Lego Dimensions: Skylanders with Legos, Infinity with Everything Besides Disney

Tron Bonne

All Ass, No Sass
Reaction score
Well, this has been rumored for quite awhile, after a leak it has been confirmed officially that a Lego game in the style of Infinity and Skylander utilizing multiple Lego licensed projects is coming this year. Should be noted that while there is Marvel Lego sets, Marvel is featured in Infinity, which this will be in direct competition with, so no, we still aren't going to get a Marvel vs DC even in sweet Lego form.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/9/8376101/lego-dimensions-release-date-back-to-the-future-wizard-of-oz

Following this morning's leak, Warner Bros. Interactive today confirmed Lego Dimensions, a toys-to-life console game that hits Sept. 27 and will blend a variety of universes together including DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings, The Lego Movie, The Wizard of Oz, Lego Ninjago and Back to the Future.
More properties will be announced in the future, according to the press release. The game is in development by Travelers Tales Games and is coming to the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and Wii U. The starter bundle will cost $99.99, according to Toys R Us.

In addition to the game, the Lego Dimensions Starter Pack will include the Lego Toy Pad, which allows players to transport special LEGO minifigures and other LEGO objects into the game, bricks to build the LEGO Gateway, three LEGO Minifigures, including LEGO Batman from DC Comics, Lego Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings and Wyldstyle from The Lego Movie, plus the LEGO Batmobile.

"When kids play with Lego bricks, they build beyond the singular brands, intermixing all of their favorite characters and universes, and we have come up with a way for players to experience that in games," said Jon Burton, Founder and Creative Director, TT Games. "Now for the first time in a videogame, Lego fans can play in the virtual world and in the real world — combining everything without restrictions. Imagine putting LEGO Gollum from The Lord of the Rings behind the wheel of the Lego DeLorean Time Machine in New Ninjago City — the creative play is endless."

In addition to the three minifigure heroes used to start the experience, Lego Dimensions will allow gamers to customize their experience with additional expansion packs, according to Warner Bros.
Lego plans to sell level packs, team packs and fun packs that will include new buildable characters, vehicles, tools and gadgets, as well as game content with new mission-based levels and unique in-game abilities. All expansion packs will feature well-known properties and provide gamers the opportunity to use everything interchangeably, anywhere throughout the game.
Packs planned for release in 2015 include:

• A Back to the Future Level Pack with a Lego Marty McFly minifigure
  • A Lego Ninjago Team Pack with Kai and Cole minifigures
  • Three Ninjago Fun Packs with Jay, Nya and Zane minifigures
  • Two DC Comics Fun Packs with Wonder Woman and Cyborg minifigures
  • Three The Lord of the Rings Fun Packs with Lego Gollum, Lego Gimli and Lego Legolas minifigures
  • Four The Lego Movie Fun packs with Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny and Unikitty characters
  • A The Wizard of Oz Fun Pack with a Lego Wicked Witch of the West minifigure
Additional packs to round out the 2015 assortment will be announced in the months leading to launch. Further waves of expansion packs will be released regularly following the launch of the game and into 2016.
Future expansion packs will work with the starter pack "even in the fall of next year," according to the press release.
The new Lego game enters a market that was both established and dominated by Activision's Skylanders games. To date, the Skylanders franchise has brought in more than $3 billion through the sale of video games and 240 million toys world wide. Last year, Skylanders was the top selling children's video game and action figure line worldwide. The franchise is currently ranked as the fifteenth top selling of all time.
The nearest competitor, Disney Infinity, was outperformed by 30 percent globally, according to Activision Blizzard. But Disney's entry into the toys-to-life market is no slouch either. Three months after its release, the first game sold more than a million copies.
Where Skylanders is based on entirely new creations, Disney Infinity uses established characters from Disney's many movies, cartoon and television shows. In its second iteration, the franchise introduced Marvel super heroes to the game.
Nintendo recently began dipping its toe into the genre as well with amiibo toys which can augment existing video games.
While Lego is getting into a competition with three well-established brands, the company isn't coming empty handed. Thanks to the long partnership with Warner Bros., any game created with the two companies will have access to a wide variety of properties including DC Comics, The Matrix, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and the incredibly successful The Lego Movie. It's unclear which of those rights would include the right to create video games. Most recently, Warner Bros. purchased the rights to the video game franchise Five Nights at Freddy's.
Reached for comment, Activision didn't seem too concerned about losing ground to Lego, or any of the others in the growing list of competitors.
"Thanks to our fans, Skylanders is the number one kids' videogame franchise in the world and outsells all top action figure toy lines," Josh Taub, senior vice president of product management for Activision Publishing, said in an emailed statement. "The secret to our success has always been our commitment to bringing new magic and innovation to each and every Skylanders game, and we can't wait to unveil what's coming up next. The popularity of the Skylanders franchise has been unmatched even with new entrants,"
lego-dimensions-page2-portal_1128x492.jpg

lego-dimensions-page3-package_1128x492.jpg

lego-dimensions-page4-logos_1128x492.jpg

No Lego Marvel and Star Wars? That's a deal-breaker right there. :o

Nope, you'll need Infinity for those.

Nope, you'll need Infinity for those.

But they aren't Lego!

I was only kidding. The real reason why I won't get into Dimension is because I already got into Infinity, Skylanders, and amiibo. Getting into yet another toy-to-life game is going to destroy my wallet.

Haven;t played Skylanders, Infinity, etc. but I love the Lego games so I'll probably pick this up. Kinda interesting that they are putting Back to the Future and Wizard of Oz levels in. I didn't know they had the rights to those.

I'm still more looking forward to Lego Marvel: The Avengers and Lego Jurassic World then this tho.

This is going to be huge. Legos are insanely collectable. Lego batmobile and DeLorean? They are printing money here. Especially if the games live up to the quality of past Lego games.

If my kids see this game, they'll probably beg me to buy it since they really love Ninjago, but the only way I'll get into this game is if I sell off all my Infinity and Amiibo collection so I can afford this one.

If my kids see this game, they'll probably beg me to buy it since they really love Ninjago, but the only way I'll get into this game is if I sell off all my Infinity and Amiibo collection so I can afford this one.
You might want to consider it. Lego actually makes good games and they are crazy collectable.

You might want to consider it. Lego actually makes good games and they are crazy collectable.

Well, the thing is, by the time Dimension comes out the next Skylanders will come out as well. Since the Skylanders figures are backward-compatible, it is better to buy the next Skylanders than an all-new game. However, I just might sell off my Infinity and amiibo collections anyway because I hardly play them anymore.

I think it's obvious that will happen at some point.

It would be insanely awesome if their Ghostbusters line became part of this...

Story trailer.

This game is almost forgotten, maybe all the LEGO games should sit in one MEGA thread.
LEGO Batman games having a thread of their own.

Came out today. Waiting for the patch to install before I can play.

It's pretty pricey (all these toy games are) but I'll probably ran it for my son for Christmas. I simply want some of those Lego packs... Dr Who, BTTF, Ghostbusters, etc.

The Lego packs are stupid expensive I noticed. It's like $30 for a pack of three or four Legos. I mean, yeah, they have functionality with the game that regular Legos don't, but I was surprised they're selling them for that much.

Yup, picked up the BTTF one because it was on the 15.99 peg (also stupid exsoensive or one Lego figure and a tiny Lego car) got to the check out and they said it was 30.. No. No. No. 30 bucks for Lego Marty and a Delorean he can't even ride in? Riiiight.

I don't even think they're a lot bigger than the standard Lego figures, either. You can buy whole sets for 20-30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"