Most Iconic Score for a CBM.....

40 years later Williams' Superman score still sets the standard - I love Summer's work on TDK and Man of Steel, but nothing comes close to Superman.

Iconic is a word that is overused and a score needs to be around for a while ( as in its memorable as well as popular and becomes part of the cultual consciousness)- I feel like the Avengers theme will become iconic in time, but other than Williams' Superman no other Superhero music has got to truly "iconic" status just yet IMO.

Sadly, the one thing that Captain America lacks is a real theme of his own - his music is a little too generic for me, GOTG at least have a recognisable theme of their own.

Sadly, the one thing that Captain America lacks is a real theme of his own - his music is a little too generic for me, GOTG at least have a recognisable theme of their own.

The theme from the First Avenger was pretty solid and a good base that they could've worked from
I wished they had incorporated that more, but outside of the first film and then his first moment on camera in Avengers, I don't think we ever heard it again

Yeah I'd have to say Superman is still the bar. Of the films released since 2000 (not counting rehashed themes in Superman Returns), the Avengers theme is the most recognizable, and while it doesn't reach the levels the Williams' Superman theme did, it's easily the most recognizable of the modern day films.

Yeah I absolutely love that Elfman theme
but I know he's not everybody's cup of tea, his themes are definitely a bit gothic, which only really works for Batman.... his Spidey theme was less successful

I'd say Batman/Batman Returns, I freaking LOVE Catwoman's theme (B-Man's too). Elfman's music has so much emotion to it, I love it. I'm surprised some people don't like his music.

Side note: The Raimi movies and The original Superman movies have great music too.

I've discussed this in multiple threads but I'm of the opinion it's the Williams soundtrack and then everything else with Ellfman's Batman as maybe a distant second. I always thought iconic means easily recognizable and ingrained in pop culture. Like when you hear the Imperial March at a baseball game.

I've discussed this in multiple threads but I'm of the opinion it's the Williams soundtrack and then everything else with Ellfman's Batman as maybe a distant second. I always thought iconic means easily recognizable and ingrained in pop culture. Like when you hear the Imperial March at a baseball game.

Totally agree. :applaud See how often the Superman theme has appeared outside of the movie, in other contexts ( e.g. Smallville, Seinfeld, The Big Bang Theory ).

I feel like the word "iconic" gets thrown around a lot these days, and should relate to things that have transcended their own original contexts and are a recognisable part of popular culture - I don't think that many superhero themes are there or ever will be. As much as I love Elfman's Batman theme how many non cbms fans are going to recognise it ? The Williams Superman theme might be one of the very few that can truly be called iconic, because even people who aren't cbms fans will recognise it.

Totally agree. :applaud See how often the Superman theme has appeared outside of the movie, in other contexts ( e.g. Smallville, Seinfeld, The Big Bang Theory ).

I feel like the word "iconic" gets thrown around a lot these days, and should relate to things that have transcended their own original contexts and are a recognisable part of popular culture - I don't think that many superhero themes are there or ever will be. As much as I love Elfman's Batman theme how many non cbms fans are going to recognise it ? The Williams Superman theme might be one of the very few that can truly be called iconic, because even people who aren't cbms fans will recognise it.

It's interesting to see comments on things like these from other places. I grew up in the 80s so I saw a lot of Superman and the theme is iconic for me, but I don't think hardly anyone would manage to say where it's from if you played it to people in the street here. I haven't heard it used here in a long time either.

I do however actually hear several superhero film scores used in various productions quite frequently. The main theme of Thor: The Dark World is one of the most used, but like the others it's for the music itself and not for connection to the film it's from. I wouldn't say that I expect people on the streets to know where these scores are from either, but I guess the conclusion of my thoughts on that is that I don't think most people bother to learn where many film scores are from. They are better at things they hear often, like intros to popular TV shows as those are repeated a lot of times during the course of a show. Repetition is key.

Personally it's hard to say that anything in the genre is more iconic than the original Superman theme on the fact that it's been around for so much longer than anything else alone. It's a great theme as well. Reading this thread I'm reminded of that I actually don't really like any main theme that's been made for Batman, despite him having had so many films.

The theme from the First Avenger was pretty solid and a good base that they could've worked from
I wished they had incorporated that more, but outside of the first film and then his first moment on camera in Avengers, I don't think we ever heard it again
We heard a little bit of it in TWS and if I'm not mistaken, there was a hint of it in AOU. I have a feeling we'll hear it again in Endgame when we see Cap in his classic outfit again since Silvestri is also scoring it.

It's interesting to see comments on things like these from other places. I grew up in the 80s so I saw a lot of Superman and the theme is iconic for me, but I don't think hardly anyone would manage to say where it's from if you played it to people in the street here. I haven't heard it used here in a long time either.

I do however actually hear several superhero film scores used in various productions quite frequently. The main theme of Thor: The Dark World is one of the most used, but like the others it's for the music itself and not for connection to the film it's from. I wouldn't say that I expect people on the streets to know where these scores are from either, but I guess the conclusion of my thoughts on that is that I don't think most people bother to learn where many film scores are from. They are better at things they hear often, like intros to popular TV shows as those are repeated a lot of times during the course of a show. Repetition is key.

Personally it's hard to say that anything in the genre is more iconic than the original Superman theme on the fact that it's been around for so much longer than anything else alone. It's a great theme as well. Reading this thread I'm reminded of that I actually don't really like any main theme that's been made for Batman, despite him having had so many films.

I've told this story before about doing a Movie Score Trivia on a Cruise ship. A lot of people thought the Superman theme was the Star wars theme. Granted they are both Williams, but in hindsight it has to do with the average person but still think there is no more iconic score than this one.

Love Kick Ass and love this theme and scene it over-plays.....

I’ve pointed this out before, but no other superhero soundtrack is such an intrinsic part of a character than the Superman theme. It’s as much a part of him as the cape and the s shield. That’s a testament to how perfect a theme tune it is.

I've told this story before about doing a Movie Score Trivia on a Cruise ship. A lot of people thought the Superman theme was the Star wars theme. Granted they are both Williams, but in hindsight it has to do with the average person but still think there is no more iconic score than this one.

A 'test' has always been, try and Segway between starting with SW, then Superman, then onto Indiana Jones, it's really hard to do to skip between them when humming them to yourself, nothing against Williams, all 3 are film magic but they 'share' embryonic material, obviously.

I’ve pointed this out before, but no other superhero soundtrack is such an intrinsic part of a character than the Superman theme. It’s as much a part of him as the cape and the s shield. That’s a testament to how perfect a theme tune it is.

This might sound like sacrilege, but I don't agree that the Williams theme is a perfect representation of Superman.

It's a fantastic theme of course, there's no denying that. It certainly captures the optimism and the magnificence of Superman, but I don't think it succeeds as much in capturing the fever and excitement. It's just a bit too slow in my opinion. For reference compare it to the theme from the Fleischer cartoons and the 90's animated series. They aren't nearly as good or as iconic, but they're way more booming and upbeat. I much prefer that approach. I need something that evokes images of Superman soaring the skies at break neck speed. Hans Zimmer achieved this quite well with MOS but unfortunately I felt his score lacked the majesty of Williams's.

Now the Elfman theme for Batman... for me THAT is a perfect representation of Batman that captures everything. It's dark and mysterious but also heroic and grandiose. When those marching drums kick in you can't help but feel your adrenaline spike. That's why for me it's all time greatest.

and you were wrong.

This might sound like sacrilege, but I don't agree that the Williams theme is a perfect representation of Superman.

It's a fantastic theme of course, there's no denying that. It certainly captures the optimism and the magnificence of Superman, but I don't think it succeeds as much in capturing the fever and excitement. It's just a bit too slow in my opinion. For reference compare it to the theme from the Fleischer cartoons and the 90's animated series. They aren't nearly as good or as iconic, but they're way more booming and upbeat. I much prefer that approach. I need something that evokes images of Superman soaring the skies at break neck speed. Hans Zimmer achieved this quite well with MOS but unfortunately I felt his score lacked the majesty of Williams's.

Now the Elfman theme for Batman... for me THAT is a perfect representation of Batman that captures everything. It's dark and mysterious but also heroic and grandiose. When those marching drums kick in you can't help but feel your adrenaline spike. That's why for me it's all time greatest.

For me, Williams' theme is the definitive CBM theme, it encapsulates all that is defined and required of a theme in it's hope, build and presentation of a hero in order to be a hero. It is, like the film itself, the template from which all take their thanks and we wouldn't be where we are today without them.

There's Williams' Superman and then there's everything else.

I don't know why Silvestri's Avengers Theme is so underrated here. I dare to say that in 40 or 50 years it will be the most iconic CBM theme song ever.

About John William's Superman, I might be hated for saying this but I don't know why it doesn't do anything for me. I was born a long time after Superman 1978 and I haven't even seen the movie. I listen to the score and while it's good, it doesn't really strike me as a pure genius work from the old time, unlike Star Wars, Indiana Jones or BTTF themes: those ones really blew my mind when I first listen to them.

The Avengers have had 4 movies and it’s already being used at some sports stadiums. It has a good chance of entering general peoples lives.

I think a theme needs to be repeated often enough for it to become iconic. Otherwise it's just either catchy or suitable for that movie, but hasn't necessarily become iconic. That means playing it in more than one movie so that it becomes associated with that character, and not changing the theme every movie. Marvel movies have a tendency to change their themes too often.

Avengers and Ant-Man are probably the most iconic of their scores because you hear them more often. Captain America: The First Avenger could get there too. The other ones are much less so. The first Iron Man theme could've had the potential to become iconic, but it has never been used again.

I wouldn't call the Winter Soldier theme iconic at all.

Of the DC movies, I'd say Superman by John Williams, Elfman's Batman theme and the Zimmer/ Guo Wonder Woman theme. In fact, as soon as WW's theme began playing in BvS, it owned it, as if making a bold declaration that it had always been there and was the song you knew in your head but hadn't heard up until that point.

I don't know why Silvestri's Avengers Theme is so underrated here. I dare to say that in 40 or 50 years it will be the most iconic CBM theme song ever.

About John William's Superman, I might be hated for saying this but I don't know why it doesn't do anything for me. I was born a long time after Superman 1978 and I haven't even seen the movie. I listen to the score and while it's good, it doesn't really strike me as a pure genius work from the old time, unlike Star Wars, Indiana Jones or BTTF themes: those ones really blew my mind when I first listen to them.

You need to get on with seeing Superman 1978 immediately. :super:

I love the Avengers theme, and actually I love most of the MCU sound tracks. The only one that I don't love all that much is IM2's sound track, I love the first IM sound track.

The thing about Williams score whether you like it or not, it's instantaneously recognizable. I'm not a fan of everything Williams composed, and Williams will be the first to admit that many of his scores are motifs stolen from classical composers, but all his music has a certain signature to it.

For years I would've said Williams Superman, or Danny Elfman's Batman themes were by far the most Iconic

But that damn Avengers theme has not left my head since I saw the movie... maybe it's just the "new movie high"... but they have fully ingrained that song in the minds of hundreds of millions of people. I'd say it's pretty iconic by now

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"