More postring from Bush and Crew...

The Evolutionist

Superhero
Reaction score
BBC said:
US 'wants Palestinian state now'
The US secretary of state has said it is time for a Palestinian state to be founded, and that the US will put its full weight behind such efforts.

Condoleezza Rice said reaching a two-state solution was a priority for her and US President George Bush.

Ms Rice was speaking from the West Bank, where she has been trying to get agreement for a peace summit in the US.

Meanwhile the Israeli PM has hinted he may consider giving up Palestinian districts in Jerusalem in a peace deal.

Ehud Olmert told parliament "legitimate questions" could be asked about the Israeli annexing of outlying Palestinian neighbourhoods in East Jerusalem following the 1967 war.

Palestinians want East Jerusalem as the capital of a future state of Palestine, and the issue is one of the most sensitive and intractable of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

'It is time'

"Frankly it is time for the establishment of a Palestinian state," Ms Rice told reporters in a news conference which she held with the Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas.

She said the US regarded a two-state solution "as absolutely essential for the future, not just of Palestinians and Israelis but also for the Middle East and indeed for American interests".

She said Mr Bush would make finding a resolution a top priority of his time in office, and that she would devote her "last ounce of energy" to the issue.

Ms Rice said she wanted agreement on the peace summit, set to be held in Annapolis, Maryland - but that it would have to be "a serious and substantive conference that will advance the cause of a Palestinian state.

"We frankly have better things to do than invite people to Annapolis for a photo op," said Ms Rice.

The Palestinians have warned that if no tightly-worded text is agreed on which to base talks, they will not attend. The Israelis say they do not believe an agreed text is necessary.

Despite Ms Rice's assertion that the current diplomacy represented "the most serious effort to end this conflict in many, many years", the BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Ramullah cautions that huge differences remain between the two sides.

Ms Rice will now meet other regional leaders. She will need to convince them, too, that a peace conference will be worth turning up for, says our correspondent.

Difficult negotiations

At the same news conference, Mr Abbas said Israeli and Palestinian negotiators were working together.

"We are working on a joint document with the Israeli side. The document will set out the basis of the solutions to the final status issues: Jerusalem, borders, settlements, refugees, security, water and bilateral relations," he said.

The Palestinians want detailed agreement and a timetable for the implementation of solutions to some of the key disputes, while the Israelis want a broader, more general document with no timetable. The disagreement has threatened to derail the conference entirely.

But on Monday, Mr Olmert appeared to suggest he might be open to compromise on one of the thorniest issues - the status of Jerusalem.

He questioned the logic of a decision to include Palestinian areas within the city's expanded boundaries after Israel captured them in the 1967 Middle East war.

"Was it necessary to annex the Shufat refugee camp, al-Sawahra, Walajeh and other villages and state that this is also Jerusalem?" Mr Olmert asked in a speech to the Knesset.

"I must admit, one can ask some legitimate questions on the issue," he told parliament.

Sure, now that they've decimated two different countries and threaten a third, why not set up a puppet government in yet another? Maybe they should have thought about this before destabilizing the region, making most of the world dislike us. Oh, and how about giving yourself a little more time in your regime? Oh, because now you'll start something that is impossible to finish in today's world, and then ***** when the next, almost undoubtedly democrat, president finally admits that it can't be done.

Never mind that we can't figure out how to ensure the poor in our own country get vital healthcare. Never mind the fact that we have men and women dying in deserts thousands of miles away from their families. Never mind the fact that we're in a major economic recession. Certainly never mind that we no longer have the right of habeas corpus. We're the good guys now!

we don't have habeus corpus? That's funny cause last year I was arrested in connection with an arson, and since they didn't have any evidence to press charges, I was let go...

under Habeus Corpus. :confused:

we don't have habeus corpus? That's funny cause last year I was arrested in connection with an arson, and since they didn't have any evidence to press charges, I was let go...

under Habeus Corpus. :confused:

They pushed an act through Congress last year that allows for President Bush to declare anyone an "enemy combatant" and withhold certain rights, including habeas corpus.

Okay, thanks for the link. If you watched anything other than Chris Matthews or Colbert, you would know that that doesn't suspend everyone's right to HC. Only if the President or another high-ranking military official declares them an enemy combatant, and the terms on that definition are limited.

(a) In General- The President is authorized to establish military commissions for the trial of alien unlawful enemy combatants engaged in hostilities against the United States for violations of the law of war and other offenses specifically made triable by military commission as provided in chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code, and chapter 47A of title 10, United States Code (as enacted by this Act).

Okay, thanks for the link. If you watched anything other than Chris Matthews or Colbert, you would know that that doesn't suspend everyone's right to HC. Only if the President or another high-ranking military official declares them an enemy combatant, and the terms on that definition are limited.

Back when I had cable, I watched every cable news channel equally, fox news included (I also dislike Chris Matthews in general). I understand that it does not instantly revoke habeas corpus, but it also places no restrictions on what an 'enemy combatant' is, which means that Bush could call virtually anyone an 'enemy combatant'.

(a) In General- The President is authorized to establish military commissions for the trial of alien unlawful enemy combatants engaged in hostilities against the United States for violations of the law of war and other offenses specifically made triable by military commission as provided in chapter 47 of title 10, United States Code, and chapter 47A of title 10, United States Code (as enacted by this Act).

I read through most of the law, and I don't remember seeing the phrase "alien enemy combatant" used anywhere in relation to habeas corpus.

This is off topic I know, but how did you make the link read as "Here ya go."??

when you make the vb tags, put an equal sign after the first time you put in url, and then the url to where you're linking, then close that tab, type what you want, and then put the second url tag in normally.

Bush is nearly as crafty as Lord Sidious.

---Morzan

Actually, creating a Palestinian state is a good thing. Too bad it took almost 7 years into his presidency to figure it out.

Actually, creating a Palestinian state is a good thing. Too bad it took almost 7 years into his presidency to figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, it is a move that needs to happen, but America is not a country that can accomplish it right now.

emperor_bush_dictator_quote.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"