New Zorro series being planned

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by C. Lee, Nov 6, 2019.

1. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

2. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

3. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Not the worst idea, something more unique than the normal "Hey lets reboot this with a woman as the lead".
    This could actually work...i dont know how but the basic idea isnt the worst at all.

Mysteryman likes this.
  4. Travesty Registered

Wait....what? That’s exactly what they’re doing. It’s a female Zorro.

5. Calvin Ellis Retired

All I can say is I'll pass. Can't really comment on this or the kung fu reboot because if you disagree I'll be labeled as a He-Man Woman hater.

6. Sithborg Registered

Frankly, I have issue with the modern day setting. I don't care about the sex change, that is whatever. But I don't understand how you make Zorro work in the modern day without copying the arrowverse. In a worse way.

7. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

But its not THE Zorro, its about a descendant of him that happens to be a woman.
    So its not literally making it female Zorro in terms of "replacing" the original character.

Yeah, im not sure how it works in terms of the setting.
    But who knows if this goes beyond the pilot stages.

8. Travesty Registered

Yeah, but that's not what you said. You said a reboot with a female lead. That's what they're doing.

So now you're cool with a reboot with a female lead? I'm so confused by your post. :huh::hehe:

9. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

This should go straight to the CW.

10. Mysteryman Registered

It’s not a WB property. Let someone else share the Superhero Love.

11. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

If this is going on CBS or the CW, regardless of anything else, that's a big pass from me.

12. javonstokess Registered

My issue is when you bring Zorro into "modern times", it's just Batman redux. What makes characters like Zorro, Lone Ranger and the Shadow unique is they are products of their times. I'd love to see a female Zorro in it's native timeframe though.

DKDetective likes this.
  13. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Bingo. Zorro is one of the main inspirations for rich vigilante archetype of superhero, eg. Batman, Green Arrow, etc. Reimagining Zorro for modern times just creates a lesser version of those superheroes. Half of the greatness of Zorro is the setting and the culture of 19th century California. I also think people right now could use a reminder that California, Texas, and a lot of other Western States were previously Spanish speaking colonies that were annexed and absorbed by the US and whose Latin populations are often older Americans with deeper roots than a lot of white, English-speaking Americans.

Sithborg likes this.
  14. random_havoc The Golden Guardian

That's ok, I'll say it. This is a just an awful idea for tv show on many levels. First, the whole "let's just replace a male character with a female one" has been met with rousing success in Ocean's 8 and Ghostbusters... no wait they both bombed and both were terrible. Enough with the identity politics and just changing gender for the sake of changing gender.
    Second, Zorro works in its time period, not in ours. Zorro could make it with a whip and sword because at worst he was facing single shot muskets. Modern day it makes no sense. Either she won't use a sword in which case don't even call it Zorro or she will and it'll be ridiculous.

I was really excited when I heard about a Zorro TV show until I heard about the gender swap and change in time period. With the quality of shows these days it could've been something good.

15. Iron_Stark Pepperony 3000

Hard f***ing pass.

btw, these idiots better rename it La Zorra if they are going to make the character a female, otherwise it's the same as having a Batwoman in a show/movie and calling it Batman.

random_havoc likes this.
  16. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

They’ll just rename it Zorrx

17. The Batman The Dark Knight

I disagree with earlier posts in this thread. If they're doing a female Zorro, I'd prefer it be in the modern day, as it gives a better contrast to Don Diego.

I'd like to see a new project featuring Don Diego as well. We haven't gotten a major Don Diego version in decades.

18. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I’m fine with a female Zorro but it seems kinda hokey to make it modern day. For whatever reason, modern day vigilantes using antiquated weapons like swords and bows just comes off silly when people have guns. I know that Arrow and maybe Hawkeye have kinda made it work but it’s still a goofy concept. Eh. Maybe it will work though.

19. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Zorra?

LMFAO! They didn’t think this through. The term “zorra” in Spanish is a slur referring to a woman as a…I can’t say on here

20. lespaul59 Registered

Is Zorro still supposed to be a hacker? If so I'm better her computer's model will be something like SWRD and comments will be made about her using it like a sword.

21. Karelia Always Hold On To Smallville...

Wasn't there suppose to be a new Zorro starring Fez from That 70s Show? Ngl I just watched the The Legend of Zorro/Mask of Zorro films and really love them haha.

KaijuDude1992 and Slick like this.
  22. Punisher_MAX Ol' Painless

I was just about to comment this lol beat me to it.

Karelia and GREEN =w= DAY like this.
  23. Dr. From parts unknown

A female fox is called a "vixen." This has a... somewhat sexual connotation in colloquial English. (Though there is a superhero called Vixen, yes?). But I gather that "zorra" in Spanish is even more salacious/naughty. Probably best stick with "Zorro" and say that it's gender neutral. :word: