PLAYSTATION 3 FIRMWARE UPDATE 1.5: Playstation 2 Image issues FIXED

Zenien

Reaction score
colbertIcalledit.gif

THE DAY IS HERE! FIRMWARE 1.50 HAS FIXED THE GLITCH!!!!
Thank you to everyone who contributed their experiences, pictures, and support. My thread would be nothing without you. I truly believe that we greatly expedited the process of getting this addressed by Sony. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

At the risk of sounded extremely sappy, I really am going to miss some of the big contributors to this thread. We had a common problem and really pulled together to get this issue out there on the web beyond this forum.

The-Sarge, Esuom25, RUSerius, Smooof Ed, Telemundl, mechakucha, topbravo, Blykmik, technoMyst, RedRedSuit (sorry for those I missed) thank you for your tenacity. Especially you Sarge. Remind me never to piss you off. LOL. Slurrey, thank you for the controversial video that garnered so much attention.

IT'S FIXED PEOPLE! Now this big ol' thread can retire.

I decided to start this thread because many of my PS2 games were looking horrible on my HDTV when played through the PS3. The games look fantastic when I play them via component from my PS2. So I used the SAME component cable on my PS3, kept the picture adjustments the same, and even set the PS3's output resolution to 480i to emulate what the PS2 was doing. Here are my results on the SAME TV. Since I am setting up my PS3 to the SAME conditions that my PS2 outputs, I do not believe this is a TV issue as some here have asserted. Sony thus far has played dumb when we call them. Look at the screen caps below and you decide.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=808212

Sony has made Firmware version 1.5 available for download in the states and users everywhere are reporting that the scalling/filtering issues that made PS2 games look jaggy when running in a Playstation 3 are now completely fixed.

Playsation 2 games running on your PS3 will now look identical to how they were looking when played in a PS2.

Oh yeah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDk7B9uoqM

To see the fix in action: http://putstuff.putfile.com/40586/920469/

thanks. I hope this shuts a few people up now

sweet news, now i can buy gow II and play it on my ps3.

if i get a ps3 soon that is.

Hehe. So many reasons for this to be the best console arond, but so many obvious reasons to wait a year before purchase.

Yeah too bad you need your usb cable after your done which I didn't know and now I can't play my Playstation 3. All I can do is just look at Resistance and pretend i'm playing it. :(

P.S.

If your wondering why I can't use my USB cable is because I left it at my uncles and i'm not getting it back for a while. My brother let me borrow his for a little while but he's off at college now. This sucks.

You need a USB cable to play Playstation 3 games ? That sounds silly unless its the PS3 connection to the TV then thats just stupidity taking the system home & not the main connection :o

PS3 controllers are all wireless, the one that comes with the PS3 comes with a USB cable to recharge the controller when it's runnign low on batteries. Without a USB cable you can't recharge the controller.

-----------
Apparently the games look better (slightly higher framerates when the framerate isn't software locked) better sound output and an overall crisper image because of the rendering on the PS3.

It seems to, SOTC seemed to run a bit smoother. In some other titles, certain explosions and man on screen problems that caused some slowdown seemed minimal if non existant. Can't vouche for all titles though. Load times however are faster for every title, don't feel this was intended though, simply the drive.

it's like an extra level of AA is being applied everywhere. Everything has this smooth, glossy look. No more PS2 softness. SOTC looks like it's being put through a high-def filter or something.

the only game i've tested so far that fares better with progressive scan enabled is god of war 2. sotc, mgs 2 and jak 3 look AMAZING at 480i. it's like seeing high-res bullshots of PS2 games but in motion!

One thing I'm noticing playing PS2 games on PS3 is that they sound A LOT better. I was just playing Yakuza 2 last week on the PS2 and using the same optical cable at the same volume level playing it through the PS3 has a lot more UMPH. Using pro-logic II (which I used on both PS2 and playing PS2 on PS3) there's a lot stronger LFE and the voices and sound effects are a lot more crisp. I think the audio output on the PS3 is a good deal better compared to the PS2.

- GAF

Very good news, hope this stops the "Dude PS3 sux, you can't even play PS2 games on it" talk on the Sony boards here lol.

Yep. Good to see those arguments can be banished to the history books. A major selling point for Sony has always been its backwards compatibility, so it's good they've fixed the problems that were present early on.

*Ignores the Sony fanbots on this page*

But this still doesn't fix my Guitar Hero problem :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"