• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mattel to launch film studio!

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
Toymaker Mattel will launch a film division named Mattel Films, which will focus on developing movies based on their various toylines - which include Masters of the Universe, Hot Wheels, Barbie, Thundercats, and more.

“Mattel is home to one of the world’s greatest portfolios of beloved franchises, and the creation of Mattel Films will allow us to unlock significant value across our IP,” said Mattel Chairman and CEO Ynon Kreiz in a statement (via Deadline). “Robbie is a gifted storyteller and a highly respected filmmaker with deep relationships in entertainment. She is the perfect leader to bring our celebrated brands to life.”

Mattel Films will be headed by producer Robbie Brenner, who was nominated for an Oscar for the film Dallas Buyer's Club.

“Generations of children around the world have grown up with deep emotional connections to Mattel’s brands and characters,” said Brenner. “There are so many stories to be told and so many imaginations to be captured by these iconic brands, and I look forward to working with Ynon and his team to do so.”
MATTEL Launches Film Studio for HE-MAN, BARBIE, Other Movies

Interesting. Maybe now we'll get some of this stuff off the back burner.

I thought they already had a lot of those films in development?

Yes, but now they can be in even longer development.

I played with Hot Wheels as a kid but I've absolutely zero desire to see a movie based around it!

A He-Man/She-Ra trilogy of films could work. Film 1 - He-Man, Film 2 - She-Ra, Film 3 - Masters of the Universe.

A He-Man/She-Ra trilogy of films could work. Film 1 - He-Man, Film 2 - She-Ra, Film 3 - Masters of the Universe.

And a crossover with thundercats?

Didn't Mattel already launch a film studio or division before?

At least now He-Man has a chance to not suck.

Will believe He-Man gets made when I see it.

After the amount of money transformers made i think it's a good possibility. Whether it's any good is a different question.

After the amount of money transformers made i think it's a good possibility. Whether it's any good is a different question.

Transformers franchise is already in decline. And I mean, the first movie hit it big 10 years ago, and He-Man has still failed to get a movie through all that time despite being set up at both Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures.

Transformers franchise is already in decline. And I mean, the first movie hit it big 10 years ago, and He-Man has still failed to get a movie through all that time despite being set up at both Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures.

It might be in decline but they made $billions. If they think they can make money they will do it.

The five Transformers movies released since 2007 gave Paramount Pictures creative control, and featured big stars, bloated budgets, and rising violence. The movies did plenty in revenue, but with a slim cut for Hasbro. In a new deal with Paramount, Hasbro will take more creative control and put up more capital for a larger cut of profits. Bumblebee is a family-friendly take on Transformers, made with a slimmer budget.

I'm familiar with Mattel as far as the ones behind Barbie and Hot Wheels. And apparently they recently lost Disney princesses to Hasbro, so they got a ways to go.

It might be in decline but they made $billions. If they think they can make money they will do it.

Except He-Man hasn't been relevant since the 1980s. Transformers managed to become popular again well past that thanks to shows like Beast Wars, which revived the brand.

I want a sequel to 87's Masters of the Universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"