman is everything right about the American Way; Lex is everything wrong!

Superman is everything right about the American Way; Lex is everything wrong!

QFT. Lex should epitomise corporate greed and an undying thirst for power. Supes should be the complete opposite; selfless, noble, decent and always looking out for the little man.

Lex should never have anyone's interest but his own as motivation, and should never ever be a sympathetic character. Superman is everything right about the American Way; Lex is everything wrong!

Never said you should ignore the fact that his true motivations are rather selfish. Metropolis was his city. He built it up to what it is today, and then along comes this Alien, and all of a sudden he's not important. The way he sees it, if he's not important anymore, then Humanity isn't important anymore. That's the beauty of Lex. He's deep and yet, shallow as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"