MCU's answer to Death Wish and John Wick

Discussion in 'The Punisher' started by Hordakfan, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Hordakfan

Hordakfan Well-Known Member

Would you consider this to be the marvel television/cinematic universe's equal to both films?

2. righthooksrus86

righthooksrus86 Well-Known Member

Death Wish maybe, John Wick not so much. The Punisher, especially Jon Bernthal's version reminds me more of Rambo than John Wick.

3. Random490

Random490 Well-Known Member

Not really, this show pretty much tried to avoid that. Death Wish and John Wick are just wish fulfillment films, something terrible happens to the leads to justify intense violence, just enough that the audience can root for them. This show had a little more nuance than that, specially in the finale where [BLACKOUT]the climax was Frank saving a stand in for his family and decide to find help with a support group (one of the most interesting place to leave the season with) as oppose to "kill them all" thing most people were expecting.[/BLACKOUT] Not saying it's necessarily a better decision or a huge difference, I personally liked that more, but they definitely leaned him much closer to a hero than an anti-hero.

Rambo First Blood is a much better comparison.

4. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Yeah. I thought that it reminded me more of First Blood than Death Wish. He seems a different type of vigilante to Charles Bronson or Bruce Willis in Death Wish.

Maybe they can have a First Blood homage episode where Frank goes to a small town trying to mind his own business and he gets arrested by a sheriff and is forced to take them all on. The sheriff and the police aren't aware that Castle is actually the Publisher but only find out when the situation gets out of hand and the feds are brought in.

5. righthooksrus86

righthooksrus86 Well-Known Member

Certain things about Jon Bernthal's performance in season 1 made me think he drew inspiration from rambo...the way he scowls in certain scenes and the voice and of course the war cry.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing like John Wick at all.

7. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Sounds deadly! :funny: