Most underrated MCU film?

I'd say out of the MCU movies that are generally well liked, I'd go with the usual suspects Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, although the latter seems to have gotten more love over the years. Maybe also Doctor Strange.

As for MCU movies that weren't so well received, I feel like Eternals gets more hate than it deserves.

I'd say Far From Home.

While the first act was slow, Mysterio's illusions are top notch.

Yet FFH is usually ranked in people's bottom 10 mcu films.
FFH is a weird one. It was liked by critics and clearly audiences since it hit a billion but it seems to be the Spider-Man movie that's least talked about, even moreso than the Garfield movies. People enjoyed it and it does have a lot going for it, namely Mysterio, but it just doesn't feel much like a Spider-Man movie. Sometimes taking a hero out of their home city for the whole movie isn't the best choice.

Thor: The Dark World,

People criticize it because of generic villain, but it's really good comic book movie, I love the whole dynamic between Thor, Loki, Friga and Odin, and the way Odin tries to hide his affection for Loki by teasing him with the "birthright" dialogue, I like the love triangle with Sif, shame it didn't get anywhere.

The music is great, Frigga's funeral is one of the best sequences in the MCU, the ending with smirking Loki is fire.

Definitely Eternals. It's not entirely successful in what it tries to do, but I like the attempt at a more artistic MCU film that still maintains all the expected qualities of a blockbuster superhero movie. It has my favorite visuals from any MCU film, it's beautifully shot and the special effects are excellent. The sense of scale that the Celestials bring is very exciting and the whole effect is well executed. Great cast too, even if there are a few characters too many. It's a cool film.

Probably First Avenger. It's still one of my favorites with Phase 1 being my favorite overall, even though the way the film gets Cap in the water is a bit ridiculous. But it has a lot of charm and really evokes the feeling of being in 1940s America during World War II. But I can see how it's overlooked or maybe underappreciated because once Cap is in present-day, there's really no need to revisit it. Also, when Captain America: The Winter Soldier exists, you have no reason to ever watch First Avenger since it's not even required.

People criticize it because of generic villain, but it's really good comic book movie, I love the whole dynamic between Thor, Loki, Friga and Odin, and the way Odin tries to hide his affection for Loki by teasing him with the "birthright" dialogue, I like the love triangle with Sif, shame it didn't get anywhere.

The music is great, Frigga's funeral is one of the best sequences in the MCU, the ending with smirking Loki is fire.

Completely agree with this.

And I may add that The Dark World had the best theme in any of MCU entries.

IMO, the theme that Brian Tyler composed was epic and it really fits and suits Thor and his world better rather than the using of metal and rock songs in later installments.

And it had one of the best opening as well

Last edited:
Maybe it's me but I think time has been a little kinder to The Dark World in the 10 years since its release. Even back then it wasn't met with the same sort of disdain that Eternals or Quantumania would get years later. Personally I really enjoyed it on first viewing but I was also still on a high from The Avengers the previous year so I was hungry for everything Marvel at the time. On repeat viewings the flaws became more visible but I still think it works as a movie.

That's one reason, yes, but I thought more people criticized Dark World because they found it boring.

Yeah maybe I'll have to do a rewatch of The Dark World sometime. Because while the villain was a black hole in that movie, my main takeaway at the time was that it was just a dull film.

Pre Endgame: Cap1

Post Endgame: Eternals (I have a feeling people’s views on this one will change in time like they did with the initially panned pre Endgame films)

I know a lot of people cite "The Dark World" as the worst "Thor" movie, but I actually think it was a worthy follow-up. The tone was mostly consistent, and the main plot point of Jane getting infected by the Aether was fairly shocking for the franchise's early history. Malekith was a little one-dimensional to me (pardon the pun), but most of the action sequences were pretty good. If the first film is an 8 out of 10, the second is probably a 7.

The Dark World was really cringe when it came out.

But production value wise, its much better than a lot of recent mcu films.

For me definitely would be Thor 2011 and Captain America First Avenger 2011

Infinity War is infinitely better than Endgame. Idk why no one talks about it nearly as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"