New York City "bans" Overly Large Drinks.

The Squirrel

Le Rongeur
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/new-york-approves-soda-ban-big-sugary-drinks_n_1880868.html

The city's Board of Health approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s ban on large sugar-sweetened drinks at its monthly meeting Thursday morning. Nine members voted for it, and one abstained.

Under the plan, all restaurants, fast-food joints, delis, movie theaters, sports stadiums and even food carts will be barred from selling sugar-sweetened drinks in cups larger than 16 ounces.

The limits will not apply to drinks sold in grocery stores, diet sodas, drinks that are more than 70-percent fruit juice, or that contain alcohol.

I thought most juices were more or less pop.

cool. So a 40oz of malt liquor is cool. but not a 20oz of coke. makes sense.

Bloomberg's head is so far up his ass, it's pathetic. He forces this stupid law yet there is no law enforcing cyclists to wear helmets. Which is especially bad because you have idiots in bike lanes weaving in and out of traffic and ignoring traffic lights and stop signs.

Excuse, me, may I have 2 16 oz bottles of coke please?

Bloomberg's head is so far up his ass, it's pathetic. He forces this stupid law yet there is no law enforcing cyclists to wear helmets. Which is especially bad because you have idiots in bike lanes weaving in and out of traffic and ignoring traffic lights and stop signs.

Hey, if they get in an accident, only one getting hurt is them. :up: No need for a law there.

I fail to see how this helps anyone, including Bloomberg's rep. I can care less if I have a drink over 16oz and I can't see how this ban gets more attention then the fact he's been in office over two terms.

Hey, if they get in an accident, only one getting hurt is them. :up: No need for a law there.

True, but there's always a bias against the person driving the car so they're less likely to get off the hook legally.

cool. So a 40oz of malt liquor is cool. but not a 20oz of coke. makes sense.

Heh. I know, right? Hey, drink that giant alcoholic drink in the baseball stadium and then drive home. However, I don't want ANYONE drinking those giant jugs of pop/soda because sugar is the enemy! :cmad:

NO OVERSIZED SUGAR DRINKS FOR YOU!--

--the Sugar Nazi

hey, it IS New York, after all, where common sense and logic have a tendency to go out the window...

So if I were in New York and some officers saw me with a soda pop in one of the banned sizes, I'd be fined or something?

Heh. I know, right? Hey, drink that giant alcoholic drink in the baseball stadium and then drive home. However, I don't want ANYONE drinking those giant jugs of pop/soda because sugar is the enemy! :cmad:

That's what everyone at work was saying today too - you can still get an oversize beer at MSG or the baseball stadiums, but a regular size Pepsi? Nope.

It's so stupid. I work in NY, everyone thinks this is ridiculous. And 7/11 is exempt, so kids are just going to go there for their sodas. You can still get them at any store that doesn't serve prepared food....which is almost anywhere. What's the point?

Diet soda is no better, thanks to all of the artificial sweeteners it has. Juices have a ton of sugar, and chocolate milk can have as much sugar as a candy bar. It makes no sense.

So if I were in New York and some officers saw me with a soda pop in one of the banned sizes, I'd be fined or something?

No, you just can't sell them at restaurants or places like movie theaters and food carts.

This is by far the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. I hope everyone who passed this law is voted out then tarred and feathered... total overstep of boundries....

Well then, that was a good laugh. Now, excuse me while I head off to buy 20oz of some sugary, fizzy beverage.

That rule basically says to the rest of the world, "our people can't control our desire to consume copious amounts of crap so we have to dictate it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/new-york-approves-soda-ban-big-sugary-drinks_n_1880868.html
The limits will not apply to drinks sold in grocery stores, diet sodas, drinks that are more than 70-percent fruit juice, or that contain alcohol.

tumblr_m9xz306FZm1r04hw7o1_1280.jpg

And NYC makes another law that bans restaurants from selling something unhealthy when consumed in large quantity, effectively taking the choice away from the consumer and the restaurant.

It's like New York and San Francisco are having a competition to see who can pass more of these laws. And New York is winning.

So if I go to NY, I can still have a giant bucket of beer? Awesome. :o:up:

And NYC makes another law that bans restaurants from selling something unhealthy when consumed in large quantity, effectively taking the choice away from the consumer and the restaurant.

It's like New York and San Francisco are having a competition to see who can pass more of these laws. And New York is winning.

The Midwest suddenly doesn't sound so bad to you coastal elitists, does it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"