Nintendo sued over wrist straps

Spidey-Bat

Ours is the Fury
Reaction score
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163421.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

Last week Nintendo announced a voluntary replacement program for the Wii Remote's wrist strap, which had been breaking at inopportune times for some customers and resulting in collateral damage. Shortly after the system launched in North America on November 19, reports popped up of broken cords, followed quickly by flying controllers crashing into high-priced electronics, living room furniture, and the occasional innocent bystander. While Nintendo acknowledged the Wii strap's problem and apparently addressed it, the company might not have done so in time.

On December 6, a Wii purchaser in Austin, Texas filed a class-action suit against Nintendo, alleging the publisher of violating the Washington Consumer Protection Act (Nintendo is based in the state of Washington, where the suit was filed) by engaging in "unfair or deceptive practices" by telling consumers that the wrist strap was to prevent the controller from flying out of a user's hand during use, and then providing a strap that was "ineffective for its intended use." The suit also claims that the Wii Remote strap's problems constitute a breach of warranty, and defines the class of people who may join the suit as including anybody who has purchased a Wii.

"As a result of the defective nature of the wrist strap on the Wii remote, plaintiff's wrist strap broke on his remote causing damage to the Wii product plaintiff purchased," the suit reads. "The controller is an essential component of any video game console, and so plaintiff is unable to use the Nintendo Wii for its intended purposes as a result of the broken wrist band. Accordingly, it renders the Wii console, which retails in the United States for $250, useless."

The Wii only comes packed with a single controller, but additional Wii Remotes can be purchased for $50 each.

One of the plaintiff's lawyers told GameSpot that Nintendo's replacement program for the wrist straps will not cause them to drop the suit. As for whether purchasers of new Wii systems that come with thicker wrist straps for the Wii Remotes would be eligible to join the class-action suit, he said it would depend in part on whether the new straps adequately address the problem.

In his original filing, the plaintiff demands Nintendo cease what he sees as its unfair and deceptive practices, to refund or replace the strap with one that works as intended, reimburse him for legal expenses, and "such other and further relief as the Court deems just and proper."

As of press time, a Nintendo representative did not have a comment on the situation.

It seems fishy since it damaged his Wii, not his TV.

Morons that can't hold onto a controller but can sue, apparently.

I guess it wont be long after all for a regular controller to come out for the Wii :ninja: & you can sue for anything these days. For examble a woman sued McDonalds or whatever place that was for her coffee being to hot

AssMan said:
I guess it wont be long after all for a regular controller to come out for the Wii :ninja: & you can sue for anything these days. For examble a woman sued McDonalds or whatever place that was for her coffee being to hot

Sounds like something out of Seinfeld.

Zenien said:
Morons that can't hold onto a controller but can sue, apparently.

I LOL'd at this. This person has nothing, hope you like paying off your lawyer and then not eating for the next month, you bone head.

Spidey-Bat said:
Sounds like something out of Seinfeld.

No that did happen. That's why there are common sense warnings on everything.

Only in America is stupidity like this rewarded. Its not hard to hold on to the controller. The people that have actually had the strap rip are the ones that aren't playing it right to begin with. Theres no reason to be playing with that much force.

in baseball, at the end of your swing, do you just throw your bat as hard as you can? do you throw your racket in tennis when you go to hit the ball? do you toss your golf club as you swing? when using a sword, do you throw it at your opponent as you swing it at them? no, you dont...so why would you do this in a game? also, if people can hold onto rackets, clubs, bats, and swords in real f**king life, why is holding onto a controller so hard???

My guess is because the people who use those items aren't ******ed.

The Joker said:
in baseball, at the end of your swing, do you just throw your bat as hard as you can? do you throw your racket in tennis when you go to hit the ball? do you toss your golf club as you swing? when using a sword, do you throw it at your opponent as you swing it at them? no, you dont...so why would you do this in a game? also, if people can hold onto rackets, clubs, bats, and swords in real f**king life, why is holding onto a controller so hard???
Good post.I think this guy wants to sue Nintendo,get the money won in the settlement and buy a PS3.Oh,I forgot that his lawyer has to get a cut of the profits so after that he'll probably have about fifty bucks.I'm sorry but if I destroy my own wiimote for acting like a moron then it's my own fault.I will have to deal with it and buy another one.R Wii in the Twiilight Zone here?
Why R U blaming Nintendo?

If I destroyed my Wiimote or Wii, I would contact Nintendo to see what they could do and find out what to do since with the warranty I have. Then open my spare Wiimote and play at my friend's house until mine got fixed.

They have a regular controller for the wii.
wii-classic-controller.JPG

I have one, and it makes playing the VC games much more fun and easy.:word:

yeah, the classic controller rocks...they have all parties pretty much spoken for with it on the VC games...for people who like the NES controller, turn the Wiimote, for people who like modern controllers, use the gamecube controller, and for genesis fans, there's the classic :o

Do you have to connect the classic controler via the Wiimote?

^ Yes you do if you want it to work....it doesn't interfere though.

I love the classic controller. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"