My Review of YouTube Channels (Jeremy Jahns, Collider, etc)

Jahns is too hyper for me. I don't actively dislike him or anything, but he just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more of a fan of Chris Stuckmann's style when it comes to serious reviews.

I'm actually one of the few that thinks Nostalgia Critic has gotten better after his hiatus. It was always more a of comedy show than a real review show, so the added skits and actors add a lot compared to the old sit in front of a wall and recap the film with a few memes stuff. In particular, I love where they re-enact the movie instead of just showing clips. His DCEU reviews are GOLDEN. My favorite skit though is the "Girls of Rock and Roll" parody from The Chipmunk Adventure.

James Rolfe and Mike Matei are generally good, even if the AVGN is somewhat limited these days (although there are still quality eps occasionally like the Power Rangers, Sonic 06, and Planet of the Apes ones). Cinemassacre is my go to for classic horror reviews.

Wrestling with Wregret is easily my favorite pro wrestling show. Zane's been in the industry so he knows what he's talking about and I find he is generally fair. He's not just a typical bash everything that isn't Japan or small indy guys smark.

I like ProJared, but I wish he'd do more reviews and fewer Let's Plays.

The Completionist is another video game reviewer I enjoy.

Crash Course is good for a quick entertaining educational overview on a variety of subjects. My favorite being the astronomy one and I've been a fan of Phil Plait for 20 years.

jmc said:
Alternate History Hub - animated series about alternate history, asking what if questions about specific world events. Not so much educational as it is fun speculation, but it's still goes into detail about the real events.

The Great War - A complete break down of World War 1 that started in 2014 where each week new videos explain what happened during the same week of the war 100 years ago.

I need to go look at these after the Olympics. Thanks for mentioning them.

I used to follow Jeremy Jahns a lot but sometimes he can get arrogant and overrates some of the reviews he gives just because it's a franchise he loves

Collider: Been downhill since Campea left, but I like John Schnepp and I'm more of a fan of ColiderHeroes and Jedi Council than the main Movietalk.

JeremyJahns: I dig him. He's succinct with his opinions on movies and the editing is on-point.

Double Toasted: Been a fan of them since the Spill.com days but it just isn't what it used to be. I miss Co-Host. They're still entertaining though.

Geekvolution: I like this channel a lot and have been following him for years. His reviews/analysis on movies are very cogent and thoughtful.

Confused Matthew: He's definitely a contrarian sometimes and he's a mixed bag for me, but when he's good, he's really good. His Lion King review is an all-timer.

John Campea: A lot of people don't like him and I must admit some of his opinions baffle me but he can articulate his opinions well and he's got a bit of insider knowledge what with him working in Hollywood as a VFX artist. I think he worked on Incredible Hulk?

Beyond The Trailer: Grace Randolph doesn't disprove the dumb blonde stereotype but I must admit I find her captivating to watch. Her voice is a bit grating at first but after a while you get used to it. Like Campea, some of her opinions baffle me since she's quite the contrarian herself(she actually likes Iron Man 2 better than Iron Man 1! She doesn't like either Toy Story 3 or Inside Out! She's one of the very few people in the world who prefers the theatrical cut of BvS to the Ultimate Cut!).

Midnight Edge: They're one of the best. I found them when they were covering the Fan4stic behind-the-scenes drama and their videos are generally really well-researched and quite thorough, and can be quite educational.

Super Eye Patch Wolf: Phenomenal. His stuff is so insightful and so eloquent that I implore folks here to look at his Simpsons video. It's great stuff.

Red Letter Media/Half In The Bag: They're fun. And Rich has the most infectious laugh ever. They're a riot! They're Force Awakens video was weak sauce though.

Every Frame A Painting: One of the best. So good. It's really one of the best you tube channels for those who want to get into film. It's a shame this channel is now defunct.

Patrick Willems: He's good. He has some interesting opinions that he can articulate quite well and I like his editing.

Last edited:
No, he didnt care for Last Jedi, and he's a SW fanboy.
I stopped watching his reviews after Star Wars 7. He said something like "this deserves a 'buy on Blu ray' rating, but since since this is my review and I do what I want I'm giving it an Awesometacular!" and I haven't been watching his reviews a lot since then

to me that's like a professor grading students' final exams, one student who got a B+, but since it's his favorite student he just gave him an A instead

I hate RLM. I think they have merit but as someone who love the SW prequels, the sheer amount of people that take them as gospel just prevents me from enjoying anything they do.

I gotta be honest, I only watch YouTube. So I watch a lot of YouTubers. Just thought I'd share my opinion.

Chris Stuckmann
- Prolly my second favorite. Jahns is more comical whereas Stuckmann is cool bc he's more serious and talks about film in more depth. He's extremely educated in the history of film.

Collider - Hit and Miss, imo. I do enjoy most of their shows, but Mark Ellis truly hurts the show. His humor is so forced and predicatable. He seems like an okay guy, but I don't think I laughed at one thing he's said. But he's not the star of the show, there is a lot of other ppl on there. Jon Schnapp is my favorite. I like Jon's opinions and he seems like a cool dude. My only complaint is the dude should clean up. He looks like a total slob and a stereo typical guy who lives in mom's basement - and he's a legit filmmaker who has a lot of credibility, so for his own sake, comb his hair and dress nicer. Perri seems like a sweetheart in real life. Her opinions generally suck though. The problem I have with Collider is they have a lot of ppl rotate on the show and none of them are that interesting. They have that asian dude on a lot, I think his name is Doug and he is terribly boring and has ZERO personality. They tried to put Jeremy Jahns on there , but Jahns didnt work well with the crew. The only super interesting non-predictable Collider did was took shots at John Campea, lol. Another small issue I have is it seems Collider is a corporate production which means they could be bought by studios to say good things about their movies. Grace Randolph hinted at this in the past. Honestly, Collider seems SO DESPERATE to break into mainstream and be accepted as a household name, its absolutely pathetic. The discussions on there are G-rated. Not even PG. If u listen to that silly intro music , I always cringe. "Bring your family to sit around the computer and watch COLLIDER EVERYONE !!!" No thanks. We're good.

John Campea - I can't stand Campea. He comes across as a guy who thinks he's the expert of movie news. He talks as if nothing he says could possibly be wrong. Maybe I dont know enough about him, but I'm not sure why ppl think he's an expert. As far as I know, he just asks celebrities questions about their upcoming film and thats it. I know he did blogging, but just bc u have opinions doesnt make you an expert. Jon Schnapp made the Superman doc, so he's a legit filmmaker. Have no idea why ppl take Campea as credible at anything. Him talking about sports is pure 100% cringe. He has no clue what he's talking about. Maybe he knows hockey bc i dont follow that , but literally everything else he is wrong.

Tyrone Magnus - Over rated. He is a 'reactor' to things and he doesnt really have that big of reactions on anything. Its strange he's so famous. He's not a bad guy, but it seems like he is only into 'comic book' things bc that is what got him famous. But he seems like more of a work out / sports guy.

Andre the Black Nerd - Wayyyy too much energy for me. It comes across as annoying to me. He's a good guy, he really is a true fan of the things he makes videos about. But just over reacts to things on purpose for entertainment value doesnt work for me, because it comes across as fake.

Kevin Smith - You can't be into our geek culture and not look at Kevin Smith as the icon of us ! Love him. Only complain is that his movie reviews are like 2 hours long. And with his connections to Hollywood, he is incredbly biased. He gave BvS a great review, Last Jedi a great review, TFA great review....all bc he is connected to all these filmmakers, he went on the TFA set. His partner is a good guy and cool to listen to.

Mr. Sunday Movies - Australian guy who makes super entertaining videos with hilarious commentary. Great channel.

I know this thread is 2 years old but spotted it and thought I may as well post.

Chris Stuckmann's a solid film reviewer. As you said he knows his craft and brings a lot of knowledge and good analysis to his reviews.

Collider I've watched on and off. I think I watched it less after Jon Schnepp passed as he was a big character and brought a lot of energy to it. I do like Perri Nemiroff as she's good at breaking down her reasons for liking/not liking a film and seems to be a good balanced reviewer.

John Campea's all right although he can grate a bit especially with his dat apples analogies. He can come across as a bit smug and it's funny seeing him change his tune over the Snyder Cut so many times...."there's no Snyder Cut......uhh no what I said is there's no finished cut...".

Tyrone Magnus is a laugh and I remember him before his "1 million subscribers" period so good to see he's reached that milestone. I think he plays up to the camera a little like a lot of YouTube personalities. And he's clearly a fan of comic book films and an actor so he has some industry experience and a complete outsider.

Andre the Nerd's not for me and I agree with you InfinityWar. Not to be contrarian but he seems to play the stereotypical 'OTT black guy' a little. I get he's really into it but it's frustrating listening to him. Since he'll discuss his thoughts on something and make some interesting points then all of a sudden squeal or whatever.

I like Kevin Smith's Fatman show. If anything I enjoy listening more to Marc Bernardin because he's quite insightul and doesn't waffle, get lost in a stream of thought nor has a nerdgasm like a lot of YouTubers do. I thought what he said here about the perils of pandering to audiences and art shouldn't be dictated by them but rather be decided by the artist was very smart and intelligent. Generally speaking I like listening to people who work in the business and his experience shows in much of his commentary.

Heavy Spoilers is a good channel for breaking down news and insights about comic book stuff especially Snyder's vision for Justice League.

Mr H Reviews is another good one. He goes into lore about various films as well as given his opinions on film news as well as doing reviews.

Jahns is too hyper for me. I don't actively dislike him or anything, but he just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more of a fan of Chris Stuckmann's style when it comes to serious reviews.

I'm actually one of the few that thinks Nostalgia Critic has gotten better after his hiatus. It was always more a of comedy show than a real review show, so the added skits and actors add a lot compared to the old sit in front of a wall and recap the film with a few memes stuff. In particular, I love where they re-enact the movie instead of just showing clips. His DCEU reviews are GOLDEN. My favorite skit though is the "Girls of Rock and Roll" parody from The Chipmunk Adventure.

James Rolfe and Mike Matei are generally good, even if the AVGN is somewhat limited these days (although there are still quality eps occasionally like the Power Rangers, Sonic 06, and Planet of the Apes ones). Cinemassacre is my go to for classic horror reviews.

Wrestling with Wregret is easily my favorite pro wrestling show. Zane's been in the industry so he knows what he's talking about and I find he is generally fair. He's not just a typical bash everything that isn't Japan or small indy guys smark.

I like ProJared, but I wish he'd do more reviews and fewer Let's Plays.

The Completionist is another video game reviewer I enjoy.

Crash Course is good for a quick entertaining educational overview on a variety of subjects. My favorite being the astronomy one and I've been a fan of Phil Plait for 20 years.

I need to go look at these after the Olympics. Thanks for mentioning them.
Ugh I used to like his content (watched his entire RE2 remake play through), but between his scant reviews and the drama that broke out between he and his wife I just couldn't watch anymore. I don't want to know about that kind of stuff.

I actually haven't been watching much of Normal Boots cause most seem to be done with their reviews other than Jon and Jirard.

Personally enjoy Struckmann. Very passionate about film, can be funny at times but takes reviewing seriously and I find is very transparent when it comes to his feelings on things and why he has paticular stances. He's definetely my standard for YT movie reviews.

Side question. Not a review, but this thread exists so I might get an answer..There was a channel that primarily did bad horror/scifi movie reviews. It had a higher pitched & fast paced guitar riff over its opening which was a montage of clips from various bad movies which ended with a clip from Vanilla Ice's magnum opus Cool as Ice. The reviewer stayed off screen and was just a voiceover. I really enjoyed the channel, but for the life of me I cant recall what it was called and I cant seem to find it in my YT history... any chance anybody know what this channel is/was? Its been driving me crazy for about 2 weeks now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"