Most Iconic Score for a CBM.....

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Mandon Knight, Oct 14, 2017.

1. dw4000 Registered

If you are asking what is the most iconic theme, then there is no point in anyone giving their opinion. It is just whatever most ppl can recognize, which is most likely Williams Superman theme.

Personally I think Zimmer and Junkies work on man of steel is the best of the genre. Interestingly, some of the less popular MCU films like thor dark world and iron man 3 have good tracks imo

2. jmc away for a while

I actually think in terms of overall scores Zimmers TDK trilogy wins hands down, mostly because it's got so many unique themes throughout. The scores from Superman 78, Batman 89 and Wonder Woman I feel are iconic mostly for the hero themes, not necessarily for the entire score, where as Zimmer brought multiple themes to each character in all the TDK films. Batman had that energetic percussion and string heavy theme, Joker had that screeching violin theme, Catwoman had that light, playful piano theme, Bane had that really raw, tribal chant theme, even Dent/Two Face had his own theme (albeit not as noticeable or distinct).

3. Elevator Man Registered

Aside from the the Superman March there's plenty of themes that resonate throughout Superman: The Movie, Superman's secondary theme, Lois Lane's theme, Lex Luthor's theme aka "March For The Villains", Krypton theme and Smallville theme. There's isn't anything iconic about TDKT scores aside from the Joker's screeching electric violin motif (for some reason) and Deshi Basara chant from TDKR, which is mostly due to it being featured in trailers prior to the film's release.

4. jmc away for a while

I'd argue that Batman's theme in TDK trilogy is just as iconic as as Elfman's. You play that theme and you instantly recognise what film it's from. Now, I will say the Elfman theme in more widely recognised, but Zimmers theme is not far behind. At the very least it's the superhero theme with the most recognition in the last 20 years.

5. Elevator Man Registered

Eh that's debatable.

6. LaughterLives Registered

I'd say Batman's Theme is the most iconic. It stayed relevant for so long that even most kids today recognize it. You could play the Superman theme for some kids and they'd have no idea where the hell it's from. That's how I'm seeing it anyway.

But ya, I think mojo's list was off but I was happy to Thor on there. I thought of his theme as highly underrated til' now. Also, I'm pretty shocked to see Conan the Barbarian considered a superhero movie. When did that happen?

My personal top 10 for "Superhero" movies is much different. Bt these are just my favorites not necessarily the most iconic:

Batman
    POTC(If they're throwing in Conan the Barbarian then why not?)
    Terminator 2
    Hulk '03
    Robocop
    Hook
    Batman Begins
    Thor
    Judge Dredd(The Most Underrated of anything ever)
    The Crow

Hm: Watchmen(Dr. MAnhattan's them specifically), Superman, Spider-Man, The Dark Knight Returns, X-Men First Class.

7. Brother Jack The Penitent Man

It might depend on which theme you're talking about. The theme in "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" is probably the most iconic, and the one that appears the most throughout TDKT, but Zimmer and Howard's approach was to give Batman a litany of motifs rather than a singe unifying one. So you have the wing flap sound, the two-note horn call, the Elfman-esque bass line that appears a few times, among others.

8. The Endless WE are Groot

Williams' Superman and Elfman's Batman and Spider-Man themes are the most iconic and memorable for me. Even to this day people would recognise them instantly.

Zimmers work on TDKT has some great stuff. Particularly in Begins. And of course Jokers theme.

And Silvestri's Avengers theme is a memorable classic sounding piece of work.

That is pretty much it.

My personal favourite is this. It's just THE Batman theme.

[Yt]OOwUwzNWYK4[/MEDIA]

#33 The Endless, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  9. Elevator Man Registered

As for the so called theme for DCEU’s Wonder Woman. I don’t know why it’s being hailed by many as iconic. It isn’t a theme or barely even a motif but mostly a rhythmic piece of music without much nuance. I don’t believe it fully depicts Wonder Woman as a character either, but only her mighty Amazon side. The motif is lacking when it comes to Diana’s more compassionate/emotional side. It just doesn't define Wonder Woman musically, imo.

10. Skrilla31 Registered

Agreed 100%. It sounds like something that would be better for a Halo movie. Completely lacking in 'wonder' and majesty.

I'm also not a fan of the Hans Zimmer's Batman score. That main theme is laughably bad to me, but to each his or her own I suppose.

11. jmc away for a while

But if we are talking iconic it's hard to argue the theme isn't instantly recognisable as being associated with her. Whether or not it's actually a good piece of music is not really the point (I don't like it personally), but when you here it you know where it's from. It's not dissimilar to the Superman 78 and Batman 89 themes.

12. First Avenger Registered

Williams' Superman
    Elfman's Batman and Spider-Man
    Zimmer's Batman

Ottman's X-Men and Silvestri's Avengers themes are pretty good too.

I also really like the music in Thor movies.

#37 First Avenger, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  13. The Endless WE are Groot

Patrick Doyle's work on the first Thor is really good, yea. One of the better Marvel scores.

I know it's not cbm related but talking about Zimmer... am I alone in thinking his work on Sherlock Holmes is some of his best ever? For me it's better than any of his cbm stuff.

14. Limonade Registered

Henry Jackman's Captain America: The Winter Soldier Main Theme

Followed closely by Silvestri's The Avengers Theme.

#39 Limonade, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  15. Spider-Aziz Vegeta Pose Toshi

Composer worked for Captain America music, Superman had the legendary John Williams.

16. wobbly Occasional Scribbler

Williams Superman.

Others have challenged but that (for me) remains the undefeated champ.

17. First Avenger Registered

Had a brain fart.

18. LaughterLives Registered

You might be. I don't hear/read anybody ever mention it. I myself think Zimmer's work on The Last Samurai, Gladiator, The Thin Red Line and True Romance still hasn't been topped by any of his CBM work. But that's me.

19. The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

My favorite is easily BvS.

20. Boom I got nothin'

Elfman's Batman
    Williams' Superman

BoredGuy likes this.
  21. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

What I think are the most iconic themes:

Superman
    Batman '89
    Spider-Man
    X2
    Batman Begins
    TDK (Joker theme)
    Avengers
    TDKR (Bane theme)
    MOS
    WW

As for my favorite scores:

Thor
    Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2
    Batman Begins
    TDK
    TDKR
    Avengers
    MOS
    BvS
    WW

22. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

Little vid on Elfman's relationship with Burton on the Batman theme and score...

#47 Mandon Knight, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
  23. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

As a theme, this rocks big time.

The_Manhunter and frankgutz like this.
  24. Greens I am Danny DeVito

His Sherlock Holmes music is great. It's always one of the highlights when he performs it live.

25. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

These two, imo, are miles above anything else when it comes to iconic scores
    there are other CBM scores that are maybe better for creating ambience and suiting the tone, but these two themes are just so damn perfect

below that, (quite a bit below) I'd put the Avengers theme and X2 (And Avengers only really hit that level after persistence, it is now iconic but in Avengers 1 it was like, "eh okay")
    but nothing comes close to touching those two classics