My art: your chance to be brutal!

Riven

Superhero
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some of my stuff.

I don't have anything *good* lying around here (most of my decent work is up in my room in my dad's house, where I've got better equipment)... but I've been rummaging through some random pages full of doodles and sketches. Most of these were done during class, with a simple ballpoint pen or a pencil on really low quality paper, so don't judge me too harshly on that aspect. You can be totally honest about the drawings though. :)

TWO-FACE

twoface.jpg

THE JOKER

jokerjacket.jpg

A TOM WAITS-ISH TYPE CHARACTER

tomwaits.jpg

ELIJAH (SAMUEL L. JACKSON) FROM THE MOVIE "UNBREAKABLE"

mrglass.jpg

SOME RANDOM MONSTROUS LIMBS

monsterhands.jpg

These are very nice Riven!I especially love teh Joker. Are these your original designs?They look pretty distinct.Excellent and fluid line work!

Thank you very much! :) They're pretty much my own designs, yes. Of course, like anyone, I have influences, but I try not to emulate others much. Not that I'm that original... ;)

Thanks again! Anyone else wanna take a shot?

Cool, very TAS.

JLBats said:
Cool, very TAS.
Yeah, when I draw Batman characters, they usually end up looking like something based on TAS designs. Except Batman himself, oddly.

Here's some more...

THE PENGUIN

pengy01.jpg

pengy00.jpg

MAD SCIENTIST / MY REACTION TO A CLASS I WAS IN...

madscientist.jpg

RENFIELD (FROM THE FILM "BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA")

renfield.jpg

NOSFERATU

nosferatu.jpg

CESARE and DOKTOR CALIGARI

cesarecaligari.jpg

You're extremely talented: your line art is rich, fluid, refined and adds a strange aesthetic to the things that you draw.

In fact, the only thing I can recommend is that you use a scanner or a graphics program to clear the resolution of your pictures. I would be interested in seeing them in their full nature.

wow, riven, you have a very classic art. Reminds me of tim burton's animated stuff. You'd be good at ssomething like creepy-children's books.

I like the animated series influence in the batman stuff. Your penguin though, looks a lot like Penguin from Batman Returns.

I can't wait to see more.

Every single one of your drawings has the character looking to the left side of the screen.

I like. Very cartoony. I must ask this with every new artis: Would you please do either The Question, Blue Beetle, Huntress, or Powergirl? Thoes are my four favorite DC heroes.

The Question said:
I like. Very cartoony. I must ask this with every new artis: Would you please do either The Question, Blue Beetle, Huntress, or Powergirl? Thoes are my three favorite DC heroes.
I'll see what I can do! It might take me a while to get around to it, but I'll give it a try for ya.

kritic said:
Every single one of your drawings has the character looking to the left side of the screen.
I know. It's a subconscious thing. I don't understand it myself... when I pay attention to my drawing, I have no problem drawing people looking either way, but when I'm just sketching or doing character designs, I automatically draw them facing left... :confused:

Everyone else: THANKS!! :) Very nice replies.

Very nice work! Your style reminds me alot of Al Hirshfield. Have you ever seen his work? He draws the charactures of famous celebrities back in the day.

You have those broad, fluent lines of ink that resembles Hirshfields work. It's uncanny!

Nothing to be brutal about. Your style is really good. The only thing are you scanning these, or using a digital camera?

lionhart said:
Nothing to be brutal about. Your style is really good. The only thing are you scanning these, or using a digital camera?
Digital camera. My scanner is broken... :o

Comic Man said:
Very nice work! Your style reminds me alot of Al Hirshfield. Have you ever seen his work? He draws the charactures of famous celebrities back in the day.

You have those broad, fluent lines of ink that resembles Hirshfields work. It's uncanny!
I've checked it out... can't say I was familiar with his work. You definitely have a point though! Interesting...:up:

You definently have a style of your own. It looks good.

Riven,
Really nice line work... they echo that turn of the century feel of the early New York Post covers..

Great work!

I love the THE PENGUIN ones the best. Very good line work and loose feel to them they are fun.

this style is ridiculous . i freakin love it . it is a very distinct atr and you do it right.

Here's brutal:

You need to finish these. Put them on good paper or in the computer and finish these.

I would love to see a finished version of your style, since these bored-in-class sketches are this good.

I love your style, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"