Moving to a new state tips?

spiderman2

Superhero
Reaction score
So I have gotten sick of CA filling more and more sick of it ever day. I am looking to move out of CA and I kind of have my eye on St George Utah. I am just wondering does any one have any tips for moving to a new state? Tips for like finding apartment, job etc? Have any of you moved to a new state?

First recommendation is to check accommodation costs, you don't want to live in some expensive place, so no San Francisco.

Second; make sure the reputation is that it's full of friendly people, and has fewer shooting incidents.

Yeah those seem like simple and good things.

Once you are looking at a place, check with the local police to get crime statistics before you put money down. I would also suggest you have a good lead on jobs before the move. Since moving is a huge cost.

Once you are looking at a place, check with the local police to get crime statistics before you put money down. I would also suggest you have a good lead on jobs before the move. Since moving is a huge cost.

Yeah I am not going to move un till I have something and trying to find a job/ having a good lead on jobs is the big reason I want out of ca. It just seems impossible to find a job in ca.

Do you have a job or know anyone?

Sometimes the city's Chamber of Commerce has tips. I put in a request when I was looking to move to Phoenix and someone from that dept contacted me offering to help.

Relocating - St. George Area Chamber of Commerce

St. George crime stats CrimeReports.com

No I dont have a job set up there. I should have my AA degree finished by the end of the year. I have about 6 weeks left for what should be my final semester then I am going to start looking for jobs and apartments and such for that area. I do known a few people in Utah but not in that area of Utah. I dont really know what city's chamber of commerce is but I will take a look and book mark it thinks.

I looked at some more stuff for the area I am thinking about moving to compared to where I live right now in ca. Gas is like $1.20 more where I live and a gallon of milk I think was like $1 more. Real crazy thing is a ticket to go to the movies is only like $5.34 in the part of UTA I am looking at compared to like $10-$12 here.

related to the jobs thing, gotta check on median incomes in the area too

most of the time when you move to a cheaper area you also take a bit of a pay cut, so while things like gas and groceries are cheaper, your overall financial situation may not necessarily improve

related to the jobs thing, gotta check on median incomes in the area too

most of the time when you move to a cheaper area you also take a bit of a pay cut, so while things like gas and groceries are cheaper, your overall financial situation may not necessarily improve

Yeah I get that its not the same pay ever where so its not that simple. When I looked at the part of Utah I was looking at it seems like the cost of living is 37% lower but average median income is also like 26% lower or something. That still means on average you are paying less compared to what you make by a little bit though. Pulse right now I am working a minimum wage job in CA and felling like I am going no where. So if I could get to Utah maybe I could get a similar paying job if I get something that is not minimum wage there has there minimum wage there is much lower. Also the fact that something like going to the movies that you do for entertainment is lower is nice to. From what I could find rent prices seem kind of similar but ever thing else a lot lower. Stuff like sales tax, income tax etc seemed a little lower there to.

I've changed states a couple times and I always like to look at the demographics and stats before making a decision. I find it helpful to know the makeup of the area I'm considering. Also things like cost of living, walkability, restaurants and entertainment, if they have any sort of city planning initiatives that are interesting or benefit the community. As for general moving tips, I found quite a few good articles with some solid info on a moving website called A-1 Auto Transport. They had some helpful links to other resources that helped round out the picture.

Here's the best resource I've found online for general moving tips/advice https://threemenandatruck.net/tips-to-help-you-move/ It's pretty lengthy and covers a lot of bases. Sounds like a lot of people have grown tired of CA recently.

I can understand people wanting to leave because of cost. California, in general, is expensive; although there are some places where costs are quite a bit lower. I bought a home here years ago so that gives me a leg up WRT housing costs. I spoke with a guy at an IT conference who was from St Louis. He couldn't believe how much a home cost when I told him. He said he could buy a 3500 sq ft house on land for half of what I paid.

A few years later, I met someone from St Louis and spent some time there in August before she moved out here. If I had done that before the IT conference, I would have said "Yeah, but you still live in St Louis".

In general, I'd recommend to work up a plan. You and your uncle need to brainstorm about all the needs you will have when you get there. Divide your plan up into objectives to be met on a timeline.

I'm moving to Chicago in September. Wish me luck. Now searching for a van for transportation.

I'd suggest you hire a moving company better. I had an experience moving the house alone. Believe me a 'man with van' is not the best option. The expomovers article states several warnings about hiring unprofessional movers. I'd also add a broken TV and two-days moving to this list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"