Mother of Dragons: Daenerys Targaryen

I briefly mentioned this in the favorite characters thread, but Dany went way up in my view in the last couple of seasons. I found her rather dull at the beginning of the series and found her sections far less interesting than what was going on in Westeros. By this season I thought she was by far the most intriguing and entertaining part.

Dany was always my second favorite character, right after Tyrion. And I did not mind her becoming the Mad Queen...I was bothered about how they showed her becoming the Mad Queen. Dany had always been willing to do what she needed to do to achieve her goals. She could be cruel given the right set of circumstances. But what she did not really do was harm those she saw as innocents.

Now, I think there is an argument to be made she could view every citizen in King's Landing, bad place maybe even Westeros, as being complicit in the evil in the world. But I do not think that argument got made. Instead, she just seemed to snap. And that seemed very much out of character for her, something that needed to happen for the purpose of getting the show done in six episodes rather than a natural development that made sense.

Of course, milage varies.

Dany did explain that by not turning against Cersei the people of King's Landing were supporting her by association and thus her enemies. A view that she became more convinced of given the lack of love she got from Westeros in general, including allies like the North. She also said that if she couldn't rule through love, she'd rule through fear and destroying King's Landing would send a strong message to the rest of Westeros about what happens to those that don't unconditionally support her.

Reactions: Bim
Be why I wrote "milage varies."

I get it. There are things there. But, for me, there is enough there to perhaps justify her having all the soldiers killed...but children? For me, they did not take their reasoning far enough to really support the turn they wanted that character to make.

For me, she went from a sometimes cruel leader with reasoning that one could at least understand to full Stalin mode in too short a time.

I needed something in between. After (justifiably IMO) offing the Tarlys, I wanted her to take the next step and do something worse. For eg the next time she gets a Tarly situation, they actually do bend the knee and she has them burnt anyway as an example or for some such reason. That would have been progression in my book towards what we got. A few things like that.

Character really ought to have had better writing than she got in the end.

I needed something in between. After (justifiably IMO) offing the Tarlys, I wanted her to take the next step and do something worse. For eg the next time she gets a Tarly situation, they actually do bend the knee and she has them burnt anyway as an example or for some such reason. That would have been progression in my book towards what we got. A few things like that.

Agree, they needed more steps in between.

Character really ought to have had better writing than she got in the end.
Speaking of which, can you believe those jokers at HBO have the audacity to submit their writing for season 8 for an Emmy. I couldn't stop laughing when finding this out.

Speaking of which, can you believe those jokers at HBO have the audacity to submit their writing for season 8 for an Emmy. I couldn't stop laughing when finding this out.
You will stop laughing when they win. Such is the nature of the Hollywood award shows these days.
Same could be said for a lot of "honors" programs inside of various industry's or organizations these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"