New Ben-Hur adaptation

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
MGM Plans Ben-Hur Remake

Source: Deadline
January 14, 2013

MGM is planning a new adaptation of Lew Wallace's 1880 novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ, Deadline reports. The text has been previously adapted for stage, screen and radio with William Wyler's 1959 version the most well-known version today.

The outlet suggests that plans for the new version, to be based on a spec script by Keith Clarke (The Way Back), will follow Wallace's original novel and the life of Judah Ben-Hur, a Jewish prince sold into slavery who then vows revenge against the man responsible. Set in the early years of the first century, Ben-Hur's struggles parallel those of Jesus Christ.

No director is currently attached to the project, but Sean Daniel and Joni Levin will produce with Clarke and Jason Brown executive producing

Nothing can top the chariot sequence in the 1959 film. Today it would be shot against blue screen with CG chariots and CG fatalites unlike the '59 version where people actually were in danger doing the sequence, some of stunt men actually were killed. I don't mean that they should remake this with same amount of danger, it's just how can they top the '59 film cinematically...... with CG? The updated sequence will probably have camera moves that will be wild and intense editing and more blood everywhere. When I think about it that's exactly what a Biblical story needs!

Last edited:
Love the Charlton Heston classic, one of my favorite films of all time! Don't mind a new adaptation so long the material is treated respect. I wonder how a film like this will do in these modern times as the western world is in a very different place ( politically, religiously, etc.) than it was when the 1959 film came out.

Last edited:
Nothing can top the chariot sequence in the 1959 film. Today it would be shot against blue screen with CG chariots and CG fatalites unlike the '59 version where people actually were in danger doing the sequence, some of stunt men actually were killed. I don't mean that they should remake this with same amount of danger, it's just how can they top the '59 film cinematically...... with CG? The updated sequence will probably have camera moves that will be wild and intense editing and more blood everywhere. When I think about it that's exactly what a Biblical story needs!

I imagine they might do it similar to the car chases in the Bourne movies where they custom built the cars and had cameras attached to it to add to the feel of immediacy. Doing the chariot sequences via CGI would be awful and much like remaking classic car chases in other films (eg Bullitt, the French Connection etc) by CG.

I personally don't know how they can top the Charlton Heston movie either. That is tied with Titanic for the most number of Oscar wins. Will the new film come anywhere near that?

have no problem haven't seen original and not really into watching older movies especially one from the 50's lol

hell titanic was a remake wasn't it since the original came out in 1953

have no problem haven't seen original and not really into watching older movies especially one from the 50's lol

hell titanic was a remake wasn't it since the original came out in 1953

It wasn't a remake. It wasn't based on the earlier movie. It's just a different film based on the same historical events.

Come on Hollywood....Stop remaking great films.

Next will be Citizen Kane yeah?

Come on Hollywood....Stop remaking great films.

Next will be Citizen Kane yeah?

Why watch that old movie when you can just wait for the remake which will probably be more Twilight-ish or something in tone?

This doesn't really need a remake.

I agree. I think they should pick a different story but make it reminiscent of Ben Hur in terms of scope, cinematography, design, costumes, stunts etc. That way it won't draw comparisons but people will get a feeling of nostalgia while others will be introduced to this genre of film.

Kind of like how Gladiator was a remake of Spartacus. But it wasn't. Not really.

They will pick Sam Worthington or Shia Lebeouf for the lead. That's how Hollywood works today

God, remake Lawrence of Arabia with Robert Pattinson why don't you!

worst idea of the universe !!!:doh:

Even if it turns into a shot for shot remake by the end of production it will in no way replace or degrade the original. It will still exist and be held just as high as it has always been held. This remake is a non issue. And let's not forget that the 1959 Ben-Hur is itself a remake of the 1925 silent film. This is no different.

Last edited:
I actually rather liked the miniseries from a few years back. You guys are just ******** about everything. We get it. Modern Hollywood is hell on earth, blah blah blah... :o

Gone With The Wind, starring Lautner and Stewart

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Or a movie with Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor...

oh wait...

I actually rather liked the miniseries from a few years back. You guys are just ******** about everything. We get it. Modern Hollywood is hell on earth, blah blah blah... :o

Miniseries? I didn't know there was one. I really don't like the original. My 6th grade history teacher forced this upon me and I fell asleep repeatedly, incurring his wrath. Still to this day I can't stay awake through the film.

I'm waiting for them to remake Casablanca. I've got my pitchfork ready.

Oh? A remake? Hmmm, I guess it's asinine since it's a well-known and successful movie that won many Oscars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"