Past Lives

Corinthian™

<insert witty title>
Reaction score
Do you believe in past lives? Do you feel that you lived somewhere else, speaking another language, living another life in a whole different time?

What's your personal opinion on this subject?

Bullcrap? True? Remember something from another life?

I think I was some random merchant in late 17th century Europe where I used to bang rich chics and got shot by some husband that found out I was ****ing her wife :o

I dunno, would be a really cool life if you ask me

That, and a Samurai... Dude, living that life could've rock and suck at the same time

Reincarnation is the belief that when one dies, one's body decomposes, but something of oneself is reborn in another body. It is the belief that one has lived before and will live again in another body after death. The bodies one passes in and out of need not be human. One may have been a Doberman in a past life, and one may be a mite or a carrot in a future life. Some tribes avoid eating certain animals because they believe that the souls of their ancestors dwell in those animals. A man could even become his own daughter by dying before she is born and then entering her body at birth.

The belief in past lives used to be mainly a belief in Eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism, but now is a central tenet of much woo-woo like dianetics and channeling. In those ancient Eastern religions, reincarnation was not considered a good thing, but a bad thing. To achieve the state of ultimate bliss (nirvana) is to escape from the wheel of rebirth. In most, if not all, ancient religions with a belief in reincarnation, the soul entering a body is seen as a metaphysical demotion, a sullying and impure rite of passage. In New Age religions, however, being born again seems to be a kind of perverse goal. Prepare yourself in this life for who or what you want to come back as in the next life. Belief in past lives also opens the door for New Age therapies such as past life regression therapy, which seeks the causes of today's psychological problems in the experiences of previous lives.

L. Ron Hubbard, author of Dianetics and the founder of Scientology, introduced his own version of reincarnation into his new religion. According to Hubbard, past lives need auditing to get at the root of one's "troubles." He also claims that "Dianetics gave impetus to Bridey Murphy" and that some scientologists have been dogs and other animals in previous lives ("A Note on Past Lives" in The Rediscovery of the Human Soul). According to Hubbard, "It has only been in Scientology that the mechanics of death have been thoroughly understood." What happens in death is this: the Thetan (spirit) finds itself without a body (which has died) and then it goes looking for a new body. Thetans "will hang around people. They will see a woman who is pregnant and follow her down the street." Then, the Thetan will slip into the newborn "usually...two or three minutes after the delivery of a child from the mother. A Thetan usually picks it up about the time the baby takes its first gasp." How Hubbard knows this is never revealed.

Channeling, like past life regression, is distinct from reincarnation, even though it is based on the same essential concept: death does not put an end to the entirety of one's being. In classical reincarnation, something of the consciousness of the deceased somehow enters a new body but as that body grows only one unified consciousness persists through time. Channeling might be called temporary intermittent past life invasion because there is a coming and going of the past life entity, which always remains distinct from the present self-conscious being. For example, JZ Knight claims that in 1977 the spirit of a Cro-Magnon warrior who once lived in Atlantis took over her body in order to pass on bits of wisdom he'd picked up over the centuries. Knight seems to be carrying on the work of Jane Roberts and Robert Butts, who in 1972 hit the market with Seth Speaks. Knight, Roberts, and Butts are indebted to Edgar Cayce, who claimed to be in touch with many of his past lives. One would think that channeling might muck things up a bit. After all, if various spirits from the past can enter any body at any time without destroying the present person, it is possible that when one remembers a past life it is actually someone else's life one is remembering.

From a philosophical point of view, reincarnation poses some interesting problems. What is it that is reincarnated? Presumably, it is the soul that is reincarnated, but what is the soul? A disembodied consciousness?

Reincarnation does seem to offer an explanation for some strange phenomena such as the ability of some people to regress to a past life under hypnosis. Also, we might explain child prodigies by claiming that unlike most cases of reincarnation where the soul has to more or less start from scratch, the child prodigy somehow gets a soul with great carryover from a previous life, giving it a decided advantage over the rest of us. Reincarnation could explain why bad things happen to good people and why good things happen to bad people: they are being rewarded or punished for actions in past lives (karma). One could explain déjà vu experiences by claiming that they are memories of past lives. Dreams could be interpreted as a kind of soul travel and soul memory. However, past life regression and déjà vu experiences are best explained as the recalling of events from this life, not some past life. Dreams and child prodigies are best explained in terms of brain structures and genetically inheritable traits and processes. And since bad things also happen to bad people and good things also happen to good people, the most reasonable belief is that there is no design to the distribution of good and bad happening to people.

Finally, since there is no way to tell the difference between a baby with a soul that will go to heaven or hell, a baby with a soul that has been around before in other bodies, and a baby with no soul at all, it follows that the idea of a soul adds nothing to our concept of a human being. Applying Occam's razor, both the idea of reincarnation and the idea of an immortal soul that will go to heaven or hell are equally unnecessary.

To summarize what Kritic just said- Past lives are bulls**t, and everyone who believes in them is either full of s**t or a dumbass :o

To summarize what Kritic just said- Past lives are bulls**t, and everyone who believes in them is either full of s**t or a dumbass :o
This goes back to the whole "what is true and what is not". How can you know for certain since we have no means to tell what is exactly a soul and what happens to a soul after we die if that soul exists in the first place.

Maybe there is some recycling and maybe we choose to come back after we die because we have not learned enough.

As a matter of fact, it's hard for me to not believe past lives when I believe in souls.

Perhaps is our human nature wanting to continue forever, but perhaps is that human nature that knows what's happening and is telling us what's "after the viel".

Corinthian™;12785584 said:
This goes back to the whole "what is true and what is not". How can you know for certain since we have no means to tell what is exactly a soul and what happens to a soul after we die if that soul exists in the first place.

Maybe there is some recycling and maybe we choose to come back after we die because we have not learned enough.

As a matter of fact, it's hard for me to not believe past lives when I believe in souls.

The burden of proof is on the believer we just sit on our asses watching you guys lose debates.

Believing in something like souls just because it makes you sleep better at night is foolish.

The burden of proof is on the believer we just sit on our asses watching you guys lose debates.

Believing in something like souls just because it makes you sleep better at night is foolish.
Damn the proofs and their burdens :cmad:

How can you tell it's something I believe and not something I know?

But anyways, trying to convince people is pretty pointless. I could say that I have two lives and that I can see souls, spirits and fight against evil ones in order to bring balance and how me and my friends are destined to save thousands of lives with our wicked ass magical powers of doom 5 years from now and how we will fend hordes of dark beings as they try to destroy the world and as the planet earth reaches its balance and harmony with the universe :huh:

But, would you believe me? I hardly doubt so. Even if I could strip your soul and let it see how everything is.

So yeah, forum discussions that end up like that are never ending circles.

We woudlnt believe you until you showed us...if you could somehow show me a soul, like, cut some hobo open and take it out and put it into a jar where we could jab at it with pointy sticks and have trained professionals examine it, then yeah, I'd believe you. If you could somehow prove there were past lives, like someone giving historically accurate data about one without having been exposed to any other information about said persons life, maybe it would be slightly more plausible. But some "medium" telling people they used to be Alexander the Great's chief unich or whatever does not equal knowing anything (well, other than that some people will believe anything, and pay to hear it).

We woudlnt believe you until you showed us...if you could somehow show me a soul, like, cut some hobo open and take it out and put it into a jar where we could jab at it with pointy sticks and have trained professionals examine it, then yeah, I'd believe you. If you could somehow prove there were past lives, like someone giving historically accurate data about one without having been exposed to any other information about said persons life, maybe it would be slightly more plausible. But some "medium" telling people they used to be Alexander the Great's chief unich or whatever does not equal knowing anything (well, other than that some people will believe anything, and pay to hear it).
First law of Swindling. If you can get paid for telling lies then you can get paid for everything you want.

Yeah. It's hard to see and examine a soul since we don't know in the first place. What about psychics? Telepathy. How about the Big bang? The string theory? Energy? This are also things hard to explain or even proof. However yes, I know those are scientific principles (I am studying engineering physics) and those are different from that. But still.

It's all the personal perception. Like how do we know reality is the same for you as it is for me?

We can get into philosophy and things like that

It's all perception. Like, I could tell you, "have hope in that problem you have will end sooner than you think so save all the drama you are building up, because it's worthless" and claim that I got it from an angel or buddha or whatever

99.9 percent of "evidence" for the paranormal has been debunked with rational and rather boring explanations. But then again some people would rather live in a fantasy land full of ghosts and goblins.

Corinthian™;12785658 said:
First law of Swindling. If you can get paid for telling lies then you can get paid for everything you want.

Yeah. It's hard to see and examine a soul since we don't know in the first place. What about psychics? Telepathy. How about the Big bang? The string theory? Energy? This are also things hard to explain or even proof. However yes, I know those are scientific principles (I am studying engineering physics) and those are different from that. But still.

It's all the personal perception. Like how do we know reality is the same for you as it is for me?

We can get into philosophy and things like that

It's all perception. Like, I could tell you, "have hope in that problem you have will end sooner than you think so save all the drama you are building up, because it's worthless" and claim that I got it from an angel or buddha or whatever

Things like psychics and the big bang can be proven with mathematical formulas. Got any for souls? I didn't think so.

99.9 percent of "evidence" for the paranormal has been debunked with rational and rather boring explanations. But then again some people would rather live in a fantasy land full of ghosts and goblins.

I know I would...but we don't, and I accept that. Everyone else should too.

And on the entire perception debate, I never claim to see the universe around me exactly the same as everyone else. For example, what I see as blue, someone else may see as green, who the hell knows. But there are certain things that are universal. Gravity, evolution, etc. And one of those is there's no such thing as a soul.

And on the entire perception debate, I never claim to see the universe around me exactly the same as everyone else. For example, what I see as blue, someone else may see as green, who the hell knows. But there are certain things that are universal. Gravity, evolution, etc. And one of those is there's no such thing as a soul.

:up:

Things like psychics and the big bang can be proven with mathematical formulas. Got any for souls? I didn't think so.
We have formulas for everything, but you cannot just simply say "hey, check this formula out, what is it? Oh! It's the formula for the movement of bacteria in a solution of neutral PH". Things have to be observed first then we start to reason and try to figure out how does it work. Maybe we are unable to see or even comprehend a "formula" for a soul. Maybe a soul is the exchange of electrical impulses or a single imprint in the brain that are singular to each being in the world that when you die is dispersed and rearranges itself into another body while being conserved in.. wherever.

Well, what if the soul is a belief of uniqueness in each human being. You can see traces of information on many cultures that designate something as being "the breath of life". Something unique. Who knows, maybe it does exist but we have yet to figure it out.

Corinthian&#8482;;12785690 said:
Well, what if the soul is a belief of uniqueness in each human being. You can see traces of information on many cultures that designate something as being "the breath of life". Something unique. Who knows, maybe it does exist but we have yet to figure it out.

Like many arcaic beliefs, the soul was probably there to explain in a simplistic way things people didnt understand. A persons uniqueness can scientifically be explained by genetic coding and how they're brought up. No soul required.

The problem is you have no rational reason to believe in a soul. So you're using faith (another stupid concept) because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

The problem is you have no rational reason to believe in a soul. So you're using faith (another stupid concept) because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
Perhaps I'm using faith. But, then again, faith keeps you expecting something more and makes you move when you normally wouldn't. Foolish, yes, but it lets you survive.

Yes, faith maybe stupid, but it could be a way our minds have figured out in order to survive and keep on looking.

Faith is not only faith, but curiosity and uncertainty. Those are the key things behind scientific, social, economic and other kinds of progress.

You can explain that our bodies have been molded thanks to our environment. Laws of Thermodynamics. An system becomes more organized as their environment becomes more unorganized. What about the mind?

Now, how can you explain yearnings. Art. Music. Creativity. Those are things that by the logic of our bodies is unnecessary. You don't need music or art or originality and creativity in your life in order to survive, but your mental sanity does needs it. What is this mental sanity? Why do we need it actually?

This could be your soul right there :huh:

Corinthian™;12785712 said:
Now, how can you explain yearnings. Art. Music. Creativity. Those are things that by the logic of our bodies is unnecessary. You don't need music or art or originality and creativity in your life in order to survive, but your mental sanity does needs it. What is this mental sanity? Why do we need it actually?

This could be your soul right there :huh:

No, one does not need music and art to remain sane. Music and art is the by-product of your brain creating emotions through electrical and chemical impulses.

No, one does not need music and art to remain sane. Music and art is the by-product of your brain creating emotions through electrical and chemical impulses.
But why do we need emotions in the first place? Yes, there's need for basic emotions like fear, anger and happiness. But why our brains start complicating everything into what we do right now. It is a by product but if a person is restrained from expressing itself in any way, that person can become insane and stops functioning well. Like a body, you start giving it an excess of lipids and you grow fat and your body stops functioning as it should.

Corinthian™;12785728 said:
But why do we need emotions in the first place? Yes, there's need for basic emotions like fear, anger and happiness. But why our brains start complicating everything into what we do right now. It is a by product but if a person is restrained from expressing itself in any way, that person can become insane and stops functioning well. Like a body, you start giving it an excess of lipids and you grow fat and your body stops functioning as it should.

Emotions have an evolutionary purpose, a chimp that has "love" for an infant chimp will be more likely to care for the infant.

Even if emotions had no purpose what so ever it wouldn't be case for the existence of a soul.

Emotions have an evolutionary purpose, a chimp that has "love" for an infant chimp will be more likely to care for the infant.

Even if emotions had no purpose what so ever it wouldn't be case for the existence of a soul.
bah.. sucks to receive no thought in an answer

We were getting philosophical in here!

Where's Joker when you need him?

(no, I'm not giving up, since you pretty much answered with something I already said)

I think there's some seriously wrong with my fascination over the wreck of the Titanic. If a show is on about the wreck or the end part of the Titanic movie I'll watch it. I often find myself researching it from time to time.

Iono....just something odd that sometimes I think maybe it pertains to a past life. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"