Monsters: Dark Continent

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
"Monsters" Sequel Begins Filming

By Garth Franklin Monday March 25th 2013 05:56PM
While filmmaker Gareth Edwards recently began production of the "Godzilla" reboot, shooting is also underway on the sequel to the indie genre film that made him famous.
"Monsters: Dark Continent" is a follow-up to Edwards' 2010 ultra low-budget "Monsters" which scored critical acclaim.
Frequent "Misfits" director Tom Green makes his feature debut on the Jay Basu-penned project, while Edwards will executive produce.
Johnny Harris ("Welcome To The Punch"), Sam Keeley ("What Richard Did") and Joe Dempsie ("Game Of Thrones") star in the project which is set several years after the original.
Infected Zones have now spread across the world. As the US military try to wipe out the monsters, they soon realize they face resistance from a number of corners.
Vertigo Films and 42 are producing the project which is filming in both Jordan and Detroit.

Who is directing this one? I think something good could come of this. I hadn't realized that it wasn't already in production.

It's a guy who's done several episodes of the british super powers show, Misfits (series 1 and 2 are excellent). I don't know which episodes he did but the it's generally well directed for a tv show.

I liked the original when I caught it on TV.. a sequel has potential.

Didn't see a thread for this yet. I had no idea that they were making a sequel to Gareth Edwards' 2010 film. I'm usually wary of any sequel where the director and lead actors don't return but I have to say this looks pretty good. It looks like a very different type of film than the original, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It appears that this film might be somewhat of an allegory for the US's wars in the Middle East. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdVPKPhv5s

I actually saw the original in theaters, it was pretty good, especially considering its budget was a miniscule 500k.
It looks like the new one has a wee bit more funding, it could be a good low budget sci fi romp.

I actually saw the original in theaters, it was pretty good, especially considering its budget was a miniscule 500k.
It looks like the new one has a wee bit more funding, it could be a good low budget sci fi romp.

Yeah my one complaint about the original was that (I think) the low budget forced the film to be a bit stingy when it came to actually showing the creatures. Although I suppose it worked with the narrative because it's supposed to be somewhat unclear throughout most of the film whether they are truly a threat. Hopefully here we'll get to see them a bit more since the end of the previous film made it clear that humans are the true monsters.

Ah, thanks mods for merging the threads.

Is the trailer for this playing with Godzilla? It would make sense, since Edwards did the original and Godzilla just came out.

I thought the first one was extremely dull. Hope this one is better....

I'm getting a District 9-meets-Starship Troopers-meets-The Hurt Locker-meets-8 Mile vibe from this trailer. The more I watch it, the more enthralled I get.

New trailer! This looks awesome!

[YT]YjVvJeaHBLE[/YT]

Wow wasn't expecting this to look THAT good. Loved the first.

Yeah, looks intense. I know next to nothing about the new director and the cast, but this looks fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"