Octavia Spencer is Ma

I called my Grandma 'Ma', so this kind of triggers me just a bit.

This trailer got a great reaction from the audience tonight before ‘Us’.

I haven’t seen any promotion for this since the first trailer and it comes out end of this month. It’s a Blumhouse movie so it’s not like they don’t know how to market.

I've been seeing commercials all week. Mostly on the CW.

You trying to say I'm old and not hip to the kids entertainment these days?

May hit this on the weekend after Zilla. Been hearing it's pretty wild.

At first I was like ‘why would you bring kids to this’ as there were many there, then I was like ‘This needs to be shown in middle/high schools everywhere’.

Hoping to have a chance to watch it over the weekend.

I was thinking of going to see it. Anyone here seen it yet?

Yeah I did catch it yesterday after Godzilla. It's a revenge flick which gets pretty disturbing, especially if you're not used to seeing Spencer in those types of roles. Her rationale is very flimsy but probably relatable to high School kids.

This movie could have been an instant classic, but they just didn't seem to want to go all out. I left the theater with a similar feeling that I had with Brightburn, Hellfest, and Escape Room. Not a bad movie, not very scary, it has some really good performances, but they leave a ton of opportunity on the table. Octavia Spencer however is pretty damn good in this movie, she kills it in her role, no pun intended. Her performance is the reason you pay money for this movie. Anyone else in this role, you might wait for it on Netflix. Juliette Lewis and Luke Evans are pretty solid as the adults. I liked Juliette especially, she has a couple of good moments where she gets to flex her acting. The kids unfortunately are kinda bland as characters so when they are doing their thing apart from Ma, the film begins feeling pretty dry.

One thing that really helped this movie along was a lot of unexpected humor. Tate Taylor has a good grasp of that element in the film. I actually think I laughed a lot more than I jumped in my chair, not to say this is a rollicking comedy, but there are some pretty good chuckle moments and a couple of laugh out loud ones as well, and most of them are delivered by Octavia. Always good when a horror film balances laughs and scares.

I just wish they would have really went for it and made this a real hardcore horror film. Instead they played it pretty much safe from the outset. It's actually a more disturbing than scary, specifically what Ma goes through and how it is depicted, and from a horror aspect that's not a bad thing, but it isn't embraced like it could've been. Like Brightburn, if they took some real chances, this goes up a couple of points and becomes a Don't Breathe level film.

6.5/10

Made its budget back in one weekend. Wonder if we could see a sequel.

Watched it yesterday, got pretty much what I expected from watching the trailer. It was a solid flick and Octavia Spencer was great in it.

Had overall a very good time:

7.5/10

Made its budget back in one weekend. Wonder if we could see a sequel.

It would be cool to see.

Just come back from it. It was ace, really loved it and Spencer was excellent as was whole adult cast really. 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"