My computer won't work!

Reaction score
My Dimension E521 won't work. When I turn on the power, the monitor stays blank (if I turn the monitor on, the screen's power light stays orange and never turns green like its suposed to when the computer's power is on), the optical mouse and keyboard's lights don't come on, and while the tower's light does come on and boot-up, the fan in the tower gets extremely loud. Originally, the fan was so quite, you couldn't hear it. Now it gets so loud, louder and louder, that I can hear it from outside the room. What could it be and what can I do?

Sounds like the fan has gone for sure and your confection board is malfunctioning, you'd best take that in to a repair shop as they'll need tot take it apart and find out exactly what parts are fried.

Like Hunter said take it to a shop. Sounds like the Motherboard, sometime when they fail it will leave the Fan in High Speed while booting. I'm guessing when it worked; the fan would "rev", then go quiet when booting.

When it boots up does it the light on the computer blink orange, stay solid orange or is it green?

blinking orange means power supply is bad
solid orange is bad motherboard
green is the normal color

Does the computer beep?

When it boots up does it the light on the computer blink orange, stay solid orange or is it green?

blinking orange means power supply is bad
solid orange is bad motherboard
green is the normal color

I'm back, so now I'll answer these questions.

The computer doesn't "beep", I turn it on, it powers up, and the fans whirl. Nothing else happens.

Also, rgarding the fan being extremely loud, I opened the case and cleant out all the dust. Afterwards, the fans went back to normal (I only found 2 fans, and both are working), so the fan noise is solved, but the computer still won't work properly.

And the light on the computer is a solid green. Only the light on the monitor is orange/yellow (not green) as if the monitor is working but the computer isn't on (even when the computer IS on).

If you are getting solid green on the PC when booting but no display, then for whatever reason your monitor is not receiving anything from the video adaptor.

Is the video built into the motherboard or is it a separate card. Either way, maybe getting a new video card may be the answer.

Remember, the mouse and keyboard (and I'm assuming any USB-enabled device) don't light up/work as well. Why could that be?

I want to be sure exactly what the problem is. If push comes to shove, I'll have to take it to a technical expert.

Well some computers go through a diagnostic boot, meaning if they see one component missing (video in this case) then it hangs and that may explain why your other devices won't 'light up'. Or, the motherboard on whole could be bad and not powering or signaling any device.

Moral of the story take it to a tech.

Thank you all. I'll do just that (sigh) after Christmas. Again, thanks to you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"