Mystic Arcana: The Magical Makeover

Caselli and Grummet actually draw really similar faces. Their styles are pretty similar in general, much like Epting's and Perkins' on Cap. Hence, I figured they'd make a good team.

For a Young Avengers series, I'd really want Cheung back. The team's identity is just so tied to his design sense and visual style that they'd feel weird without him. But Grummett's definitely a good second choice if he's not available.

Caselli and Grummet actually draw really similar faces. Their styles are pretty similar in general, much like Epting's and Perkins' on Cap. Hence, I figured they'd make a good team.

For a Young Avengers series, I'd really want Cheung back. The team's identity is just so tied to his design sense and visual style that they'd feel weird without him. But Grummett's definitely a good second choice if he's not available.

Cheung's too slow. I'm tired of slow artists who do good work on a bi-monthly schedule. I'd much rather have someone more efficient who might not be the first choice.

And I don't see how Casselli and Grummet are similiar at all. Grummet's got more of a classic, old school style, and Casselli's completely new school.

Look at the faces. Yeah, Caselli's looser with his expressions and stuff while Grummett's more traditional, but they draw lips almost exactly the same.

Just give Cheung a lot of lead time. Unlike the other slow artists, he's actually productive on a regular basis despite his slowness.

Cheung is also developing a more detailed style that will probably make him even slower. I don't know. He's good, but I think a lot of people have a higher opinion of his art then I do. His faces all look exactly the same, whether male or female and his figures don't vary much, either.

Still don't see the Grummett/Caselli comparison, but whatever.

I still have to read Scarlet Witch. It's taken me a while to getting around to catching up on all my reading; after reading Hedge Knight and the first three issues of Hedge Knight II I had to go out and get George RR Martin first book, A Game Of Thrones, which is 800 pages long. So, I'm now on his second book, but as I had about 200 comics to read in my new release box, I realized I better stop for a bit and finally catch up.

I wasn't at all impressed with the Magik issue, but thought Black Knight was pretty good (and, I was kind of disappointed by it not being Dane, too). The Marvel Tarot really impressed me. As they already put out a handbook for Mystic Arcana, I wasn't disappointed that certain characters weren't in that issue. You could just tell the people involved with The Marvel Tarot really put quite a bit into that issue, and it looked really nice. It's probably the only highlight of the series.

Marvel's little events like this are generally disappointing, though. Remembering back, most really suck. They never really fit into anything else Marvel is doing, and it's all quickly forgotten. I'm trying to remember the ones that comes to mind. Captain Universe, Marvel Romance Redux, I (Heart) Marvel, Legion of Monsters, various What Ifs (the last batch of that finally made up for the previous suckage), Marvelous Adventures of Gus Beezer, Stan Lee Meets...quite a bit of crap.

Moving this little question to a topic that died away almost two months ago? Geez, we're getting more anal every day.

Cheung is also developing a more detailed style that will probably make him even slower. I don't know. He's good, but I think a lot of people have a higher opinion of his art then I do. His faces all look exactly the same, whether male or female and his figures don't vary much, either.

Still don't see the Grummett/Caselli comparison, but whatever.
Yes, Cheung's faces are identical, but that doesn't bother me in comics too much anymore. Like I said, it's his sense of design and his overall aesthetic that I like. I associate the Young Avengers with that. They always look slightly awkward to me when other people draw them.

I liked the way Caselli drew them in the YA/R mini. I also like Lee Weeks' take on them in the Winter Soldier one shot.

Moving this little question to a topic that died away almost two months ago? Geez, we're getting more anal every day.

If it's such a little question, why couldn't the Stupid Questions thread be used? ;)

You couldn't have asked the question in the original thread?

Marvel's little events like this are generally disappointing, though. Remembering back, most really suck. They never really fit into anything else Marvel is doing, and it's all quickly forgotten. I'm trying to remember the ones that comes to mind. Captain Universe, Marvel Romance Redux, I (Heart) Marvel, Legion of Monsters, various What Ifs (the last batch of that finally made up for the previous suckage), Marvelous Adventures of Gus Beezer, Stan Lee Meets...quite a bit of crap.
Maybe they need to associate Mystic Arcana with Annihilation. That seems to turn everything around. It was another mini-event of sorts and it turned out fantastic. Now Annihilation: Conquest has even taken the Captain Universe dude from that mini-event and turned him into an interesting character in Star-Lord. If anybody could make Mystic Arcana stop sucking, it's Keith Giffen. :up:

As for the Marvel Tarot, it does seem like they put a lot of work into it. I just think the direction it seems to be taking Marvel's magic side into sucks. When I think of Marvel's magic heroes, I think of Dr. Strange, the Black Knight, Thor and the other gods, Blade, Ghost Rider, Dr. Druid, and the Scarlet Witch (although whether she's magic anymore or just a godlike reality manipulator is debatable), almost all of whom were extremely marginalized or entirely absent from the Marvel Tarot.
I liked the way Caselli drew them in the YA/R mini. I also like Lee Weeks' take on them in the Winter Soldier one shot.
I liked those too, but they still felt slightly awkward. They only really felt like themselves on the covers to me.

Anyway, I'm sure whenever we get a new YA series and Cheung's not drawing it, I'll disassociate them more and get over it.

Yeah, I'm going to go back two months to find a thread that has died away...it makes more sense, as PhotoJones said, to move it to the Stupid Questions thread.

Who cares? It's merged now, and a mod merged it so you didn't have to find it, so everyone's happy.

Except for the mod. He/She's unhappy because he/she had to perform actual duties.

Mods are perpetually unhappy.

Except Excelsior. He's always happy.

He seems to be content to hang out in Community a lot, reposting random crap from the web.

I do sometimes. I can't stay for long, though. I mean, you think some of the people in here are dumb. Community's a whole other animal. For kicks, you should look up Ice-Man and read his posts.

Oh, I'm familiar with it. I doubt it's changed very much since the last time I visited it.

Who cares? It's merged now, and a mod merged it so you didn't have to find it, so everyone's happy.

Yeah, but what fun is life if I can't ***** about things in the Hype Threads. I mean, I still had a couple good gripes in my system, and you want to me to be all Rodney King.

Sorry, ***** away. The discussion about the topic at hand has pretty much died anyway. :up:

It died along with my hopes of an Annihilation-level magic event. :(

It limped on long past that. You had to know this thing wouldn't be as good as Annihilation after the first couple issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"