Movies you think are objectively great, but you really don't like?

TheFlamingCoco

Avenger
Reaction score
Ingmar Bergman's Persona comes to mind. No doubt that it's well shot, acted, thought out, and effective, but it all comes down to a person experiencing someone manipulate her by not speaking-with the occasionally trippy sequence or snuff imagery to mix it all up.

I wouldn't accuse it of being shallow or unimportant, but I would say its status as a "great movie" overshadows its viewing experience, if that makes any sense.

It's depressing, but it lacks an emotional catharsis. So it feels like looking out the window during a rainy day. Just kind of dull and mysteriously bleak-rather than having satisfying character motivations.

Maybe I should have posted to the UnpopularOpinion thread, but I think this could deserve its own thread.

I think CITIZEN KANE is great, but I never feel the urge to watch it again.

There's only so much deep focus a man can take!!:woot:

I think CITIZEN KANE is great, but I never feel the urge to watch it again.

There's only so much deep focus a man can take!!:woot:

I second Citizen Kane. Great movie, maybe, but once is enough.

I'd pretty much put all of Stanley Kubrick's movies in this category: 2001, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut. All great movies, beautiful to look at, but...I don't know, dont have any desire to see them again.

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Medieval fantasy bores me. But on a production level those films are pretty much the top of the line for blockbusters.

It Happened One Night. With a few exceptions, I just dislike romantic films, I'm not sure why.

Ditto, Brief Encounter.

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Medieval fantasy bores me. But on a production level those films are pretty much the top of the line for blockbusters.

They didn't do justice to the books. See how they will stand 20-30 years from now -- I guarantee they won't. Contrast that with a truly great movie trilogy like Star Wars, which people will be watching 50 years from now and still liking.

Blade Runner
Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
The Revanant
Inglorious Basterds
Interstellar

They didn't do justice to the books. See how they will stand 20-30 years from now -- I guarantee they won't. Contrast that with a truly great movie trilogy like Star Wars, which people will be watching 50 years from now and still liking.
Star Wars and Lord of the Rings share many interesting similarities.

Both resonnated strongly at their time of release with the second generally considered the strongest and the third somewhat dissapointing. Both followed some time later with an overblown, underwhelming prequel trilogy.

I believe LotR will continue to be watched unless a superior version emerges. Great characters, incredible story and world. But I could picture an transcendent run on Netflix for the Middle-Earth lore. An anthology season with episodes from Silmarillion, a nice 3 hour Hobbit film and a healthy three season series for LotR itself.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a film I utterly hate. I suppose it's technically well-put together, but it's just so incredibly cynical and morbid that I really don't get the appeal. For me the ending is so cynical that it becomes sort of melodramatic and loses it's emotional impact, at least for me.

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is pretty well-made, but I just can't get into it. Huge chucks of the movie bore the living daylights out of me, it feels like it's trying to mimic the dialog heavy scenes in LOTR, but the difference here is that nothing being said is interesting to me, so it just feels like a lot of walking around forests endlessly. Aside from that, several visuals that are intended to be dramatic strike me as unintentionally funny and sort of kill the moment.

The Jason Borne sequels. I recall enjoying all of them to some extent, but I remember nothing about them other than the first film. The sequels all sort of blur together into the same movie in my mind, despite the fact that they seemed to be well-made. I still haven't seen the newest one yet.

A good many historical and/or war movies I've seen are well-made, but a lot of them go in one ear and out the other, I can't even recall the titles of some of them. There are a lot I enjoy, but history isn't really my thing, and many of them tend to blur together, especially if it's pre-WW2.

pretty much any Kubrick films.They are just unpleasant to watch.

This Is Spinal Tap. I don't like mockumentaries anyway, but while I can see its virtues, I struggled to make it all the way through. Just not my thing.

You don't like This is Spinal Tap? You have no soul :o

Anyway, Requiem for a Dream is a great film but it's a really unpleaseant experience.

It might have been the mood I was in.

I hated Requiem too.

You don't like This is Spinal Tap? You have no soul :o

Anyway, Requiem for a Dream is a great film but it's a really unpleaseant experience.

Spinal Tap is kind of uneven movie, but it does have some brilliant moments.

There's just too many: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Citizen Kane, Godfather Part II, City of God, Braveheart, Amelie, Lawrence of Arabia, Raging Bull, Magnolia, Fargo, The Sixth Sense, There Will Be Blood... I can't name them all.

I'm honestly not sure if I think any movie is "objectively" anything, but that's probably a whole different conversation.

The only movie I can think of at the moment that I recognize as a well-made film but one that I don't ever care to watch again is Juno. Yawn.

I think Babe is very well-done and even enjoyable but just a little too cutesy-manipulative.

I don't know if there are films that I think are objectively great but I do think there are many films that I can understand why they are so beloved by so many people, yet I wouldn't like to see again.
The best example of this could be The Godfather films. I liked them when I saw both, I admire everything about them, I can understand why they might be considered the best... but I really don't want to explore that world again. There's something about gangster films that I just can't get into.
Same with Goodfellas...although after I saw that one a few years ago, I'm starting to feel like revisiting it.

Anyway, the movies I think are great are the ones I, personally, enjoy. I can't say the same for films that I don't quite like. I don't know if they're great, but I can understand why they are great for certain people.

Sure, sure.

I've no problem someone not liking the LOTR movies, but to think these movies won't stand the test of time in decades is asinine. Put your dislike aside and be better objective here.

I'm honestly not sure if I think any movie is "objectively" anything, but that's probably a whole different conversation.
This, more accurately in the context of qualifiers that are inherently subjective.
If I somehow thought a movie was objectively great, what sense does it make for me to not really like it?

Not that fun to watch:
Arrival
The Dark Knight trilogy
Logan
Any good James Bond film

Dated for me:
Superman
Superman Returns
Batman
Batman Returns

This, more accurately in the context of qualifiers that are inherently subjective.
If I somehow thought a movie was objectively great, what sense does it make for me to not really like it?

I think you can recognize the qualities of great art, and not be engaged by these qualities.

Georges_Seurat_-_Un_dimanche_après-midi_à_l%27Île_de_la_Grande_Jatte.jpg

^ This artwork is well done, but it does nothing to me emotionally.

Dog Day Afternoon. It was a good one time experience, but I doubt I'd ever rewatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"