Motorstorm 2 Watch: Making the game Motorstorm should have been

Zenien

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone, I hope you all enjoyed the holidays, I know I did!

The majority of us are now all back in the office, slugging away to make our next game the best we've ever done, so all you lucky people can enjoy the very best that our future games will have to offer! And on that note, I'd like to have a quick chat about what I'm currently working on for the sequel to MotorStorm: the GUI (Graphical User Interface). We've been working on the design of the GUI for several months, taking what we did for MotorStorm and throwing it out the window, completely starting from scratch.

We've approached the design of the GUI from a fresh angle and I think we've come up with something pretty impressive, both functionally and artistically. At the moment we have a solid design and a basic, functional GUI comprised of placeholder art and text, nothing to write home about! However, we are just about to get started on implementing the incredible art that the Graphic Design team has come up with so we can start getting a real sense of how the GUI will finally work, both visually and functionally. Unfortunately I can't go into any more detail than that at the moment, but I'll be writing more on this as we move further along in development.

Ryan

http://www.evos.net/blog/2008/1/3/designing-the-gui.aspx

cool, I really like Motorstorm, the single player is deep and the commitment to downloadable add ons has been a nice addition considering the game is 10 months old, can't wait to see what's in store for the sequel which better have split screen

Bar split screen, Motorstorm was the game it was meant to be.

Well, I really feel that they needed to include a better form of single player. THe Raw gameplay was great, pure class, but the infastructure around it, from the annoying menu to the slack online lobby system to the 30 second car loads, all kind of sucked. I hope they throw out everything except the raw gameplay and car balance fundamentals. Totally rework how you play single player and online.

True that, I loved how all the different cars felt, but I could never get a good handle on the bikes. I'd just end up zigzagging every once in a while.

True that, I loved how all the different cars felt, but I could never get a good handle on the bikes. I'd just end up zigzagging every once in a while.

Ya, I went with Bikes for a bit when I started out and skipped right over single player, needless to say I messed up my death ratio early on lol. I've been lowering it since, and have been using Racing Trucks mainly.

What I hate are the night tracks, going at those speeds in near pitch black. Even worse is when someone else takes over setting up the tracks and puts it on a 5 lap night course.

Well, I really feel that they needed to include a better form of single player. THe Raw gameplay was great, pure class, but the infastructure around it, from the annoying menu to the slack online lobby system to the 30 second car loads, all kind of sucked. I hope they throw out everything except the raw gameplay and car balance fundamentals. Totally rework how you play single player and online.

The loading does surprise you at first. Once in game it's very smooth, but if they have 3d vehicle selection up it takes a bit to load in, then the actual loading of the map in online takes forever. Tack on trying to find a race that isn't currently going or waiting for them to finish, then waiting 2-3 mins after the race until the next one starts, and you end up doing a lot of waiting for a race that seems to go by very fast.

Motorstorm is a fun game tho, and I hope they fix some of the loading times in 2.

In an article entitled "PlayStation bounces back" BBC's editor of their online Technology news index, Darren Waters, reveals why he considers the PS3 to be back on track. Waters has been shown a few exciting projects behind closed doors, including a gameplay demo of Motorstorm 2. No longer set in a desert, the game will feature a "lush island environment, full of interactive vegetation." Not only that, but in response to numerous criticisms leveled at the original Motorstorm, the sequel will have four-player split screen. The game is due out in time for Christmas this year.

the AI really needs to change from trying to stop you winning, to each AI trying to win for itself. one track really pissed me off because you just couldn't reliably avoid the second place guy either smacking you off line messing up his own position aswell or getting in front of you and slowing down to force you to the back of the pack letting all the other AIs past him.

No desert!? WTF! Put the desert back in now!

Apparently, there will be a mindblowing trailer on IGN today (Wed 12 March), at 6pm GMT.

Also, the new jungle island tracks will feature destructible scenery and water hazards.

and monster trucks have been added as playable vehicles

The trailer's only going to be CG, no gameplay.

well they came pretty close to the last CG video with the original game, so no bother to me

looks fun, I love the last one and added multiplayer offline will be great. I hope DLC for the first game continues until this winter

MotorStorm™ returns this autumn on PLAYSTATION®3: Prepare for the next instalment of the world’s most brutal off-road racing festival

o A brand new location: experience the grandeur, diversity and unpredictability of a remote Pacific island
o 16 new diverse multi-route tracks hosting MotorStorm’s unique mixture of vehicles
o The aggressive monster truck now joins your garage
o Split-Screen Multiplayer racing – compete with up to four buddies on the same screen

It’s the best selling PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) title to date and now, it’s time to take to the starting grid again as the MotorStorm™ festival heads to the tropics.

The first MotorStorm wowed critics and gamers alike with its heady formula of brutal, unpredictable off-road racing, festival vibes and stunning Monument Valley desert scenery. This new outing takes you to a solitary tropical paradise in the Pacific Ocean, ready for a whole new take on no-holds-barred racing action through thick swamps, dense jungle, towering peaks and steaming volcanoes.

Not just pretty backdrops to the action, these environments take centre stage in challenging players with everything in Mother Nature’s arsenal. Thick mud, tangled undergrowth, swift flowing rivers, choking volcanic clouds and searing lava pools all test the drivers to their limits and beyond.

Using the power of PLAYSTATION®Network, 16 players can race head-to-head online and, for the first time in the series, racers can hit the gas in four-player split-screen mode.

All of the vehicle classes from the first MotorStorm are here again: ATVs, rally cars, buggies, motorbikes, race trucks, mudpluggers and Big Rigs – as well as the newly arrived monster trucks that climb, sprint and roll over any other vehicle in their way.
Delivered to you on Blu-ray Disc, expect a rich festival of off road racing, along with a host of game modes and rewards. It’s brutal, dangerous, relentless, and unpredictable and more than a game - MotorStorm is way of life so stay tuned, the festival is back this autumn and promises to be larger than ever before.

I can't wait!

i don't care if it's prerendered...that trailer got me pumped. maybe it was the music, hehe. seriously though, even though Motorstorm 1 had it's flaws, it's still a fun frikkin' game and i can't wait for this one. especially the volcanic, lava tracks! that's gonna be sick.

I actually whooped at that. It was incredible.

I hope the loading times are alot better than the original

You'd be a fool not to.

It looks sweet. Can't wait to see any water or beach effects. The destructible scenery could be something special.

i hope they add replays. there were so many runs i had that were action packed and i wasn't able to replay any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"