Never been a comic reader and have a question

Luke234

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the movies . I also love origin stories but I asked a worker in a comic store if there was a comic that was like a reboot with complete origin stories ? The other question I had was is there a running comic in which Superman is the only superhero in that " universe?" He said no to that as well.
I was surprised. But is this true? I like knowing the history of everything that is " canon" just like I want to see every episode of my favourite tv shows.
I'd enjoy collecting but unfortunately I can't justify the cost if I'm only getting a percentage of the story.

Just find a character you like, find the beginning of the current story arc, and dive in. You won't understand everything, but you'll get the gist, enough to enjoy it, and then just keep on reading. The more you read the more you will understand everyone and everything. When it comes to established characters in established universes (i.e. D.C. and Marvel) it's pretty much the only way to go. All of that may sound overwhelming, but it's really not once you get into it.

I'm a big fan of the movies . I also love origin stories but I asked a worker in a comic store if there was a comic that was like a reboot with complete origin stories ? The other question I had was is there a running comic in which Superman is the only superhero in that " universe?" He said no to that as well.
I was surprised. But is this true? I like knowing the history of everything that is " canon" just like I want to see every episode of my favourite tv shows.
I'd enjoy collecting but unfortunately I can't justify the cost if I'm only getting a percentage of the story.

If you want to start somewhere, Scott Snyders Batman run is a great place to start. His run was accessible and interesting for both newcomers and long-time readers. Stories like Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, The Killing Joke, The Man Who Laughs, The Dark Knight Returns, Joker by Azzarello are stories that can be read and enjoyed by newcomers too IMO.

There's been some modern retellings of origins over the years. Green Lantern: Secret Origin or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Daredevil: Yellow for example, if that helps.

To answer the 2nd question, I don't remember seeing any other heroes or signs of their existence in All-Star Superman. I could be wrong though, it's been I while. I do highly recommend it though, if you like Superman.

Ah, thanks for the information! I'm kinda bummed. I wanna see and read the whole story but I can't justify the cost. I get why they do it. I guess I'll stick to movies and TV.

Now is a good time to enter the comic book world. Both DC and Marvel have easy dive-in points. Most of DC's current titles have less than 10 issues, so you could pick up Supes' current books without breaking the bank.

Superman began coexisting with other heroes just a couple of years after his conception, but he's has plenty of solo adventures. You might want to focus on his pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths, which began in 1985, by picking up some trade paperbacks or hardcovers of his earliest stories.

Just find a character you like, find the beginning of the current story arc, and dive in. You won't understand everything, but you'll get the gist, enough to enjoy it, and then just keep on reading. The more you read the more you will understand everyone and everything. When it comes to established characters in established universes (i.e. D.C. and Marvel) it's pretty much the only way to go. All of that may sound overwhelming, but it's really not once you get into it.

This is pretty much how I got into it some 20 years ago. I beganwith one serie and slowly began other series later. This was not overwhelming at all. And you're right, the more I read the more I "enjoyed" it because I understood more and more.

Ah, thanks for the information! I'm kinda bummed. I wanna see and read the whole story but I can't justify the cost. I get why they do it. I guess I'll stick to movies and TV.
If DC is what you're wanting to get into, do what I did, and just start with the Re-birth. All the characters are really re-discovering their previous stories anyway since they are Merging the old origins with the post Flash point New 52, so you can come in and learn with the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"