Nintendo is doing their own Skylanders thing.

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
Nintendo plans new NFC figures and games in a bid to rescue the Wii U

We hope you liked Skylanders, because Nintendo is apparently setting up its own range of toys to accidentally tread under foot. At the company's financial briefing this morning, it outlined a Mario figure that could be used across multiple titles, somehow tying into game saves too. It's not the first for Nintendo's console: Pokemon Scramble connected NFC toys to the Wii U last year. Interestingly, Nintendo had apparently declined exclusivity on Activision's lucrative Skylanders series.

These physical characters and games, grouped together as NFP (which apparently stands for both NFC Featured Platform and Nintendo Figurine Platform), will debut at this year's E3, alongside a new IR reader for 3DSes that will make the toys compatible across both the handheld and the Wii. With 3DS sales currently totaling 43 million, and the Wii U struggling to top six million, it's probably a wise business decision.

34l.jpg

35l.jpg

24.jpg

38.jpg

Considering that Skylanders and Disney Infinity did really well on Nintendo platforms, I guess it's a no brainer. I never played either of those, and I'm not sure I dig the idea of something that's such a money sinker. But I'm interested to see what it's all about.

I've always thought the idea of these types of games was neat, but as far as I can tell the actual game part of the equation has always seemed pretty weak. I imagine someone like Nintendo might actually be able to do something interesting with the concept though game-wise.

Yeah, watched GameScoop today and pretty much what they talked about that Nintendo would use these figures in OTHER games.. not just one set game. If you want a specific moveset in Smash for example it could be on a figure or you could buy a figure and it would also have a VC Classic on it.. Neat ideas...

As long as you don't need the NFC figurine for those games and getting that content, I guess it'd be okay. I'd rather they just separate it into it's own product, though, to be honest.

Iwata On Skylanders And Nintendo’s Figurine Business . May 13, 2014 . 2:00pm

“Our strategy of focusing on software has not changed,” says Nintendo’s president.
Nintendo recently announced their “NFP” project, which will introduce toy figurines that can interact with the company’s games. In addition, the company shared other initiatives to help improve Nintendo’s business as well, such as utilizing the Wii U’s online features.
In light of these reveals, at a financial results Q&A with investors and analysts, someone in attendance asked Nintendo president Satoru Iwata if the company still believed in the concept of unique software driving hardware, given that some of these initiatives sound like they’re expanding outside of the software realm.
Regarding figurines, Iwata stated: “As for utilizing character figurines, Activision has released video game titles from the Skylanders series over the past three years and Disney Interactive released the software title, ‘Disney Infinity,’ last year. Both video game series are compatible with character figurines and have created an extremely large market for these products.”
“In the overseas markets especially, a huge amount of space has been allocated to those product lines at retail stores with a large market presence. Our primary focus, however, is not to develop software that is compatible with figurines. Rather, we have been developing figurines since last year because we believe there may be different approaches or ways to appeal to consumers by using them, and this could also be one way for Nintendo to utilize its character IP.”
Additionally, Iwata also reiterated once more that Wii U-specific games that make use of the Wii U GamePad will be revealed at this year’s E3. These games, he said, are being worked on by development teams under Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto.
“The titles we are preparing to show you at E3 vary from being nearly complete to still in the early phases of development but with the core of its appeal noticeable,” Iwata said. “Therefore, our strategy of focusing on software has not changed.”

source: Siliconera

[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"