mental discrimination.

Danalys

Sol Invictus
Reaction score
i've been thinking about something i'm calling mental discrimination. this is the clasifying of certain personality traits as mental disorders. mostly i've been thinking of this because my doctor believes i have asperger syndrome. i'm open to the possibility that he's right. this would basically mean that i'm bad at following societal rules. since our societal rules of interaction seem arbitrary to me, is it really bad that i can't follow them so well. after all people can miss understand my behaviour as i their's, since it is unusual. i just happen to be in the minority.

Doctors will tell you anything as long as they get paid and you get hooked on their "medicine".

So your like Rain man or something?

Danalys said:
i've been thinking about something i'm calling mental discrimination. this is the clasifying of certain personality traits as mental disorders. mostly i've been thinking of this because my doctor believes i have asperger syndrome. i'm open to the possibility that he's right. this would basically mean that i'm bad at following societal rules. since our societal rules of interaction seem arbitrary to me, is it really bad that i can't follow them so well. after all people can miss understand my behaviour as i their's, since it is unusual. i just happen to be in the minority.

Societal interaction is only arbitrary to those who lack flexibility, like those with Asperger's.

there are social behaviours that i can't pick up on very well. now we all have varying degrees of ability in this area, but i'd be at the lower end of that continuum. it's like less severe autism.

Danalys said:
there are social behaviours that i can't pick up on very well. now we all have varying degrees of ability in this area, but i'd be at the lower end of that continuum. it's like less severe autism.

Do you have any special skills, like counting tooth picks or something?

War Lord said:
Societal interaction is only arbitrary to those who lack flexibility, like those with Asperger's.

it's either arbitrary or not. it's just that most wouldn't care if it was arbitrary or not.

I can pick up on anything very quickly, but I conciously reject most social behavoirs. They are at complete conflict with me. I'm very eccentric. Am I like you?

Strange said:

no but i'm highly intelligent.

Danalys said:

It's likely that you have Asperger's. That's not a terrible thing, because you aren't limited in your ability to succeed.

The best advice I can give is to learn to fake it in social interactions, because you won't really learn how to socialize like normal people.

Strange said:

He does. He can stare at walls for hours on end.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
I can pick up on anything very quickly, but I conciously reject most social behavoirs. They are at complete conflict with me. I'm very eccentric. Am I like you?

the classification for these things aren't so iron clad.

this makes me think of that song "I'm not like everybody else"

Honestly, I think I've dated a couple of guys like that. But I think they may have been a lot worse then what you are. I think most guys in this situation are drawn to me as well, I had a married man call me up that was socially awkward looking for some nookie.

FunBobPants said:
this makes me think of that song "I'm not like everybody else"

everyone's like everyone else in thinking that.

War Lord said:
It's likely that you have Asperger's. That's not a terrible thing, because you aren't limited in your ability to succeed.

The best advice I can give is to learn to fake it in social interactions, because you won't really learn how to socialize like normal people.

it's sure as hell limiting my ability to succeed at the moment.

Danalys said:
it's sure as hell limiting my ability to succeed at the moment.

That's why I'm advising you to learn to fake your social interactions.

do your eyes like just go cross-eyed and you just stare off into nothing for a few seconds?

You need to learn to rock out with your sock out :up:

War Lord said:
That's why I'm advising you to learn to fake your social interactions.

strangly some times it's very easy to interact socially. i think i'm good in certain situations when people are acting in certain ways. probably when they are in good moods and it's easily aparent tho. i don't like to fake things tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"