Monkey Man | Dev Patel directs and stars

This feels like a game changer for action cinema. Super excited to see what Dev has in store for us.

Patel has most definitely come a long way from Slumdog Millionaire. All this positive buzz, coupled with what the man put his body through, I will definitely have to check this out.

"I was just trying to find a way to tell this story," Patel explained. "I wanted it out there. Originally, I hired a friend to write it." Paul Angunawela ("Keith Lemon: The Film") and John Collee ("Hotel Mumbai") are both credited as co-writers on the final product, but initially, Patel says two of them worked on it during an intense year-long process. "I ended up co-writing it and then we, like, hid it in a coffee shop in Koreatown in L.A. for a year driving my manager and everyone crazy because I didn't take any work," Patel confessed, adding that he wanted to "get the vibe of the Korean films in [him] while writing all day."

Patel says it was ultimately filmmaker Neill Blomkamp who convinced him to direct the movie. "We did a film together, 'Chappie,' and I actually wasn't going to [direct 'Monkey Man'], originally," Patel explained at SXSW, referencing the 2015 sci-fi film in which he played a programmer opposite Sharlto Copley's titular robot. Blomkamp, who found box office success with his own debut film "District 9" in 2009, pointed out that no one knew the story of "Monkey Man" better than Patel himself. "Me and Neill started talking," Patel recalled, "and Neill's like, 'You know, man, you should do this. You know every corner of it.'"

I’m sorry, but standing ovations don’t count unless we know the specific runtimes. Was it 10 minutes? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? Cannes demands answers. :o

I wonder if they had enough money to get the rights to the rolling stones song 'monkey man', they used it to good effect in goodfellas. it would be great to hear it during a fight scene though.
im pleased for dev patel getting his film into cinemas, read an interview with him in the guardian once, nice kid.

Saw an early screening last night in Portland...

MONKEY ****ING MAN, man. [4.5/5]

Dev is putting stuff into this film most seasoned directors are scared to touch, and this is his first.

Bold ideas, fun action, hilarious moments… and heart.

Might be one of the most earned henchman finale fights ever.

What an incredible film this was. The hell that Dev Patel talked about putting his body through resonates through this very great film with some strong direction from Patel. I eagerly await to see more from him in the director's chair, but this was a strong, engaging thriller with some well-choreographed and directed fight scenes that make you feel like you're part of the fight, kind of like The Iron Claw did.

I will echo the sentiment have said that there's a bit too much shaky cam, but that doesn't deter from this being a very good movie with an absolutely brutal, yet great third act! I actually disagree with those who go straight for the John Wick comparisons because this film is so much more than that. Are there similarities? Of course, right down to that film being name-dropped here, but this is a story about revenge and self-discovery, coupled with some great fight and stunt work. Worth seeing in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"