My ideal Batman game!

griffolyon12

Civilian
Reaction score
I would love to see a free roam Batman game.Go all over Gotham in his cool vehicles,stop street crime,and the batcave could be used as a menu screen where you can look at unlockables and save your progress after a mission.Tell me what you think about this idea.

Kick ass idea, but your not the first to want that. Not being a dick, i'm just being truthful.

Ok, here's MY idea of THE Batman game. This is the Batman game to end all Batman games. Believe me, this would be so sick you'd be hard pressed to even want a sequel because you'll be so satisfied with this one. I'm talking replay value that would rival Mario and Zelda and hours that give Final Fantasy games a run for their money. This is something my brothers and I have been cooking up sitting around on the couches here talking about how crappy almost every Batman game ever released has been and what we wish we could do in one.

Ok, first off, to make this game right it needs to have a story written by Jeff Loeb or somebody who has written a story arc in the comic books and not only knows the character, but can tell one hell of a story as well. Also, obviously this would be for the next generation consoles.

This would be a free-roaming game a'la Spider-man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, a single-player action/adventure RPG that spans multiple discs. A problem I had with Spider-man 2 was lack of real game play and challenges due to all the memory being taken up by the massive city environment. I'm talking about a down-to-the-street-names, exactly to-scale replica of Gotham City as dictated by the comics where every nook and cranny of Gotham is yours to explore, remember, and utilize in your quest throughout the game. This includes a fully explorable Batcave with a training center as well as a working Batcomputer in which to store information, retrieve information, and other goodies such as villain profiles and what not.

Batman would have access to a glider via his cape (like Batman Begins) as well as his Batmobile at all times during the game. He can park it in alleyways or on the street, which would also have traffic and random crime scenes going on (although not so repetetive) as well as some pedestrians.

He would level up like Final Fantasy characters do, gaining experience by solving mysteries (more on this in a minute) and beating up thugs and villains, whom also level up to maintain themselves as a threat throughout the game. As his levels get higher, Batman learns new abilities, shaping up his fighting styles and gaining new moves. He could even have an option of switching fighting styles like in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, each option giving new moves and fascilitating an easier time with particular villains on certain missions (like equipping the correct armor and magic in Final Fantasy games in order to easily defeat a boss or something). Things like air time with the glider and efficiency with batarangs and stuff could fine-tune themselves as Batman levels up as well.

The Batcave would have a training program in it to help beginners as well as to give Batman a place to level up if he's having difficulty defeating some villains. It would also include all those goodies like the giant Joker card, the T-Rex model and the giant Penny and all that good stuff.

The story would feature many villains stretched across a story arc that gets progressively more involved (as all RPGs do). I'm talking about a detective game where Batman has to scour the city looking for clues, following leads, and foiling villainous plots as he uncovers who's behind the whole thing; sending him across Gotham battling his most dangerous rogues and all that good stuff. Think of story arcs with a detective twist like The Long Halloween or Hush.

Robin, Nightwing, Huntress, and Oracle can appear at times to aid Batman in certain situations and be non-playable characters. Oracle can also be on call in the pause menu to Save game, load game, recap info acquired and leads found, as well as provide a store of some kind for health and a detailed map of Gotham if the player gets lost. It also works to add dialogue and clues when Batman is searching the city following a lead or chasing thugs.

Fighting would be real-time like Zelda games or other Batman games, and there would be puzzles and things like that in order to unlock things sometimes as well. This would also loosely utilize the Batman Begins game's fear gauge and the whole interrogating thugs for information as to what's going on and things like that. He would also utilize the shadows and strike when he needs to, just like Batman should.

There could also be great side-quests like, for example, flashbacks of Year One kind of stuff as well as all the random bank heists and things like that scattered all around the city (no catching balloons for little kids...ugh...), maybe certain stories can get more involved than others and things like that. There could be great Batmobile car chase missions (although you can use it at ANY time) and maybe even a Batwing mission chasing after the Joker in a helicopter or some craziness like that.

There could be a time where Batman actually has to go to Arkham and go through certain things, possibly even an "Escape from Arkham" thing happening as well. This gives a great chance for cameos from villains that didn't make it into the story too.

Voices would be done by the animated series actors because nothing beats Mark Hamill as the Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman in terms of voice acting. The look, though, would be as comic book as possible. The story would also open with credits like Metal Gear solid did and would feature breathtaking FMV sequences throughout. With a solid, long, engaging, interesting story.

The possibilities for extras are absolutely boundless. Different versions of Batman's costume could be unlocked; the golden age suit, the silver age suit, the movie suits, the Adam West suit, etc. All the different Batmobiles could be unlocked; the original Bob Kane red car all the way through the movie Batmobiles to the current comics Batmobile. Comic books could be scattered all over the city for an art gallery accessible through the Batcomputer and/or the Oracle in the start menu. It's just a whole mess of stuff.

This game would be huge, fun, entertaining, and the best Batman game ever made if not one of THE best games ever made. This is Batman in his element, letting you BE Batman, scaring the living crap out of thugs and protecting a huge, exact replica of Gotham City like Batman does. Who WOULDN'T want to play this game? I'd cut class to play this game. I'd pay 100 bucks for this game. This thing would be AMAZING. There's no reason why it couldn't be done, especially on the next generation consoles. This would rule all.

Slipping, I liked where you were going - especially with the leveling up ala RPGs but once it got to the secondary characters & all TAS'd out your idea lost me.

But your ideas set to the characters/story/places of both BB and the sequel - sort of an 'Ultimate Batman' game - would be great. I'd love to have to rush over to GPD to meet Gordon once he lit the signal.

And ya know out of all the Batman games, B&R for PS1 came damn close to all this...too bad the movie made a lot of people shy away from that game. It had the clue finding aspects & all that.

Well the whole thing with having secondary characters show up is completely optional. I just figured I'd put them in there for the hell of it. Also, if there's going to be voice acting, then the animated series voices would be the best idea because all the characters are already spoken for. This way the game is not completely tied to the movies as well. The game would be based on and look like the comic book but feature some aspects of the animated series and the movies to provide a balanced plate and appeal to all. I'd prefer the animated series voices to new voice actors or having the movie characters do their voices because then what if we want to use Mr. Freeze or The Riddler or someone who hasn't been done in the new series of films yet? Who would we get? I definitely wouldn't want Arnold reprising his role for this game because this game would be 100% cheese-free. The animated series voices are quite good, in my opinion, and serve the purpose better because all the characters are spoken for. See what I mean?

Better yet, forget the voice acting and just have amazing musical scores fill the silence. Perhaps get the rights to Elfman's '89 score and add movements to it and things like that. Even use some of the music from BB. This would be the Ultimate Batman Game in every respect. Take all the best from every incarnation and put it together for a rocking experience.

Man, that's such a cool thought I didn't even think about. You're in the middle of some investigation and the batsignal comes on and you have to run to GPD and find out what's up. That's just great stuff. This game would totally rock.

I haven't tried playing B&R for playstation. Frankly, I had no idea a game existed; but I doubt it's as involved as this one would be. I'll check it out though.

Next up (and in another forum, of course): a similar Superman game and a JLA action/adventure game reminiscent of X-Men Legends. Too bad I don't own a video game manufacturing company....haha.

Slipping_Halo said:
Ok, here's MY idea of THE Batman game. This is the Batman game to end all Batman games. Believe me, this would be so sick you'd be hard pressed to even want a sequel because you'll be so satisfied with this one. I'm talking replay value that would rival Mario and Zelda and hours that give Final Fantasy games a run for their money. This is something my brothers and I have been cooking up sitting around on the couches here talking about how crappy almost every Batman game ever released has been and what we wish we could do in one.

Ok, first off, to make this game right it needs to have a story written by Jeff Loeb or somebody who has written a story arc in the comic books and not only knows the character, but can tell one hell of a story as well. Also, obviously this would be for the next generation consoles.

This would be a free-roaming game a'la Spider-man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, a single-player action/adventure RPG that spans multiple discs. A problem I had with Spider-man 2 was lack of real game play and challenges due to all the memory being taken up by the massive city environment. I'm talking about a down-to-the-street-names, exactly to-scale replica of Gotham City as dictated by the comics where every nook and cranny of Gotham is yours to explore, remember, and utilize in your quest throughout the game. This includes a fully explorable Batcave with a training center as well as a working Batcomputer in which to store information, retrieve information, and other goodies such as villain profiles and what not.

Batman would have access to a glider via his cape (like Batman Begins) as well as his Batmobile at all times during the game. He can park it in alleyways or on the street, which would also have traffic and random crime scenes going on (although not so repetetive) as well as some pedestrians.

He would level up like Final Fantasy characters do, gaining experience by solving mysteries (more on this in a minute) and beating up thugs and villains, whom also level up to maintain themselves as a threat throughout the game. As his levels get higher, Batman learns new abilities, shaping up his fighting styles and gaining new moves. He could even have an option of switching fighting styles like in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, each option giving new moves and fascilitating an easier time with particular villains on certain missions (like equipping the correct armor and magic in Final Fantasy games in order to easily defeat a boss or something). Things like air time with the glider and efficiency with batarangs and stuff could fine-tune themselves as Batman levels up as well.

The Batcave would have a training program in it to help beginners as well as to give Batman a place to level up if he's having difficulty defeating some villains. It would also include all those goodies like the giant Joker card, the T-Rex model and the giant Penny and all that good stuff.

The story would feature many villains stretched across a story arc that gets progressively more involved (as all RPGs do). I'm talking about a detective game where Batman has to scour the city looking for clues, following leads, and foiling villainous plots as he uncovers who's behind the whole thing; sending him across Gotham battling his most dangerous rogues and all that good stuff. Think of story arcs with a detective twist like The Long Halloween or Hush.

Robin, Nightwing, Huntress, and Oracle can appear at times to aid Batman in certain situations and be non-playable characters. Oracle can also be on call in the pause menu to Save game, load game, recap info acquired and leads found, as well as provide a store of some kind for health and a detailed map of Gotham if the player gets lost. It also works to add dialogue and clues when Batman is searching the city following a lead or chasing thugs.

Fighting would be real-time like Zelda games or other Batman games, and there would be puzzles and things like that in order to unlock things sometimes as well. This would also loosely utilize the Batman Begins game's fear gauge and the whole interrogating thugs for information as to what's going on and things like that. He would also utilize the shadows and strike when he needs to, just like Batman should.

There could also be great side-quests like, for example, flashbacks of Year One kind of stuff as well as all the random bank heists and things like that scattered all around the city (no catching balloons for little kids...ugh...), maybe certain stories can get more involved than others and things like that. There could be great Batmobile car chase missions (although you can use it at ANY time) and maybe even a Batwing mission chasing after the Joker in a helicopter or some craziness like that.

There could be a time where Batman actually has to go to Arkham and go through certain things, possibly even an "Escape from Arkham" thing happening as well. This gives a great chance for cameos from villains that didn't make it into the story too.

Voices would be done by the animated series actors because nothing beats Mark Hamill as the Joker and Kevin Conroy as Batman in terms of voice acting. The look, though, would be as comic book as possible. The story would also open with credits like Metal Gear solid did and would feature breathtaking FMV sequences throughout. With a solid, long, engaging, interesting story.

The possibilities for extras are absolutely boundless. Different versions of Batman's costume could be unlocked; the golden age suit, the silver age suit, the movie suits, the Adam West suit, etc. All the different Batmobiles could be unlocked; the original Bob Kane red car all the way through the movie Batmobiles to the current comics Batmobile. Comic books could be scattered all over the city for an art gallery accessible through the Batcomputer and/or the Oracle in the start menu. It's just a whole mess of stuff.

This game would be huge, fun, entertaining, and the best Batman game ever made if not one of THE best games ever made. This is Batman in his element, letting you BE Batman, scaring the living crap out of thugs and protecting a huge, exact replica of Gotham City like Batman does. Who WOULDN'T want to play this game? I'd cut class to play this game. I'd pay 100 bucks for this game. This thing would be AMAZING. There's no reason why it couldn't be done, especially on the next generation consoles. This would rule all.
This is exactly what I am talking about!If this game was ever made this would be the best game ever.And true I do think the TAS voices would be the perfect choice and I also think that these next-gen consoles have the power to make this game.But the problem is if anyone wil make it.

Wicked idea, but I must disagree on the "Ultimate Batman" idea. The game should go in a set direction. BTAS, Movies, Comics, or its own continuity. Perhaps (and this would make it massively huge) it could have a bunch of options. You can play the BTAS version and fight BTAS-style villains according to BTAS continuity. Or you could play Burtman continuity, where the Joker is already dead. You could play Schumacher continuity, if you really wanted to, and Batman would be a callous one-liner ****e. You could play Nolan continuity, right where the last sequel leaves off. Of course there's the comics continuity. Maybe you could even have Golden, Silver, and Modern Age continuities. These would all have slightly distinct stories, variants on a common story. The guys who did BTAS could write that story, Loeb or Winick could write the comics story, etc.

All the different continuities and alternate universes (excepting Elseworlds, which I don't really like that much) are beautiful in their own way, and should all get the deserved respect of a great game. But amalgamated together, I think something would be lost.

I dunno about all that. The only reason I say it's an amalgamation of everything is to fascilitate voice acting really. Other than that, it'd be pretty straight up comic book adaptation. Only little things like the voice acting would come from different places simply because that's the only source we have (besides the movies, and even then we don't have all the characters) for voices to all the Batman characters, and good ones at that.

The look, feel, and action of the story would be straight out of the current comic book but continuity of the story would probably be an elseworlds kind of thing because it'd be more compelling and surprising if it wasn't an adaptation of something that has already happened and that way there's a lot of freedom to play around with the story. That's the way I see it.

Not to get too hung up on something that is way too cool to happen, but I don't see why it couldn't be allowed into continuity. Remember the Man-Bat GN or Miniseries or whatever it was? Not his ongoing, there was either a mini or a GN that was Elseworlds, but for no apparent reason. They just decided they didn't want it in continuity. It was a great story tho, and didn't damage any current canon.

That's why I say if DC actually made this game, they should take the next step and allow this completely original story into comics canon. There's no reason that just because it's a game it can't have an original story AND fit into canon. I never understood why they couldn't have allowed Dark Tomorrow into continuity, for example.

Well, whatever. It doesn't bother me either way--especially because it's way too cool to happen (God, I would totally cut class to play that game).

Too bad...

*************************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Great idea, but that seems like a monumental undertaking...

...especially considering it'd be pretty tough to do a multiple disc free-roam game.

The next-gen consoles could handle that game if it wasn't too overboard with tons of little details I'm sure.
What I've gathered from the free roams so far is they have a huge environment with a lot you *can* do but little in the way of driving story & events...just a lot of repetitive filler stuff and side quests - so memory wise I'm sure the next-gens could do it.

Batman Dark Tomorrow with decent controls and touch ups. That game is pretty good, but it can be so frustrating, that I wanna throw my Gamecube out of the window.

William15 said:
Batman Dark Tomorrow with decent controls and touch ups. That game is pretty good, but it can be so frustrating, that I wanna throw my Gamecube out of the window.

I liked that DT was a comic book adaptation, but the story/graphics/controls were piss-poor. A horrible, horrible game; Begins is miles ahead.

Is there a comic book of Dark Tomorrow? I thought the story was cool, the graphics were great IMO. The cutscenes were also very beautiful.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
Great idea, but that seems like a monumental undertaking...

...especially considering it'd be pretty tough to do a multiple disc free-roam game.

It seems pretty simple to me. Think of it as having 3 different versions of Spider-Man 2 where you have the whole city set up and all that but the plots are totally different. Same deal here except the plots would be connected from disc to disc. It's been done before pretty much with the Final Fantasy games. I'm sure that the next generation consoles will be able to handle that.

Slipping_Halo said:
It seems pretty simple to me. Think of it as having 3 different versions of Spider-Man 2 where you have the whole city set up and all that but the plots are totally different. Same deal here except the plots would be connected from disc to disc. It's been done before pretty much with the Final Fantasy games. I'm sure that the next generation consoles will be able to handle that.

Yeah- if you've played Shenmue for the Dreamcast, it's been done before.

Anyway, I think your ideas kick ass.

Good ideas... here's the ones I posted last time... a little more multi-centric... a little less RPG-ish...

My Batman Game Ideas

I love almost all the ideas you posted, Slipping Halo. I particularly like the idea of having a fully accessible Gotham City you can roam, and definitely using the animated series voices.

The only thing I would definitely not want is an obligation to find and retrieve tokens, comic books or any other items that would only occur in a video game. I want a fully immersive experience, where you feel like you're actually the Batman all the way through.
All the things you could gain through collecting tokens, I know you could earn those through other means more in keeping with the regular routine of the Batman.

Here are my suggestions for the essential Batman video game (please at least attempt to read the whole thing, at least eventually):

As I said, I also want a fully functional Gotham City. There would be buildings you can enter, but only certain ones, because the Batman does everything for a reason and therefore would not choose to go into random apartments or places of business, and certainly not in full view of the public. I want the there to be a Reputation system that encourages you to stay out of civilians' sight. If you need to run through a crowd during a crime in progress or any other necessary appearances, you wouldn't be punished, but in general, being seen close-up by uninvolved parties lowers your Legend rating. The system should take into account what's actually going on when deciding whether to punish you or reward you. I want there to be a healthy balance of stealth and theatricality. I want a lighting/shadow engine at least on par with the 'Splinter Cell' games. Much of the game would be based on those game mechanics in fact, but not all. The primary inspirations for the format of this game would be...
'Splinter Cell': stealth, gadgetry and quick access to pertinent information.
'True Crime: Streets of L.A.': the huge, sprawling environment, instant alerts of random street crimes while driving and the ability to leave the perps handcuffed.
'Spider-Man 2': upward mobility (climbing and jump lines) and access to all elevations of the city, from the tallest building to street level.

One thing I would insist be a part of this ultimate Batman game is detective work. Several games already on the market are based on this, but I haven't played any of them, so I can't cite them as inspirations. I'll explain in further detail how this would play out in the game, but I don't have all the details worked out in my head. Just raw concepts. Maybe you guys could help with fleshing out the game mechanics of it, and I don't mean programming, although I'm absolutely devoid of that type of knowledge.

Your base of operations is the Batcave, obviously. Training in the cave's advanced gymnasium/simulator is what will take the place of tokens with regard to rewards as well as increase your effectiveness as a fighter. I’d be firm on this one thing: all of the Batman's moves would be available from the very beginning. I never liked the idea of a fully-grown Batman having to relearn moves just because a video game player takes the reins. He knows all his stuff, but we could still be required to build up to full strength by having to practice these moves. The focus of all the game's reward/punishment aspects should be to drive the player to his full potential as the Batman. It's what the Batman would have wanted, right? You are encouraged to master your arsenal of fighting moves as well as every other tactic available to the Batman. The use of gadgets and equipment is also something you'd be rewarded for mastering. Everything is available, but not at full strength. I mean, for the sake of matching it up with the reality of the Batman's world, we could start the story at a point where he's been injured or otherwise out of action for an extended period. This would require him to sharpen all of his skills as well as hone his reputation to its fullest power. In 'Batman Begins,' Ducard told Bruce Wayne that "the training is nothing; the will is everything!" That ain't true. Not for the Batman. His will is tied up with his training, and it's his will that will force you to do a reasonable amount (and I do mean reasonable) of training before you can live it up on the town after sundown.

I don't want the game to be overly difficult. For the most part, common street thugs, regardless of their individual fighting skills or melee weapons, would not be a huge challenge. If you do the bare minimum training for the moves you're using, then you're going to win in close quarters. For gang-ups, you have to train specifically for that before taking down multiple opponents simultaneously. In complicated arenas with environmental obstacles, bare minimum training won't always insure you'll beat the small fry, but there will be ways around that as well.

I know the perfect way to encourage vehemently proper training:
1) The Batman will mentally monologue at great length about the importance of staying at the top of his game if you've gone too long without training and you haven't (re)mastered any or all of your moves. The more you master, the less he gets on your (his) case about it.
2) If you fail in battle against anyone, much less a normal man (meaning something less powerful than Killer Croc or a master fighter of the Batman's caliber, and you haven't completed the training program for the moves you were using (and maybe the moves designated as the next progression up from those moves), the computer will force you to complete the training session before you can leave the cave again.

Training sessions in the Batcave would not be very lengthy at all, and they should be relatively entertaining (Alfred and/or Robin will heckle or cheer you on, depending on how you're doing, to keep the player amused). I realize all this sounds like an extreme amount of emphasis on training to the point that the game wouldn't be any fun, but it really would be less of a pain in the ass than it sounds. Also, once you've mastered the moves and keep a good success rate (which means never being overtaken by a singular average criminal and rarely ever getting overtaken by multiple foes), you don't have to retrain for the specific moves you've mastered. If you do lose a fight, it's back to the cave with you! Not right away (unless you get knocked out), but before the next evening. Training would be done during the day, because you never go out as the Batman during that time. Certain moves aren't good enough for certain classes of enemies, so if you go into a fight unprepared or if you know you'll be going up against someone that the programming knows is too much for your level of expertise, Bruce won't leave you alone until you do what you gotta do. Again, this isn't going to be a huge pain in the ass, but you must put yourself through at least a distant facsimile of what the Batman put himself through to get where he is.

Your equipment:
Batsuit. The Batman wears a fireproof uniform with Kevlar panels to protect against indirect gunshots, stab wounds and blunt trauma. You have a certain amount of protection against most attacks, but don't push your luck. Most gunshots will put you down for the count, and plenty of other types of dangers are ones you can't walk away from. The Batsuit, as well as pretty much everything else in this game, is based on the comics’ lore, with perhaps the exception of the cape's gliding capabilities.
Cowl. The cowl is protective and as bulletproof as the Kevlar in the body suit. It includes:
Starlite lenses which can provide night vision and thermal vision (turns on and off). These protect the Batman from flashbang grenades and other bright flashes that you or someone else causes as a diversion or stopping tactic.
Directional microphones (turns on and off) that amplify sounds such as speech, machinery noise (like a car getting ready to take off or a bomb ticking), sounds of a struggle occurring, etc. In general, these amplify the noise coming from straight ahead most of all, so turning will change the focus of the amplification.
Radio provides a number of functions. It's your link to your allies such as Alfred and Robin, and it can act like a phone when you need to call Commissioner Gordon. It also acts as a police scanner (turns on and off) so you can hear crime alerts when you're not in the car. It also plays audio information received by bugs planted by the Batman or an ally.
Cape is fireproof and mostly bulletproof. By blocking with the cape, you can avoid major damage from most semi-automatic fire and shotguns fired from a distance, although you'll still feel pain (there will be a pain factor, tied in with a realistic damage system for the Batman).
The cape also acts as a glider, a la 'Batman Begins.' It would probably function the same way the game based on that movie did, rather than how it was used in the movie itself.
The cape can act as a way of extending your reach in a fight, as the tips of the cape scallops contain small lead weights. You could use these to knock a handgun out of the hand of a close by enemy as well as inflict damage to the enemy himself. Perhaps this could automatically come into play when you're confronted with an enemy that is just out of punching range but within the range of a swung cape (a couple extra feet). That seems like the simplest way to make it work.
Scallops on the gloves allow the Batman to block sword attacks and some other melee weapon attacks. The hardened gauntlets also block punches, kicks and even single gunshots at close range if timed properly (although you'd have to be pretty damn confident to even try this, since the cape may not protect against so close a shot and it has to be exact timing for the gauntlet to deflect the bullet).

Utility belt contains several gadgets, weapons and items:
Bat-Grapnel is a hand-held device that fires a sophisticated grappling hook attached to a tough steel cable. It is used for climbing, rappelling, swinging and zip-line descent. Grapnel line can be released in mid-climb, mid-descent, mid-swing, but must be retrieved to reuse. Can grasp any sturdy substance. Descent and ascent speed can be modified during use. Belt capacity = 2 max.
Batarangs are good for disarming enemies, knock-outs (making a person unconscious in one strike), killing light bulbs, activating switches from a distance and other long-term tasks that require or can permit a strong blow from a hard object. Sometimes they can just cause a diversion through the noise they make on impact. Batarangs can return to the Batman's hand if thrown in an open enough space and can be retrieved if found on the ground or lodged in surfaces. Belt capacity = 10 max.
Bat-shuriken are sharp, tiny throwing stars that perform many of the same functions Batarangs do but not all and to lesser degrees most of the time. They can still disarm and shatter light bulbs, but may not activate distant switches with equal success as the Batarangs. They cause pain in almost all enemies they strike (which lessens the enemy's effectiveness and often forces them to pause), but will likely not knock them out unless they are already beaten up pretty badly. They cause noisy diversions if thrown close enough to an enemy. They can be retrieved, but are much more likely to get lost than Batarangs. Belt capacity = 20-25 max.
Bat-bolas are weights (2 or 3 usually) connected by cords that are thrown in order to trip or otherwise incapacitate a target. On striking a target (usually the legs), the weights will cause the cords to wrap themselves about it, tripping the target. A traditional bola is not a friendly weapon. It often damages the target by breaking bones and causing other blunt trauma, but the Batman's are specially designed to cause minimal damage. Belt capacity = 5.
Smoke pellets create a thick fog through which enemies without thermal vision cannot see and which acts as cover. The Batman himself will need more times than not his thermal vision while moving through the smoke. This smoke is harmless, but may cause decreased effectiveness in characters other than the Batman due to the mild coughing in addition to the virtual blindness. They can be used as diversions as well. Belt capacity = 10-15 max.
Tear gas pellets release gas that causes uncontrollable coughing and eye watering (and sometimes vomiting) in anyone who gets caught in it. The Batman's lenses protect him from the eye irritant, but he needs to put on a gas mask if he spends more than 15 or so seconds in an area filled with tear gas. He can hold his breath for over two minutes, but it's also a skin irritant that will reduce the Batman's abilities severely due to pain, so he needs the specially-fitted miniature gas mask to cover his exposed lower face. Belt capacity = 5-10 max.
Gas mask folds down small enough to be carried in utility belt and can be quickly retrieved and placed on the Batman's face when needed. It protects against every kind of gas that could be used by and against you including tear gas, air-born toxins, etc. The gas mask also doubles as a rebreather, for underwater use. Belt capacity = 2; In situations where an enemy is also wearing a gas mask, is immune to gas (like Poison Ivy, I think), or is really good at holding their breath and is fast enough to get a real fight going before the gas' non-respiratory effects get them down (I'm thinking Killer Croc here), they might be able to knock or pull you mask off. In case you lose it, you have another one. Not very likely, but a possibility, and that's what being the Batman is all about.
Flash-bang grenades are small canisters containing phosphorous that cause a loud noise and blinding flash of light when thrown. The Batman is mostly protected from the effects of this device (everything might be a lot brighter, decreasing your visual accuracy for several moments, but you can still see enough to do your job) by his cowl's lenses. Flash-bangs can temporarily incapacitate those looking in the grenades direction when it goes off, but some enemies may blindly swing their arms or melee weapons or blindly fire weapons in anticipation of attack. Thus, it might be a good idea to keep moving while the effects of a flashbang stun your foes and especially to protect (block or shove to the ground) or extract (physically prompt or carry out) any hostages or bystanders. A good set-up for a Batarang disarm or blitz attack. Belt capacity = 5 max.
Plastic explosives can be attached to doors or other objects that you might want to destroy. Remotely detonated. Remember, the Batman doesn't kill, so be damn sure you don't put anyone in mortal dangerous when you use this item. Belt capacity: 5-7 units max.
Bat cuffs in their current incarnation are very durable versions of plastic FlexiCuffs which require nothing short of bolt-cutters or the Batman's own diamond-reinforced rope-cutter to break. The Batman can use these on anyone he wishes to restrain (he can cuff someone to an object like a street lamp, etc. by putting the prisoner's hands on either side of the object and then cuffing them; this would be done automatically in response to the player's commands) after which he can leave the perp where they lay or transport them somewhere else (you can also have them walk on their own power where you tell them to, and if they're smart, they'll do it). Belt capacity = 20-30 max.
Bat-line is a multi-filament nylon cord with very high tensile strength. You can cut it with your rope cutter, so therefore you can use it continuously in several pieces of various lengths to tie up captured crooks. Helpful if you run out of Bat-cuffs (before returning to the Batmobile to restock) but takes longer to bind prisoners. Can be used to hang perps from poles, etc., and to dangle from a height during interrogations. You can attach the Bat-line to a Batarang and use it as a makeshift grappling hook if you've lost your Bat-grapnels or don't wish to use them now (it won't retract or fire automatically the way the grapnel works, but you've got more line and batarangs than grapnels). Belt capacity = unlimited.
Binoculars are self-explanatory, right? They're tiny but mighty and include an integral compass. Belt capacity = 1 max.
Portable GPS system gives you access to a full map of Gotham City. From here, you can check up on tracking devices, plan your travel route and search locations. The Batman already knows every square foot of Gotham City my heart. Through the pause menu, you can access his contemporary memory and you'll get a map almost as complete as the GPS can give you, but the difference is that you can only determine certain things from the Batman's "mental map." The mental map can tell you where you are in the city, the names of every street and landmark, the various gang territories (this is actually something you probably wouldn't see on the GPS, so it's good to check both), and the last known locations of several characters (namely your allies and characters you deal with during game play, as permanent residences and known hangouts for every character is listed in the Bat computer). The GPS is the link between your mental map and the Bat computer. It can mark an address you pick out of the database, it can tell you the exact distance between two points, the quickest route by car between two points (you might decide it's easier to go by car or to go on foot over rooftops or through back alleys), the distance and estimated time of a multi-point route, and other similar advanced functions. It also gives information about the z-axis, telling you how high up you are, how high a tracker is (telling you what floor its on as well, since the GPS knows the layout of all the building in Gotham). It can tell you how fast a tracker is moving in any direction as well. It's an awesome device.

To be continued...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"