New Heavy Metal animated movie from Robert Rodriguez

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
I hear somewhere that Robert Rodriguez got the rights for a new HM animated movie.

Sounds interesting and i would love to see this as an anthology with different animation styles and different directors in each segment such as 2D, CGI, Clay animation, stop motion animation, sketchy, water-color, Flash and anime.

I should see Rodriguez, Tarantino, Rob Zombie, Henry Selleck, Will Vinton, Yoshiaka Kawajari (Ninja Scroll with Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust fame), Bruce Timm, Michael Bay, Zack Snyder, that director of Chico and Rita and some others for the segments.

Pssh, I'll see it day one. Heavy Metal AND Robert Rodriguez?

Love Heavy Metal. Loved the original animated flick and the magazine. Question is, in todays political climate, will the animated graphic violence and full frontal nudity be portrayed like in the original ? Plus, what rock bands out now are worthy to be on the soundtrack ?

Love Heavy Metal. Loved the original animated flick and the magazine. Question is, in todays political climate, will the animated graphic violence and full frontal nudity be portrayed like in the original ? Plus, what rock bands out now are worthy to be on the soundtrack ?

Well there is more gore/nudity in movies at this point than at any other point in history so I'd say you have little to worry about on that front.

I doubt they will bother to try and get a PG-13 rating, as the only reason to do that would be to get more people in the seats and let's face it, they are going to be getting very few people seeing this in theaters.

Well there is more gore/nudity in movies at this point than at any other point in history so I'd say you have little to worry about on that front.

I doubt they will bother to try and get a PG-13 rating, as the only reason to do that would be to get more people in the seats and let's face it, they are going to be getting very few people seeing this in theaters.

I don't know Baramos, on premium cable shows like True Blood, Game of Thrones, and Spartacus, I would say Yes, there is more graphic violence and frontal nudity/sexual situations, but in today's motion pictures, I think it's a little more tame, well at least in the sex department . Todays movies have no problem showing extreme violence, but nudity , especially full frontal is still kinda taboo. The first Heavy Metal came out in 1981,when movies like Porky's and others had no problem showing Bush. Traditional 2D animated features rarely get theatrical releases these days, especially R-rated ones. I got a feeling this is either going to be watered down or released straight to Dvd like Heavy Metal : F.A.K.K.

Well you also have to factor in that it's Robert Rodriguez. He had no problem showing female genitalia in Machete (although fleeting, it was definitely there, especially when Machete had that woman thrown over his shoulder), why would he balk at an animated film? The gore you don't even have to worry about, it will be there.

I think the thing you'd have to worry about is whether they really see this as cost-effective, fortunately since it is animated I assume it costs a fraction of what a live-action movie would. Still, a theatrical release is the kind of thing you'd have to worry about--it might indeed be more straight-to-DVD territory for the studio.

I'm particularly curious as to what the soundtrack would be like. That is as much an element of Heavy Metal as the animation and stories themselves.

But who likes my idea to have this movie have different animation in each segment from 2D, sketchy, Flash (ala MLP), CGI, Clayanimation, Stop Motion and anime? sounds like an ideal experiment eh?

And who likes my ideal choices for directors of each segment?

But who likes my idea to have this movie have different animation in each segment from 2D, sketchy, Flash (ala MLP), CGI, Clayanimation, Stop Motion and anime? sounds like an ideal experiment eh?

And who likes my ideal choices for directors of each segment?

Everything sounds cool except for the CGI, CLaymation,and Stop-Motion.

From Print to Producer: Heavy Metal Magazine Finds Buyers and New Future in Hollywood (EXCLUSIVE)
New owners hope to turn Heavy Metal into a mult-platform brand for genre fans
MARC GRASER said:
The pages of Heavy Metal magazine have long held a soft spot in the hearts of Hollywood filmmakers, with the cult publication giving a voice to fans of science fiction and fantasy since the 1970s. Like every popular aging brand, however, Heavy Metal is getting a reboot, with new investors set to turn the magazine into a full-fledged entertainment banner to produce films, TV shows and other forms of content dedicated to the genre fare that made it popular nearly four decades ago.

Kevin Eastman, who has served as the sole publisher of Heavy Metal since 1991, has sold the magazine to digital and music vet David Boxenbaum and film producer Jeff Krelitz, who raised several million dollars in private equity to purchase the publication. Financial details were not disclosed.

But as part of the recent transaction, Eastman, who co-created the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, will continue to serve as publisher of the magazine, and is a minority investor in the new Heavy Metal. Boxenbaum and Krelitz now serve as co-CEOs of the company.

Heavy Metal’s new owners aren’t wasting any time, setting up the first projects to be released under the new banner.

Krelitz is overseeing Heavy Metal’s film, TV, IP and global publishing initiatives in the U.S., Europe and Asia, and already has brought in his TV shows “Red Brick Road,” a “Game of Thrones”-style take on “The Wizard of Oz,” that’s set up at Warner Horizon with Roy Lee, Adrian Askarieh and Mark Wolper; the Peter Pan-inspired “Peter Panzerfaust,” an adaptation of the Image comic that BBC Worldwide is developing with Elijah Wood; and a version of another Image book, “Chew,” as a direct-to-video animated film and live action series.

Meanwhile, Boxenbaum is managing Heavy Metal’s music, online, branding and digital initiatives from New York City. He previously co-founded and was chief operating officer of A&M/Octone Records and sold the record label to Universal.

The goal is to turn Heavy Metal into a more influential brand for mainstream audiences and genre fans the way Thomas Tull’s Legendary Entertainment has focused on tentpole titles that target the sci-fi, fantasy and horror audience with “Man of Steel,” Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy, “300″ and the upcoming “Godzilla” and “Warcraft.”

Heavy Metal already has a strong fanbase, especially in Hollywood.

First published as “an adult illustrated fantasy magazine” in 1977, Heavy Metal was seen as one of the few outlets for original science fiction and fantasy, with long-running serials written by writers like Richard Corben and Matt Howarth, while its mix of stylized erotic art took on a life of its own. “Alien”-creature designer H.R. Giger was featured on covers with Archie Goodwin’s adaptation of the film published in Heavy Metal in 1979.

In 1981, a low-budget animated film, based on the magazine’s serials was released, featuring John Candy, Eugene Levy, Harold Ramis and Ivan Reitman.

David Fincher and James Cameron had been attached to produce and direct a 10-part 3D-animated Heavy Metal film as an anthology of stories, with Zack Snyder, Gore Verbinski and Guillermo del Toro also set to direct segments. But Paramount balked at potential appeal of the project at the megaplex and ultimately passed on the pic in 2009, with Robert Rodriguez picking up the film rights to develop through his Quick Draw Studios in 2011.

Eastman wasn’t necessarily looking to sell, but was attracted to the idea of growing the brand beyond its print and digital editions into something larger.

“There are so many fans of Heavy Metal in the industry,” Krelitz said. “It was the place that inspired them to become who they are now and has the potential to be so much more,” with Heavy Metal’s new owners looking to rally creatives around the brand with their projects.

Krelitz and Boxenbaum said they want to continue to give writers, especially those working in the comicbook biz, voices through the publication, that will be revamped as both a print and online quarterly. But stories they tell could also be developed into projects for other entertainment platforms the way Krelitz has done through his Quality Transmedia banner. Krelitz also founded Contraband Films, which set up TV shows and films at Universal and New Line and published graphic novels. His Double Barrel Motion Labs also has helped studios and publishers re-purpose marketing materials for the mobile biz.

“We see the magazine as a way to test new concepts, new ideas before turning them into something else,” Krelitz said. “There are so many opportunities out there now to tell a good story.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"