Places that throw away food

tzarinna said:
Some of that stuff doesn't keep well and I am very strict about following expiration dates. Open up a bottle of juice,you have 7 days to drink that bad boy and so on.

Are you kidding? Milk a week overdate is still fine for use. We never throw anything away unless its right over the edible phase- sour, furry, etc. Wastes a lot of good food otherwise. Even then, I just cut the fur off the bread and eat it anyway.

They always give a lot of leeway on dates, to be on the safe side.

Gotendbz-2 said:
This really makes me angry. One night, we drove past Krispy Kreme, and there was this guy carrying a huge trash bag, FULL OF DONUTS!!! And a couple nights ago, we went to Popeyes right before they closed, and we had a big order, but they forgot the fries, so they asked if we wanted any free chicken, and we said sure, and my Dad said "sorry that we had such a big order", and the guy said "Its okay, we have to throw it away anyway". You could feed a whole bunch of starving people with that. Dumpster divers get pretty good food.

Can't these places just take the extra food to a soup kitchen and such?

They do, Musclesforsupes house. He randors all night long, all night, all night, all night long.

lionel%20richie%20sculpture.jpg

AndThePickles said:
Can't these places just take the extra food to a soup kitchen and such?

Some do, but a lot of them just junk it. Even market stalls do. I got 10lbs of potatoes once for a handful of change because they guy couldn't be bothered to take them home.

Kyalesyin said:
Are you kidding? Milk a week overdate is still fine for use. We never throw anything away unless its right over the edible phase- sour, furry, etc. Wastes a lot of good food otherwise.
:huh:

If it has mold, I throw it out. If it's past date, I throw it out. No exceptions.

Addendum said:
:huh:

If it has mold, I throw it out. If it's past date, I throw it out. No exceptions.

They did a feature in the paper a few years ago over here- they kept food 7 days after date and tested it. I think only about 10% of the stuff was beyond using. Most things are just fine because they put so much leeway on it. Cheese can go three weeks over.

Doesn't convince me. So I'll continue to throw out out-of-date food.

Cheers.

Yeah, I'm not drinking milk past the expiration date, I rather not risk it.

The most off milk will do is give you the ****s for a few hours. If it tastes ok and isn't sour, its fine.

Kyalesyin said:
The most off milk will do is give you the ****s for a few hours. If it tastes ok and isn't sour, its fine.
Having the ****s isn't a good thing, so no

Kyalesyin said:

Um, yeah, id rather pay for a new gallon of milk. This is the lamest argument ive heard. "Hey its cool, youll only be ****ting your guts out for a few hours"

Darthphere said:
Um, yeah, id rather pay for a new gallon of milk. This is the lamest argument ive heard. "Hey its cool, youll only be ****ting your guts out for a few hours"

I've had it happen to me all of once, and that was when the milk was off enough to be smelling like bad cheese- about 10 days over. A day, or indeed a week over will not do you any harm, and stuff like bread is totally harmless.

Eh, for me, I know that it's okay for a few more days, but I don't really find myself in a situation where I should risk it. I can just afford new food.

Darthphere said:
Yeah, I'm not drinking milk past the expiration date, I rather not risk it.

I am so super paranoid about my milk, it's crazy. I sniff it every time before I drink it. In case you can't tell, I once accidentally sipped some sour milk :csad: *gag*

Agreed. Nothing sucks worse than finding out that you made a bad choice. It sounds cowardly and high maintenance, but I really don't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"