"Odd" DC Movies?

MadVillainy

C'mon Son
Reaction score
By abstract I mean movies that are based on characters that the GA or even some comic arent familiar with. So which abstract DC characters do you think could make a good movie?

I'll define "obscure" as not JLA/Teen Titans related.

Sgt. Rock
Enemy Ace
Unknown Soldier
Bat Lash (best western hero not named Jonah Hex)
Shade, the Changing Man (Vertigo version)
Sandman
Death
Starman (Jack Knight)
Metal Men (although keeping the budget reasonable would have to be a challenge)
Rip Hunter, Time Master (time travel story should be easy enough to sell)
The Secret Six (original MI-style team or villain version)
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld (Disney would be all over this)

The Creeper - although it may be hard for this not to come across as 'the Joker becomes a superhero' in the wrong hands.

Metamorpho - could be amazing looking onscreen.

Kamandi - could be a great Planet of the Apes type movie with the last human amongst a planet of mutants.

Captain Comet and Mike Grell's Warlord.

Blue Beetle is known but not known by the General Audience, that's one movie I'd liked to see either it be by himself or with Booster Gold as a buddy action movie.

I think The Question movie could work really well. Cast Jeffrey Donovan as the lead role and I think that DC/WB could have a huge winner on their hands

A sword and sorcery Demon Etrigan movie about the demon being bonded by the wizard Merlin to the cursed human, Jason Blood, starting in the dark ages and then set in modern time with Glenda Mark, Randu Singh, and Harry Matthews and battling Morgaine le Fay and her legions, living gargoyles from Jack Kirby's Demon comics. A Demon film could appeal to the Harry Potter fans and the Lord of the Rings fans.

A Spectre movie with a horror feeling about hard-boiled cop Jim Corrigan murdered and returning as the Spectre and avenges Jim Corrigan's murder by killing Corriagan's killers in various gruesome gory ways. A Spectre film should appeal to horror and sci-fi fans, fans of ghost stories.

A action/drama Green Arrow movie about clean cut rich Oliver loosing his money and becoming the bearded liberal crusader for the underprivileged and going after the corrupt rich fatcats. A Green Arrow film should appeal to fans of character driven dramas, action fans, rooting for the underdog struggling.

Last edited:
Green Arrow isn't really "odd"
THats a pretty safe film to make

A sword and sorcery Demon Etrigan movie about the demon being bonded by the wizard Merlin to the cursed human, Jason Blood, starting in the dark ages and then set in modern time with Glenda Mark, Randu Singh, and Harry Matthews and battling Morgaine le Fay and her legions, living gargoyles from Jack Kirby's Demon comics. A Demon film could appeal to the Harry Potter fans and the Lord of the Rings fans.

A Spectre movie with a horror feeling about hard-boiled cop Jim Corrigan murdered and returning as the Spectre and avenges Jim Corrigan's murder by killing Corriagan's killers in various gruesome gory ways. A Spectre film should appeal to horror and sci-fi fans, fans of ghost stories.

A action/drama Green Arrow movie about clean cut rich Oliver loosing his money and becoming the bearded liberal crusader for the underprivileged and going after the corrupt rich fatcats. A Green Arrow film should appeal to fans of character driven dramas, action fans, rooting for the underdog struggling.

Not familiar with the first one but Spectre and Green Arrow :up:

All are good ideas. My pick would be the Spectre, DC needs a supernatural film in their lineup.

Suicide Squad
Jonah Hex
The New Gods
The Spectre
Dr Fate
Etrigan
The Blackhawks
Kamandi
The Atom

None of the above are really known to the general audience and could be great movies. Hopefully Jonah hex delivers.

So odd as in obscure not odd as in Kubrick-esque

Hitman
Think Gross Pointe Blank with superpowers and less romance.

Kamandi
Last Man on Earth meets Island of Dr. Moreau

Creeper
Retooled as a psuedo slasher flick

Lobo
Alien Snake Plissken

Martian Manhunter as a neo-noir
Detective story with sci-fi elements

Question
Low tech, low budget detective story with comic elements

Resurrection Man
Cooler tv series maybe

Rip Hunter
Need a good time travel flick

Animal Man - think about it have we gotten a movie where a superhero balances that part of his lifestyle with a family life from any of the big two? no and that could be something fresh. Plus absorbing the powers of animals screams awesome action moments.

I thought this was going to be an argument a la the odd and even Star Trek films. :)

I want to add Shadowpact and Richard Dragon to my list, oh and Katana, too

So odd as in obscure not odd as in Kubrick-esque

Hitman
Think Gross Pointe Blank with superpowers and less romance.

Kamandi
Last Man on Earth meets Island of Dr. Moreau

Creeper
Retooled as a psuedo slasher flick

Lobo
Alien Snake Plissken

Martian Manhunter as a neo-noir
Detective story with sci-fi elements

Question
Low tech, low budget detective story with comic elements

Resurrection Man
Cooler tv series maybe

Rip Hunter
Need a good time travel flick

These sound good

Swamp Thing! Screw the other two movies. Borrow themes from the Alan Moore comics and you have something incredibly EPIC.

A man who thinks he's turned into a plant is actually a plant who thinks it's a man who becomes a GOD!

Just thinking about it sends shivers down my spine. They should make it an epic trilogy. Throw in Arcane, Constantine, Etrigan maybe, the Parliament of Trees, The Floronic Man....it would be glorious.

Based solely on "The Fly", i think David Cronenberg could pull it off, but im not sure he's the kinda guy to do sequels and such.

Doom Patrol
Challengers of the Unknown
Suicide Squad
Planetary
The Authority
Sandman (Dream or Wesley Dodds)
Starman
Black Lightening
Wild C.A.T.S.

Adam Strange - a Flash Gordon-esque space opera.

The Atom - Marvel has the right idea in developing Ant-Man in that a hero with shrinking powers could make for a great rollicking adventure film (although Atom is a much cooler name for a shrinking hero than Ant-Man).

Blackhawk - a period piece adventure in the mold of Indiana Jones and Tales of the Gold Monkey, except with a team of aviators.

Blue Beetle - I love me some Ted Kord, but a superhero film with a young Latino hero would stand out more in the marketplace.

Dial H for Hero - a kid-friendly superhero comedy/adventure.

The Doom Patrol - the World's Weirdest Heroes could make for a smash hit in the hands of Tim Burton. This is the superhero film he was born to direct.

Kamandi - as was aptly stated, Kamandi could make for a Planet of the Apes-style adventure film.

Legion of Super-Heroes - a team of young superheros who protect the galaxy in a sci-fi epic space adventure, with a healthy dose of relationship comedy/drama for good measure.

Manhunter - a kick-ass superheroine who would make for a good mid-level franchise in the mold of Underworld and Resident Evil (although hopefully with much better scripts than those films).

Metal Men - sort of like Transformers, only lighter, sweeter, and less crass.

The Question - the character would make for a very good series of low budget film noir art films.

The Sandman - an epic fantasy series.

Sandman Mystery Theatre - same as the Question, except these would be period piece films.

Sgt. Rock - if they stay true to the gritty nature of the comics they could have some great war films on their hands.

Starman - a reluctant hero who has to grow into the role his father once held. James Robinson's Starman is rich in source material for a film series.

Suicide Squad - a supervillain version of The Dirty Dozen is a great concept that can be easily sold to the general public.

Swamp Thing - a lyrical, artistic horror film. Guillermo del Toro would be the perfect director.

The Unknown Soldier - a high concept World War II actioner.

The Warlord - a sword and sorcery epic.

The War That Time Forgot - while an obscure comic book, the concept is perfect for a summer blockbuster. Cast Will Smith as the commanding officer leading his troops in a fight against dinosaurs and you have a license to print money.

Zatanna - a moderately budgeted horror/mystery franchise wherein Zatanna would be sort of like a female version of Harry Dresden as she investigates supernatural mysteries. Some of the DCU's supernatural characters - like the Phantom Stranger and the Demon - could make appearances.

I don't think the prospect of Legion, blue beetle, the atom or zatanna is that odd

The prospects aren't odd but the original post states "characters the general audience isn't familiar with" to that end, they fit here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"