Mom Arrested After Giving Her 11-year-old a Tattoo

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by charl_huntress, Oct 8, 2012.

1. charl_huntress Registered

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-arrested-giving-her-11-old-tattoo-194700542.html

What do you think? Why is it acceptable to have your child's ears pierced, even multiple times, but illegal to allow them to get a tattoo?

2. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

can't you, ya know, REMOVE an earring?

3. Project862006 Registered

daughter wanted it mom gave her one whats the problem

4. Sawyer High King

*prepares to be disgusted*
    Oh, that's it? :o

5. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

See below.
    She's 11. Part of being a parent is telling your child, "No," every now and then.

6. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

Okay, people are freaking out. What exactly is wrong? Objectively, kids not having tattoos is a social norm and nothing more. I challenge one person to dispute that claim.

7. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

did the article say what the tattoo was of?

8. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

My mistake. Wrong info.

#8 Warhammer, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  9. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

The only thing I wonder is that when the child grows up, wouldn't the tattoo stretch and not look the same?

10. charl_huntress Registered

Yes, the mother arrested in this story gave her daughter a non filled in small heart near her shoulder.

The article details other kids who have gotten tatts, but for this particuar one the mother in NC gave her daughter a tatt of a small non filled in heart.

11. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

exactly, and plus, she's 11, she's may think the heart or whatever is cool now, but she'll be pining over something else next week she's not physically or emotionally mature enough to make a decision like having an image etched into your flesh that can only be removed by a laser.

12. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

Pretty much. At her age, her wants and desires are fickle at best. She's far too young make that decision. Honestly, even at 18 some people still don't have the maturity for tattoos but, at that age, there's not really anything you can do to stop them.

13. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

EH, I don't see any reason for her to be arrested. Sure, it's a stupid mistake, but nothing the authorities need to stick their noses into.

14. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

My gripe is that this whole thing is government punishable for some reason. There are worse things going on and if she actually got sent to jail, it'd be a complete waste of the taxpayer's dollars. Say what you want about whether it's right or wrong for a child to have a tattoo, but it's not like it's domestic violence.

Tiger moms aren't being convicted. Moms on Toddlers and Tiaras aren't being convicted. This mother (regardless of personal opinion on children with tattoos) should not be convicted. It's an unnecessary waste of time.

15. DarkSovereignty Ooga Chakka

the mom should be to forced to get "Dumb Ass" tattooed on her forehead.

16. SpideyVille Walking out the Desert

I agree, I even think I remember hearing something once about how most children aren't completely consciously aware of their decisions, thoughts and consequences until at least age 12. So it wouldn't be surprising for them to regret having a tattoo at a later age. But then again, it also depends on the environment they grow up in. It might be more acceptable since the mother is a tattoo artist and has her own tattoos.

I think my biggest issue with this is not so much that the mother allowed it, because she is the child's mother and I cant say anything about raising kids, but moreso about what it says about society and how much earlier young children are doing things these days. I mean nowadays, its almost natural to see young and pre-teens having cell phones, facebook or other social media accounts, dress as though they are young adults, and unfortunately have access to cigarettes and alcohol. It just seems like such a change from 10-15 years ago when I was young.

17. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

So, then we make it perfectly legal for parents to tattoo their kids if the kid asks for it? And when the kid decides they don't want the tattoo anymore, because at 11 your mind changes more often than your clothes, do the parents have to subject the kid to laser treatments to remove it, or take them for a cover up job? I understand where you're coming from but, there are certain laws in place to draw a line somewhere. Should mom go to jail for this, probably not. I'd be in favor of a fine, though. Maybe a couple parenting classes on how to say, "No," to your kids. But, not jail.

18. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Yes.

And this is a great lesson on why you should say "No." to your kids.

Provided, of course, the kid eventually wants it changed. It doesn't necessarily work like that, you know.

19. OctaviusINC Trust Me.

When I was in 4th grade or so I wanted a tattoo of a flaming 8-ball.

I thought it would be so "rad".

Thank god this woman wasn't my mom because I'd have one lame ass tattoo on my arm.

20. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

In my junior year I drew a yin-yang on my left hand between my thumb and index finger. Was so certain I would get that tattoo. Even though, I'm now 36 and have several tattoos, I'm glad that's not one of them.

Ferret, are you in favor of making anything illegal?

21. knowsbleed Registered

Of course the daughter shouldn't get it.The daughter didn't go through the proper rituals of womanhood yet to earn the tattoo.

22. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Yes, I am. This, however, falls into the "mind your own business" category.

23. Hotwire Dealin' W/ Demons

Well, given the health risks involved with tattoos and their permanency, I can't come up with any reason why it should be legal to tattoo your preteens, or teens for that matter. Why would any one support letting kids get tattoos?

24. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Which health risks are those, if you will? It seems to me that since it's become a common thing to do, it's gotten much safer to get a tattoo.

25. Lantern Venom Emerald Echo Podcast Co-Host

Tattoos are inherently risky, especially for people who don't have the proper credentials. The article says the mom "moonlights" as a tat artist, but that doesn't clarify her actual training.

But does the law really need to be involved with something like this? I think not. The mom wasn't being intentionally neglectful or abusive, which is the only reason they should be involved.