Movie properties you thought would never succeed but did

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
Over the years, what properties did you hear about them bringing to the screen that you said, "what the **** are they smoking? This **** will never fly," and it turns out to be one of the most successful of all time? I think the best example is the entire POTC franchise. When I heard about it back in like 2002 I was like, no they are not going to make a movie based on a goddamn ride at Disneyland...that's the Mouse House for you. But then they announced the cast, and announced the writers, who had written some of the better Disney animated flicks in the past, and then I saw the movie. So it shut me up to that extent. I think the franchises we say that don't need to be brought to the screen, sometimes they score.

Wanted... i knew it was gonna be good, i just thought no one would watch it.
guess that superbowl spot came in handy

A lot of estrogen-targeted movies. The Devil Wears Prada and Sex & the City are the two that come to mind. Prada was a really great movie. Streep didn't just stand out in the movie, but that performance stands out in her filmography as something really different and unique.

I thought Transformers was going to be absolutely stupid, but I loved it, and apparently a lot of other people did as well.

I thought Transformers was going to be absolutely stupid, but I loved it, and apparently a lot of other people did as well.
Seconded. I thought Michael Bay would completely ruin it by making it take itself too seriously, and the opposite happened.

i never thought Resident Evil would've spawned a trilogy, but low and behold it did. i'm not saying that they were successful movies but i didn't think they'd even make a sequel...let alone a trilogy.

Freddy Vs. Jason did better than I expected it ever would.
X-Men 1-3 , I didn't expect them to do as well as they did, they could have done lots better but I don't see them as complete failures.

Wayne's World 2

Movies based on SNL-sketches suck donkey balls on a good day. Even the good ones lose their novelty within the first half hour. But somehow, in defiance of God's will, this lasted two whole movies AND WAS STILL FANTASTIC!!

the fast and the furious movies...i thought they looked stupid as hell...but i did enjoy the 1st one...and now they are making a #4....i am surprised hahaha

also twilight...it just looks dumb to me...but i am in my 20's and a male...so go figure

PAUL BLART!!!!!!!!!! this looks like the biggest pile of steaming crap ever...yet they have greenlit a sequel and its made over $100 million so far....i am speechless

I would say Blade, who knew he would have enough to carry 3 movies.

Wayne's World 2

Movies based on SNL-sketches suck donkey balls on a good day. Even the good ones lose their novelty within the first half hour. But somehow, in defiance of God's will, this lasted two whole movies AND WAS STILL FANTASTIC!!

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOY?

:hehe::hehe::hehe:

I would say Blade, who knew he would have enough to carry 3 movies.
Yeah, I was amazed with the first one. At first sight, it follows the pattern of most of the mediocre-to-sucktastic superhero movies of the '90s (re: little-known tertiary character, ignored source material, vehicle for star, etc.) But planets aligned and stuff to give the movie a cool script, a great look, a dedicated and enthusiastic first-time director, and Stephen Dorff. Bravo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"