Marvel TV Series Marvel On Disney Streaming Service (aka Disney +)

By making Disney Streaming Service extremely family friendly, which would exclude tons of classic Fox IP that they'll get in the deal like Aliens and POTA, they're really undermining themselves and limit their potential. Why won't they offer the subscribing customers a choice between limited or full access of the Disney & Fox library? I bet that would be almost good enough to narrow the gap between Disney and Netflix.

I could see them offering different versions of their streaming service before limiting their library. Why would they limit themselves?

Disney will own the majority stake in Hulu after the Fox acquisition goes through. Bob Iger has said that Hulu will be the streaming platform for Disney's more adult films and TV shows. He seems to have a strategy in mind for all of Disney's content, though implementing it might depend on the company being able to buy the rest of Hulu.

This is just wishful thinking but I always thought it would be neat to have an anthology type show. I'd keep the episode count low like how Black Mirror's later seasons have only 6 episodes. My hope is with a low episode count, you can have roughly 60 minute episodes with higher budgets so it would come across more as short films (one that I'd hope the MCU movies proper could acknowledge). With a show like this you can spotlight characters that may not get a chance to be featured in a movie/show of their own as well as taking the opportunity to focus on previously established MCU characters (i.e. Hollowing Commandos, Agent Carter, young Hank Pym, Nick Fury etc...).

And as a homage to the Marvel Comics Presents comic from the late 80s I'd call it Marvel Studios Presents. Again wishful thinking :hyper:

I'd really like to see something like this. Like a series of standalone one-shots. They could be based on things like all the classic anthology comic lines as well as other smaller characters and stories that don't need their own series or movies. Have classic Kirby monsters, supernatural mysteries, the classic western comics, etc. All the Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish and Amazing Adventures and Adventures into Weird Worlds, etc. It could also tell a story of a character that has been missing for a long time due to cancellation or being forgotten. Like Peggy Carter or even *gasp* one of the Inhumans. Or like a Deathlok episode we wouldn't get on SHIELD.

Disney will own the majority stake in Hulu after the Fox acquisition goes through. Bob Iger has said that Hulu will be the streaming platform for Disney's more adult films and TV shows. He seems to have a strategy in mind for all of Disney's content, though implementing it might depend on the company being able to buy the rest of Hulu.

This is going to make me a lot less interested in subscribing to either one.

I don't want to have to maintain 10 different subscriptions.

If Disney really wants to compete with Netflix, they should offer one service with maximum content.

As for series content, things like Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger etc. won't interest me.

I want characters I recognize from comic-books. I don't know how popular Cloak and Dagger or Runaways comic books are with the kids, but I've never read them (and only heard of them because of the TV shows).

Ghost-Rider, Man-Thing, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, even Howard the Duck would all get my attention, but not the sort of things that have been featured on ABC.

I was excited by Inhumans until they completely blew that one.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur (and I fully accept that possibility), but I want recognizable Marvel characters for Marvel TV shows. None of the things I've seen on ABC or Hulu up to this point would encourage me to spend money on a subscription service.

I want characters I recognize from comic-books. I don't know how popular Cloak and Dagger or Runaways comic books are with the kids, but I've never read them (and only heard of them because of the TV shows).
C&D, not very. That's quite clearly been made for the intention of a "socially aware" series on their teen network. Runaways, the book, was a hit, especially for something that was cancelled yet brought back the next year.

As for series content, things like Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Runaways, Cloak and Dagger etc. won't interest me.

Ghost-Rider, Man-Thing, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, even Howard the Duck would all get my attention, but not the sort of things that have been featured on ABC.

I was excited by Inhumans until they completely blew that one.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur (and I fully accept that possibility), but I want recognizable Marvel characters for Marvel TV shows. None of the things I've seen on ABC or Hulu up to this point would encourage me to spend money on a subscription service.

You are a dinosaur. You havent evrn heard of cloak and dagger. There are pretty well-knowm amomg Marvel fans

Also just because Runaways werent created in the 70 when you were reading comics it doesnt make them an less well-known. Vaughans take was pretty popular.

You are a dinosaur. You havent evrn heard of cloak and dagger. There are pretty well-knowm amomg Marvel fans

Also just because Runaways werent created in the 70 when you were reading comics it doesnt make them an less well-known. Vaughans take was pretty popular.

Fair enough, but I think something to keep in mind is dinosaurs like me actually read comic-books. We didn't have video games, fantasy movies for streaming etc.

So I think comic-book characters that were popular in the 70's were more broadly popular then, and by extension more broadly popular now.

I'm 53. I'm not dead yet. I've got money to spend and I'll spend it for a product I want, but ABC-type shows produced for streaming won't entice me.

Age and what you think are recognizable is very subjective. I had a coworker who was in his 40's commenting on how he wished they'd make a Cloak and Dagger movie and when I told him about the show his eyes lit up. I believe they were created in the 80's and featured in a lot of Spider-man comics, it wasn't a matter of them being currently popular but being a relatively untouched property that someone can make a unique show with.

And while Runaways was more recent (about a decade ago) their comic run was incredibly well received by both fans and critics to the point where Marvel was actively trying to get it made into a movie or a show since it came out. In fact it was going to be an MCU film in phase 2 until James Gunn pitched his idea for Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's a matter of perspective and personal preference, still you shouldn't outright reject something because it's not nostalgic enough for you because to someone else it's the greatest thing ever. Maybe watch the trailers, read reviews, then judge whether it's worth pursuing.

It's a matter of perspective and personal preference, still you shouldn't outright reject something because it's not nostalgic enough for you because to someone else it's the greatest thing ever. Maybe watch the trailers, read reviews, then judge whether it's worth pursuing.

I've got literally hundreds of unwatched Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, Showtime etc. shows on a list of shows I intend to watch at some point. I'm not going to waste a lot of my time seeking out and evaluating new options.

It's Disney's marketing department's job to get my attention one way or another. It's not my job or responsibility to seek out and thoughtfully consider their offerings.

If Disney streaming offers Man-Thing or Ghost Rider, they'd have my attention. If they offer something I'm not interested in, they won't get my attention.

I'm very simply speaking for myself. I may be completely out of the Demographic Disney is shooting for and they may have no interest in my subscription, and that's fine. Or they may target customers like me and offer content that interests me. I have no idea what their service will look like.

I can't speak for anyone else, I can only speak for myself, so that's what I'm doing.

Last edited:
DC and Disney Streaming both have one hook for me at the moment Young Justice and Clone Wars, after that, neither has anything else really that is going make me subscribe.

Can Disney show Next Avengers and all the other animated features or it that Lionsgate??

This is going to make me a lot less interested in subscribing to either one.

I don't want to have to maintain 10 different subscriptions.

If Disney really wants to compete with Netflix, they should offer one service with maximum content.

Exactly! If Disney thinks we will subscribe to both services, they'll be in for a rude awakening. They should just fold Hulu into the Disney Streaming Service as a complete package, and give consumers an option to include or exclude the adult content. That will be the kryptonite of Netflix.

DC and Disney Streaming both have one hook for me at the moment Young Justice and Clone Wars, after that, neither has anything else really that is going make me subscribe.

I plan on subscribing. Saves me money and having to buy some Disney movies. But I do hope they give me a new season of Agent Carter or something as I want a proper conclusion to it, but I don't want the Marvel shows on there to just be cartoons or shows of that level. I do want shows based on recognizable characters, as well. Something like Cloak and Dagger is fine by me.

Yeah, having to be suscribed to 2 services just to have access to all of the Marvel properties is pretty dumb.

If it's Marvel Studios instead of Marvel Television, that will certainly be interesting from a studio perspective.

Otherwise, it depends a lot on execution. Both have had books every so often, but both characters seem to be a bit on the pricier side if they do it right. Maybe we could see Balder the Brave.

I think this kinda goes to show what Feige' and co's opinion of the Netflix shows and whether they consider them canon

I think this kinda goes to show what Feige' and co's opinion of the Netflix shows and whether they consider them canon

I don't agree with that, really. Maybe it says he would prefer he have control over how the bigger characters are treated on screen, but as far as cannon...Nah, this doesn't mean anything there. The current Marvel TV shows really don't effect the movie cannon, anyway. So really whether Feige thinks of them as cannon or not, who honestly cares? Marvel TV depend on the movies and still reference them. So for the shows, they're treated as same universe. Good enough for me.

Without even taking the Pixar and other Disney shows into consideration, this has already become a must have with just Marvel and Star Wars shows.

I don't agree with that, really. Maybe it says he would prefer he have control over how the bigger characters are treated on screen, but as far as cannon...Nah, this doesn't mean anything there. The current Marvel TV shows really don't effect the movie cannon, anyway. So really whether Feige thinks of them as cannon or not, who honestly cares? Marvel TV depend on the movies and still reference them. So for the shows, they're treated as same universe. Good enough for me.
I just don't really see them being connected at this point. I believe that if Feige wanted to make a Luke Cage movie, itdi be someone other than Mike Colter in the role

This has nothing to do with them. Loki wouldn't have appeared on Netflix because it doesn't fit the tone Netflix was going for.

The more interesting question is what Bob Iger feels about Marvel Television.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"