Personal Password Security

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
This is a document to help you, as a non-technical person, understand, what is a good password and what is not. It will also guide you on the right path in how to pick new passwords in the future.

Let me state that all my passwords, from Internet Forums, Websites, Bank Records, usernames and passwords on corporate computers to Bank PINS for your Debit cards are all in the same bucket. They should only be known to you and only you.

Here are the rules on how you should operate
Remember, each section is ONLY one aspect of a password, they all need to operate in synch...not just using one of the aspects. Basically, you need to build a password that meets each Aspect, then move to the next. Once you have satisfied all three, you have a good password.

FIRST - Length
The passwords length has a huge influence on how well a password meets security standards. Generally speaking, the longer it is the better.
less than 8 characters = RED (meaning not good)
between 8 and 11 characters = YELLOW (meaning ok)
12 or more characters = GREEN (meaning the length is good)

REMEMBER, length is only one aspect of the password.

SECOND - Content
What makes up your password? A good password should never simply be just 1 word. Its needs to be a combination of lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers and special characters (like !%$#, etc...)

I would reccommending taking a nice long word to start with.
Say the word = Security
add some numbers in front = 78Security
add some interesting special characters to it = 78Security#!
then of course, add something in the middle to avoid dictionary scanning software from seeing the word in your password = 78Secur11ty#!

THIRD - Personalization
How personal should a password be? Should it contain any info about myself?

First, you should NEVER use personal information that directly associated to you IN ANY WAY. This means, dont use Social Security, Drivers Lic, address, Age, Birthdate, ect. In other words, any information that is available by government documentation, these can be acquired without your knowledge. Basically a rule of thumb is, if its written down anywhere, it mosty likely NOT a good password.

Second, you should never use personal information of Family Members or personal friends either. These details connect back to you in ways you never knew.

I will modify this as I see more examples or think of more

If I use a password that is short, but toal gibberish, IE:

LMW281FISIN

Is it a bad thing?

Total gibberish is good...
Aslong as it meets the criteria...
Length...content...etc...

what do you think would be the best thing to do if you think your password has been find out?

Odin's Lapdog said:
what do you think would be the best thing to do if you think your password has been find out?

ask the mods and change the password? offhand I would try to find the sob and kill him

Odin's Lapdog said:

Talk to a od and change your password immediately.

Is there anyway I can change my password back to what I had before I got some damn message saying I had to change it? It isn't a big deal considering I always stay logged in here... but I was just wondering.

what is the recommended time for keeping a password, should you take it for granted that no one will figure it out or should you change it sometimes?

if so, how regularly are we talking about?

Odin's Lapdog said:
what is the recommended time for keeping a password, should you take it for granted that no one will figure it out or should you change it sometimes?

if so, how regularly are we talking about?

Yes you should change it. Frequency all depends on how secure you want to keep your information. At work we deal with information that is supposed to be kept extremely secure. Our auditors require us to change our password every 30 days. When we change it we cannot use the same password that was used up to 5 times back. Example: If my password today was Abc#123! then I couldn't use that one again until June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"