• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Nobel Laurette's Academic Career Ended by a Single Joke

He said something, but the precise wording hasn't been publicly released, and the only transcript the news media has (which they haven't shared) indicates that he was mocking sexism in the workplace, not supporting it

You weren't there. The only information you have that corroborates your claim is from one woman who ignited a twitter firestorm. Against her testimony there are dozens of others who were there or who know him personally. So, not knowing the context, and not having the text of the comments in front of you, are you positive you want to claim this woman's opinion is infallibly true?
You aren't grasping it. He admitted he said it. The context can be questioned, his intent, but he said those words. And those words are of a sexist joke. It is the whole basis of the joke. Poking fun at the female gender and its place in the specific field.

Now his intent, you can question that. He was trying to break the ice with a rather poor choice for a joke imo.

I guess for Darth Skywalker and others its "guilty until proven innocent," eh?

You guys are so insistent on being right in your condemnation of this man on the basis of one woman's testimony that you're unwilling to hear the testimony of numerous others who support him and who interpreted the comments differently. I'm tired of this discussion, it sickens me.
Most supporting him are friends and people who know him. And well, it is kind of irrelevant. Again I wouldn't have fired him, but he did what they are accusing him of. He admitted to it.

Y
Most supporting him are friends and people who know him. And well, it is kind of irrelevant. Again I wouldn't have fired him, but he did what they are accusing him of. He admitted to it.

Oh my gosh, the PEOPLE WHO KNOW HIM are saying he's not sexist? Clearly they are biased and we should trust total strangers who HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE of the man. :o

Oh my gosh, the PEOPLE WHO KNOW HIM are saying he's not sexist? Clearly they are biased and we should trust total strangers who HAVE NO PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE of the man. :o
They have a stake in the game. They are his friends and family. Of course they are going to defend him. :funny:

I'm all for feminism and what not, but give me a ****ing break.

The Inanimate Objects Rights Guild (IORG) with petition for your to lose your job, Greens

I should have known... I issue a public apology.

Too late even though you apologized you're forced to resign

Hope you've learned your lesson: never tell jokes again

An important update to this story:

In the weeks following the initial assault, some of Hunt’s most ardent persecutors have been exposed as liars or blinkered ideologues, abetted by cynical hacks and academic rivals on a quest to bring him down or use him as grist to a political mill.

Hunt’s partial rehabilitation has largely come about thanks to the dogged investigations of Louise Mensch, the British novelist and former conservative member of parliament who lives in New York City and is herself a powerful presence on Twitter. Mensch was alarmed by what she calls ‘the ugly combination of bullying and sanctimony” in the reaction to remarks made by “an evidently sweet and kind” older man.

She did some checking on Twitter and soon found that the two main witnesses for the prosecution contradicted each other. Then she began a more thorough investigation of Hunt’s offending comments and the lack of due process involved in his punishment by various academic and media institutions. The results of her exhaustive research, published on her blog, Unfashionista.com, encouraged an existing groundswell of support for Hunt from scientists around the world but most important from Hunt’s own female colleagues and former students.

As a result, the false picture of Hunt as a misogynist opposed to the equal participation of women in science has mostly been dispelled. Hunt, who is married to a distinguished immunologist named Mary Collins, has ceased being the science academy’s equivalent of George Orwell’s Emmanuel Goldstein—the object of the Two Minutes Hate in 1984—on Twitter. Indeed, one of the Britain’s most respected female scientists, Dame Athene Donald, master of Churchill College, Cambridge, has publicly lamented the wrecking of Hunt’s reputation by “sloppy journalism fueled by self-righteous fervor.”

Once again, the mob mentality of the idiot masses is revealed to based merely in snap judgments and hostility rather than fact.

I'm an academic.

I think his words are awful and his joke was badly placed, but the reaction has been excessive. He doesn't have a track record of being problematic with women and minorities, this isn't a John Watson situation.

He should have been censured and asked to take a sensitivity course, not have his career ruined.

Note that a lot of the scientists who grandstand in both real and social media for greater equality are complete hypocrites. These scandals are as much about image and optics as they are about real social progress within science.

I'm all for feminism and what not, but give me a ****ing break.

This isn't real feminism.

Authentic feminism, in the context of academia, might mean things that actually matter and actually take effort:
- Longer-term positions for postdoctoral fellows. That's the solution advocated by a nobel laureate where I work, all of his postdocs get 5-year rather than the standard 3-year contracts. It means more stability for people aged 25-35;
- Part-time hires. The same nobel laureate I'm referring to actually did hire a husband and wife team to ~1.5x jobs, because together they couldn't work 10 days a week, they have two small kids;
- Targeted searches for faculty searches;
- Constructive sensitivity training and workshops for all staff and information on how to write recommendation letters, for example don't refer to female staff as "nice" and "helpful";
- Maternity leave;

The following, in contrast, is not helpful, it exists only to make losers feel like they are helping, and is a substitute for genuine progress:
- Witch hunts that completely destroy lives without regard for whether or not we're dealing with a witch;

You'll notice the one on the bottom doesn't cost any money to anybody, which is why it's more popular and implemented frequently.

Is that a female problem in particular, though?

Ehh, whatever. The points DA mentioned are good goals to strive toward, but it would require armchair feminists to actually read up on something. It's far easier to demonize someone based on one remark.

Is that a female problem in particular, though?

Ehh, whatever. The points DA mentioned are good goals to strive toward, but it would require armchair feminists to actually read up on something. It's far easier to demonize someone based on one remark.

There is a range of feminists out there and many of them do actually read up on things. Feminists are like conservatives, liberals, etc or any other political philosophy in that they are a heterogeneous group, and not everybody who labels themselves as such has a clue as to what they're talking about. Sometimes, however, some of them do have a serious clue. Ultimately you have to see past the strengths and failings of advocates, and think for yourself whether or not there is legitimacy to the cause of women's equality.

The issue of recommendation letters is one that has come up in discussions and meetings that I have gone to on the topic. Recommendation letters are extremely important in academia, moreso than grades for example, which believe it or not are of very minor or zero importance at higher levels. Recommendation letters should be specific, and describe skills and accomplishments in a detailed manner and how they were achieved.

The reason recommendation letters are important is that they can remove the fog of war from publication count. Publications are what matters most, but a lot of modern scientific publications have 2, 3, 20, 200, or 2,000 authors. Being on a lot of publications with a lot of co-authors doesn't mean you're a free-loader, but it's a possibility, and so a recommendation letter can explicitly state your skills and contribution to the process.

This word-cloud shows how men and women are described differently in recommendation letters:
male-and-female-words.png

http://pastspeaks.com/2015/03/31/male-vs-female-academic-reference-letters/

Another article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2572075/

Apparently if you go on twitter and call your boss a fat idiot you lose your job and everyone laughs at you.

But if you go on twitter and trash female scientist you're supposed to be immune from consequences.

Nobel prize winners are highly respected and their beliefs have sway.

If a respected scientist jokes that blacks are animals, it's not the same as if some low rent stand up comedian said it.

The person's status gives the racism or sexism more validity than usual and should be taken more seriously.

Apparently if you go on twitter and call your boss a fat idiot you lose your job and everyone laughs at you.

But if you go on twitter and trash female scientist you're supposed to be immune from consequences.

What the **** are you talking about? No one involved in this story trashed female scientists on twitter. :loco:

Read the articles before spouting off nonsense. :whatever:

Please don't compliment me as fabulous. :up:

To whom it may concern,

I am happy to recommend Erzengel for the posted position. Erz is a fabulous person, with unmatched radness and cool skills.

Sincerely,
ThePhantasm

What the **** are you talking about? No one involved in this story trashed female scientists on twitter. :loco:

Read the articles before spouting off nonsense. :whatever:

No he said it at a world conference for science journalist.

I guess that takes slightly longer to spread than saying it on a live twitter feed.

To whom it may concern,

I am happy to recommend Erzengel for the posted position. Erz is a fabulous
person, with unmatched radness and cool skills.

Sincerely,
ThePhantasm

Seconded...

Last edited:
To whom it may concern,

I am happy to recommend Erzengel for the posted position. Erz is a fabulous person, with unmatched radness and cool skills.

Sincerely,
ThePhantasm

Hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"