Portable Applications via a USB Flash Drive

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
Greetings all.

I dont know about you all, but I have recently purchased a nice 4GB USB flash drive.

I then installed a series of portable applications on it to be used on any computers. Its quite nice. Imagine this. You pop in the USB drive and start the USB autorun application. This runs the PStart application that then sits in your TASKBAR on the bottom right, here is how it looks.
1.jpg

If you then click on it once, it acts like a START menu, you see the applications you installed on your USB Drive. Here is a screenshot of what this looks like.
2.jpg

Here is a larger version of the PStart menu, that you can see has a menu at the top to make changes to the menus, ect...
3.jpg

This is a great option instead of a huge external harddrive. You can take it with you everywhere you go, run applications that might not be installed on the master computer, and leave no trace of the application. For instance, you can actually have a game loaded on it (as long as its portable) and play it from your USB drive. Or another good one, is have a portable version of Clam Antivirus on the drive so you can take it and scan computers. You can also have a browser, mail client, Office aplications ect installed.

This is a great option other than an external hard drive, and great for when you move computer to computer.

As you can see via the screenshot in the first post, I have the following applications installed:

Mozilla Firefox (browser)
Mozilla Thunderbird (email)
OpenOffice (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, and database)
Sunbird (calendar)
ClamWin (antivirus)
Gaim (IM client for MSN, YIM, AIM)
FreeCommander (Windows Explorer alternative)
NVU (webpage editor)
7-Zip (compression program)
Filezilla (FTP client)
Foxitreader (PDF reader)
Soft Perfect Recovery (file recovery program)
FreeCiv (game - Civilization opensource remake)

I have a 2GB flash drive of Mac apps that I do the same thing with, Malice. :up:

jag

jaguarr said:
I have a 2GB flash drive of Mac apps that I do the same thing with, Malice. :up:

jag

Great minds think alike

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"