Oscar Problem!!

god/devil

Civilian
Reaction score
First let me say that I do not want this thread to turn into a "my fav film deserved an oscar thread" but I want to discuss why don't the the Academy recognise certain genres of film. Over the past 20 years very little horror, rom-com, superhero films have even been considered to an oscar in a catagory that actually counts.

Speaking on behalf of comic book films there has been a few which at least deserved to be considered (X-2, BB and Spiderman). There has also been some strong performances in many comic book movies eg. Ian McKellan.

In relation to horror, there is a lot of crappy horror film been made these days but I think that as an actor it is extremely hard to act in these types of films. Take Radha Mitchell in Silent Hill, her performance was flawless but it's doubtful she'll receive an recognition for it nevermind an oscar.

So the question I put before you is why do the oscars only recognise one type of film.

(The references to actors and films and solely my opinions but I'm sure you can think of other examples)

It's all performance. Best Picture nominees almost always have their actors and actresses nominated along with them. It's no coincidence. Dramas just pull out the best performances. If the amount of nominations were expanded, maybe they'd have a chance. But I've yet to see a horror or comic book performance that was top 4 for the year.

god/devil said:
Speaking on behalf of comic book films there has been a few which at least deserved to be considered (X-2, BB and Spiderman). There has also been some strong performances in many comic book movies eg. Ian McKellan.

I'm as much a fan of comicbook movies as anyone, and while I agree there have been some high standard performances from the likes of Maguire and Bale, these are not really roles to test their acting abilities or to show their finest talent.

The only performance I can think of in a comicbook movie that deserved an Oscar is Christopher Reeve in Superman.

god/devil said:
In relation to horror, there is a lot of crappy horror film been made these days but I think that as an actor it is extremely hard to act in these types of films. Take Radha Mitchell in Silent Hill, her performance was flawless but it's doubtful she'll receive an recognition for it nevermind an oscar.

Do you honestly think she deserves an Oscar for that though? I agree she did very well, but she can only do as well as possible with an average script, and Silent Hill is not a film about drama or acting, it's about scares and special effects.

Kevin Roegele said:
The only performance I can think of in a comicbook movie that deserved an Oscar is Christopher Reeve in Superman.

I agree. He deserves an Oscar just for Lois' "death" scene, followed by that unforgettable scream.

god/devil said:
First let me say that I do not want this thread to turn into a "my fav film deserved an oscar thread" but I want to discuss why don't the the Academy recognise certain genres of film. Over the past 20 years very little horror, rom-com, superhero films have even been considered to an oscar in a catagory that actually counts.

So the question I put before you is why do the oscars only recognise one type of film.

(The references to actors and films and solely my opinions but I'm sure you can think of other examples)
I don't think many recent horror or rom-com films deserve oscar recognition in the major categories. Even the best superhero films are geared towards entertainment (where they succeed) rather than cinematic genius.

I love X2 and Spider-man but I can't see any way that they can be considered for the big oscars. Batman Begins is treading the right path though. Don't forget, when it comes to comic book movies most of us here are slightly :-)o) biased in favour of them.

I think its harder to do comedy than drama.

Honestly, i would have given carell a nomination for the 40 year old virgin.

Christopher Reeve nailed the "big three"; dramatic, physical, and comedic. He should have at least been nom'd for Best Actor.

Kevin Roegele said:
I'm as much a fan of comicbook movies as anyone, and while I agree there have been some high standard performances from the likes of Maguire and Bale, these are not really roles to test their acting abilities or to show their finest talent.

Do you honestly think she deserves an Oscar for that though? I agree she did very well, but she can only do as well as possible with an average script, and Silent Hill is not a film about drama or acting, it's about scares and special effects.

It's as much about acting as dramas are, and that's precisely the problem with the Oscars. They deem drama as the "superior" genre, they're blatantly biased toward certain types of films. Saying "oh but those types of films are just plain better and more technically sound" is purely subjective.
I think most dramas are terrible, and it doesn't show an actors talent any better than a strong horror film (and there are plenty of them) can. Making a film more sappy and longer hardly means it's more demanding for the actors or filmmakers.
The "most *insert genre here* films are trash/just not worthy" claim can be made about any genre.
The problem with the Oscars is that they're extremely pretentious and close-minded, not to mention the idiotic "oh well we screwed them over this other year so lets give it to them this year" and other political crap that they have a tendency of pulling, when that has nothing to do with the best achievements in film.

While the academy is biased against genre films, imo no comic film to date has earned any sort of academy recognition.

Comedies and Musicals are lumped into one category... That seems like a rip off of both to me. Comedies and Musicals are two completely different things and should each get their own award.

I hope someday Oscar will include in itself also Best Comic Book Adaptation nomination.

I also hate Oscar for not giving Scorsese and DiCaprio, what they deserve (4 Oscar Awards for Best Direction and another one for Best Actor in a Leading Role!!!) and choosing unworthy movies as winners in Best Motion Picture category :down

Cinemaman said:
I hope someday Oscar will include in itself also Best Comic Book Adaptation nomination.

But what if there were no comicbook adaptions that year? Or there were , but none were especially good?

That's the problem with the Best Animated Film catagory, which was really set up to stop an animation winning Best Film.

Kevin Roegele said:
But what if there were no comicbook adaptions that year? Or there were , but none were especially good?

That's the problem with the Best Animated Film catagory, which was really set up to stop an animation winning Best Film.

Every year there are 4-5 comic book adaptations and all they can be nominated.

At least, there should be 3 nominated movies.

Cinemaman said:
Every year there are 4-5 comic book adaptations and all they can be nominated.

But only at present. The comicbook movie craze will die shortly.

Kevin Roegele said:
But only at present. The comicbook movie craze will die shortly.

Ok, I'll agree with you.

But superhero movies should get much more Oscar nominations (more than had Spidey 2 and of course B89).

Kevin Roegele said:

That's odd, because the chances of an animated film getting best picture is very low, yet if there is a category specifically for animated films, an animated film would obviously win that every year, if that makes any sense.

Maybe there should be a Best Fantasy Film category, for sci-fi, fantasy, and comic book movies. Maybe even merge it with the animated film award.

But no, there shouldn't be a best comic book movie award.

I could definitely see V For Vendetta being nominated for some big awards. Let's not forget that several graphic novels, such as A History of Violence and Road to Perdition, have been nominated for the big awards, such as acting.

I'll tell you what theb oscars are. They are a sociate of old people who only wants to nominate the same actors and directors over and over again. Or the biggest contributers to the academy. They need new people to decide on nominations for things. I mean its like a political pecking order. Rings winning best picture was the only change in many years.

I'd like to see people nominated that have never been up for the top awards before. The real travesty was last years oscars in the best director catagory. Peter Jackson and Chris Nolan clearly should have at very least been nominated for best director. They had the best 2 movies of the years and they basically got snubbed because it was fiction fantasy. Which should not be a restriction to how good a movie is. I mean these movies need to be considered as something besides make up wardrobe and special effecst.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Maybe there should be a Best Fantasy Film category, for sci-fi, fantasy, and comic book movies. Maybe even merge it with the animated film award.

But no, there shouldn't be a best comic book movie award.

Agreed... though even then the Science Fiction film will probably beat out the straight fantasy / comic book movies. Let's face it the Oscar judges are elitist.

My consern is for this years is that World Trade Center will get snubbed and i thaught it was a solid good movie. Oliver Stone will likely get nomiated for director but i hope they give Cage a look and the movie as well.

I however do think that Prestige should be a good Nolan attempt at an oscar again. I hear Jackman and Bale give great performances.

I am hoping the 5 best picture choices should be these in my book.If these movies are as good as i think.
1 World Trade Center.
2 The Prestige.
3 The Departed.
4 Flags Of Our Fathers
5 The Blood Dimond

BloodyWolverine said:
My consern is for this years is that World Trade Center will get snubbed and i thaught it was a solid good movie. Oliver Stone will likely get nomiated for director but i hope they give Cage a look and the movie as well.

I however do think that Prestige should be a good Nolan attempt at an oscar again. I hear Jackman and Bale give great performances.

I am hoping the 5 best picture choices should be these in my book.If these movies are as good as i think.
1 World Trade Center.
2 The Prestige.
3 The Departed.
4 Flags Of Our Fathers
5 The Blood Dimond

I doubt almost all these movies will get nomination.

1. World Trade Center - 70% (well there is possibility, but I doubt)
2. The Prestige - 20% (if this movie gets much more positive reviews (what's doubtful), maybe it will have the nomination)
3. The Departed (most likely)
4. Flags of Our Fathers (no nominations!)
5. The Blood Diamond (adventure action drama? Nah)

This is my list:

- The Good Shepherd
- The Departed
- Good German
- Bobby

SolidSnakeMGS said:
That's odd, because the chances of an animated film getting best picture is very low

Beauty and the Beast almost won in 1992, and there was a clamour for movies such as The Lion King, Shrek, Toy Story, and believe it or not, Chicken Run (!) to be recognised.

Donnie Darko said:
I could definitely see V For Vendetta being nominated for some big awards. Let's not forget that several graphic novels, such as A History of Violence and Road to Perdition, have been nominated for the big awards, such as acting.
A History of Violence and Road to Perdition are both not very "comic booky." I doubt V For Vendetta will get any nominations that are not related to visual or sound effects. There definately have been some great acting and directing in comic adaptations, but the Academy ignores them becuase they are action movies. All these movies will probably ever get is visual or sound nominations/awards.

I think comedies are underrated by the Academy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"