mental discrimination.

i don't think i really have asperger's i'm probably just a burntout gifted individual.

Danalys said:
i've been thinking about something i'm calling mental discrimination. this is the clasifying of certain personality traits as mental disorders. mostly i've been thinking of this because my doctor believes i have asperger syndrome. i'm open to the possibility that he's right. this would basically mean that i'm bad at following societal rules. since our societal rules of interaction seem arbitrary to me, is it really bad that i can't follow them so well. after all people can miss understand my behaviour as i their's, since it is unusual. i just happen to be in the minority.

I hate how everything today has to be classified as a 'disorder'. I don't buy your story for a second. You have a 'disorder' that prevents you from following rules? Wtf kinda nonsense is that?

Oh, it's not his fault. He has a ... disorder.

Give me an effing break.

lazur said:
I hate how everything today has to be classified as a 'disorder'. I don't buy your story for a second. You have a 'disorder' that prevents you from following rules? Wtf kinda nonsense is that?

Oh, it's not his fault. He has a ... disorder.

Give me an effing break.

He's talking about social interaction. For example, most people know enough of how far to ask with personal questions. However, somebody with Asperger's don't know how far to go. To them, asking if somebody had diarrhea has no more "don't go there" quality than asking somebody if they have a plasma tv.

it's none of our faults that we are what we are. we are judged on what we are inspite of that. accurately or inaccurately as it maybe.

Danalys said:
it's none of our faults that we are what we are. we are judged on what we are inspite of that. accurately or inaccurately as it maybe.

This is where I would disagree with you. It is your responsibility to try and develop those social qualities. You are capable of doing this, though you will have many frustrations and failures. But I believe that, though you would have to fake it, you can learn which areas not to go, though you might not always understand why you shouldn't go there.

i can have tact i just have to think before i speak.

Heh, I didn't mean about offensive things. I'm talking about tactless people who say stupid things. I can deal with offensive people because they're often intelligent. There's no arguing with stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"