Metropolis remake

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Remake Of Lang's "Metropolis" Planned
By Garth Franklin
Monday December 10th 2007 12:48am
Producer Thomas Schuehly ("Alexander") has acquired the remake rights to Fritz Lang's 1927 silent sci-fi classic "Metropolis" reports Variety.

Considered one of the most expensive films of its time, the movie is set in 2026 in a massive city-state characterized by its monumental skyscrapers and art-deco architecture.

The film depicts the class struggle between the wealthy society of planners and thinkers, who live in luxury high above the Earth, and the workers, who live underground, toiling to sustain the lives of the privileged.

Schuehly and Mario Kassar are currently in negotiations with a number of top directors to helm the pic, with a final decision expected in the next few months.

Yeah, I've decided this morning after hearing this that I'm done paying for remakes. If they can't come up with an original idea and want me to pay again for what I already own or have seen then they are sadly mistaken. From now on remakes that I see will be bootlegs, downloads or sneaking into the theater. If Hollywood can be dishonest, so can I.

Yeah, I've decided this morning after hearing this that I'm done paying for remakes. If they can't come up with an original idea and want me to pay again for what I already own or have seen then they are sadly mistaken. From now on remakes that I see will be bootlegs, downloads or sneaking into the theater. If Hollywood can be dishonest, so can I.

so you're not willing to pay for a remake but your willing to watch bootlegs of them?!

how about just avoiding them completely? and how is making a remake dishonest?

pretty dumb post you made.

I think this could be good depending, hope it focuses on the idea and not the original film though. Unlike alot of modern day remakes this is based on a SILENT film which requires a lot of changes to be made. As long as they stick to the concept and ideas the film raised, everything should be good.

hmm i thought metropolis would be public domain by now and thus not need rights. and if it is still to become public domain does the remake get effected in anyway at that time.

This is ridiculous.

90% of today's movie goer's don't even know what Metropolis is. And they certainly won't be picking it up on DVD any time soon.

i can't wait to see a remake of Fritz Lang's "M" directed by Michael Bay with Gerad Butler !

If they can't come up with an original idea and want me to pay again for what I already own or have seen then they are sadly mistaken.

This statement illustrates why I don't really care about the writers' strike.
:o

Guess I'm the only one for this and see remaking SILENT OLD OLD OLD OLD films better than Hollywood remaking films from ten years ago... because this is going to be a new take with same concept, no way around it- it can't be remotely similar to a silent film too many things have changed making the writer and director really think about how they will adapt it. Leaving basically only the bare bone elements from the original and the concept.

It would be a neat idea, because it would look completely different.

WoW! I totally forgot this movie. I would really like to see the remake of that movie with today's technology. I Cant wait to see this!

metropolis16.jpg

Guess I'm the only one for this and see remaking SILENT OLD OLD OLD OLD films better than Hollywood remaking films from ten years ago... because this is going to be a new take with same concept, no way around it- it can't be remotely similar to a silent film too many things have changed making the writer and director really think about how they will adapt it. Leaving basically only the bare bone elements from the original and the concept.

I'm with you on this one actually. I agree with your first post as well Tempest19. I'm surprised they haven't started making remakes of the silent films sooner.

It would be a neat idea, because it would look completely different.

Exactly! It's not like the original was made 20-30 years ago... more like 50-60 if not more than that.

I agree that is has to be a silent movie like the old one. Actually its what make this movie special.

i was gonna say the same thing. i completely understand the hate for remaking horror movies that are only 20 years old, but this is absolutely perfect, especially since 90% of moviegoers haven't seen the original.

I just think this needs to be ab****ely groundbreaking in its style and effects, it only makes sense since the original was so.

I was hoping for someone like James Cameron to do a project like this since he is so heavily involved in new movie filming/viewing technology.

Maybe... MAYBE... if Tim Burton was directing this I could get behind it. However, outside of him I can't think of anybody who could capture the German Expressionist style that made the movie so fantastic. Werner Herzog maybe? He did a fantastic job with Nosferatu back in the day... but does Metropolis really need a chicken in it?

Glad to see not everyone is throwing the running-out-of-original-ideas argument at this. This will be an interesting project to keep an eye on.

A Metropolis remake... I'm both frightened & fascinated.

It will probably be on a par with Peter Jackson's King Kong - visually stunning, but nowhere near as groundbreaking as the original.

Any news of this yet? Or was it cancelled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"