Marvel sidekicks

DGrayson

Civilian
Reaction score
I know that marvel has fame of not having any kid sidekicks because some writers find it absurd, but I remembered seeing the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Book of the dead in 2004, and the summary for the book is:

The Story: The House of Ideas pays tribute to its fallen heroes! OHOTMUBOTD04 includes in-depth bios on more than 40 of Marvel’s dearly departed — from ancient ones, old soldiers, kid sidekicks and Stacys to casualties of THE comic-book event of 2004: Avengers Disassembled! Plus: an all-new, digitally painted cover by superstar artist Salvador Larroca!

So my main question is, does the marvel universe has more sidekicks other than bucky? I know bucky is famous for being a sidekick to captain america but are there anymore sidekicks in the MU?

Well, I know both Jubilee and Kitty Pryde were sidekicks to Wolverine for a while.

Rick Jones; Sidekick to The Hulk, Captain America, and Captain Mar-vell.

Adding some more:

Moon Knight once had a side-kick (or at least a teen vigilante who wanted to be his sidekick), Midnight. Midnight was eventually kidnapped by an evil organization, brainwashed into becoming an evil warrior and turned into a cyborg. Does Brubaker's "Bucky" stuff look very original now?

Spider-Man had Spider-Kid (later the Steel Spider) as a side-kick wanna-be too. Wonder Man had a team of folks empowered by his ionic rays, the Crazy 8 (most of which are powerless now). The andriod Human Torch back in the day had a teenage sidekick, Toro.

One could argue that Franklin Richards at times acted like a side-kick to the Fantastic Four.

The Thing once was the mentor of Marvel Boy (now Justice).

captain america and the falcon, he \was his sidekid hause he was black. aslso you knoa aho else was a sideckik? Superman. He was bucky sideckick hahahah

Gety away from me i'm drunk i cant blieve i aprotrophed

In The Young Avengers It Was Revealed That After Bucky'ssupposed Death Kids Stopped Wanting To Be Kid Sidekicks

Cap and Falcon are a team of equal worth, Sam ain't no sidekick.

Not Jake same as always.

it could be said that mj is SPIDER-MANS sidekick:spidey:

The definition of a sidekick is someone who goes out and helps the hero fight crime....Mj, Foggy, Alfred...they are all confidants

Dread said:
Adding some more:

Moon Knight once had a side-kick (or at least a teen vigilante who wanted to be his sidekick), Midnight. Midnight was eventually kidnapped by an evil organization, brainwashed into becoming an evil warrior and turned into a cyborg. Does Brubaker's "Bucky" stuff look very original now?

Spider-Man had Spider-Kid (later the Steel Spider) as a side-kick wanna-be too. Wonder Man had a team of folks empowered by his ionic rays, the Crazy 8 (most of which are powerless now). The andriod Human Torch back in the day had a teenage sidekick, Toro.

One could argue that Franklin Richards at times acted like a side-kick to the Fantastic Four.

The Thing once was the mentor of Marvel Boy (now Justice).

I remember that now. It was acctually pretty cool

human torch had toro..
cap had bucky
captain britain had jackdaw
Hulk had rick jones

question is..are there any villains that had sidekicks..not flunkies or henchmen but a sidekick groomed to be there successors??

deemar325 said:
Cap and Falcon are a team of equal worth, Sam ain't no sidekick.

Not Jake same as always.
I would have said that if you hadn't. A sidekick implies a sort of unequal partnership, usually in that the sidekick is usually a minor, who is inexperienced and less powerful as a solo hero.

Same with Giant-Man & The Wasp (even though women played much more submissive roles back in the 60's). Partners aren't the same as sidekicks.

I mean, if we named partners, Black Widow was Daredevil's partner for a while (and even served the "damsel in distress" role for him many times). Black Cat used to be Spider-Man's partner.

But, I can see where there is a fine line between a "sidekick" or a partner, and the roles may seem blurred. Usually it may just come down to what age the comic was written. Sidekicks were still rather common for superheroes into the Silver Age, but afterwards it was less "hip" to call it that. Same as the fact that Dick Grayson was Bruce Wayne's "ward", but Tim Drake was offically "adopted". Different times bring on different terms.

While I think that Marvel should take a few things from DC (like aging characters, creating a single universe, adhering more to continuity), I like the few differences that Marvel does have from DC like having their comics take place in our world and barely any sidekicks (sidekicks just seem more like a DC thing)

Agreed, it works in DC, but I just can't see sidekicks working in Marvel as well in the traditional sense, especially not with CW now. Like with Jubilee and Kitty with Wolverine, they were on the team anyway so instead of making them pure sidekicks he just took them under his wing and taught them how to fight. Same with Spidey, I just couldn't see him letting a 10 yr old tagging along to fight Venom.

When I got older I thought it was kind of dumb because realistically it's still a kid your letting fight supervillains. Then I think how there'd be no Robin or Nightwing and think sidekicks were worth it for that, but then think of a kid trained in MA with no powers fighting supervillains, and how Joker owned and killed one version of Robbin (until Hush that is).

With CW now and it starting because a young team of hero's messed up with Nitro, the idea of a kid tagging along with hero's just doesn't fit with Marvel well anymore, not that it ever really did.

Sry, nothing to add than that lol. Could probably google some Marvel hero's and sidekicks they had, but don't feel like it atm, drawing a blank on ones not mentioned alrdy.

To note a recent development, Arana is currently working with Ms. Marvel under the SHRA so one could MAYBE hint that she might become Carol's "sidekick". Although they haven't really fought together yet, Arana's still observing stuff.

Dread said:
I would have said that if you hadn't. A sidekick implies a sort of unequal partnership, usually in that the sidekick is usually a minor, who is inexperienced and less powerful as a solo hero.

While not a minor, the rest of your description still places Falcon under sidekick status. Sam is less expierienced than Cap (Cap actually trained Falcon in un-armed combat) and certainly he's not as powerful....

Mind you; I'm not INSISTING that Sam is a mere sidekick, just that that particular analysis doesnt help his case, lol. (no offense)

FadingCB said:
Agreed, it works in DC, but I just can't see sidekicks working in Marvel as well in the traditional sense, especially not with CW now. Like with Jubilee and Kitty with Wolverine, they were on the team anyway so instead of making them pure sidekicks he just took them under his wing and taught them how to fight. Same with Spidey, I just couldn't see him letting a 10 yr old tagging along to fight Venom.

When I got older I thought it was kind of dumb because realistically it's still a kid your letting fight supervillains. Then I think how there'd be no Robin or Nightwing and think sidekicks were worth it for that, but then think of a kid trained in MA with no powers fighting supervillains, and how Joker owned and killed one version of Robbin (until Hush that is).

With CW now and it starting because a young team of hero's messed up with Nitro, the idea of a kid tagging along with hero's just doesn't fit with Marvel well anymore, not that it ever really did.

Sry, nothing to add than that lol. Could probably google some Marvel hero's and sidekicks they had, but don't feel like it atm, drawing a blank on ones not mentioned alrdy.

I see it as the complete opposite. After CW there should be way more trainees (sidekicks) getting field experience with "veteran" heroes after they've gotten some basic training. We've all seen how even with Danger Room training, the mutants have learned more by being "on the field" than with simple training. Of course, most of the time the young heroes do it all on their own (they HAVE to, otherwise what would their appeal be?) and CW is the rational, grown up explanation why the young heroes shouldn't be out on their own.

Hey, Night Thrasher had been training for years before taking his fight to the streets and even more years before he donned the armor and a bit after that he got a team together. It doesn't matter that all the other young heroes on the team had previous training, that when the NW were formed they had training from 3 people (Dwayne, Chord and Tai) or that they had vast resources thanks to the Taylor foundation. The only fact that is important is that they were young and reckless and had stars in their eyes and made a big mistake because of it.:rolleyes: That's why everyone should start having sidekicks, it's what makes the most sense, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"